Shielded Cables - Necessary or Not?

Samurai7595

Shielded Cables - Necessary or Not?
« on: 2 Aug 2013, 12:05 pm »
When purchasing interconnects (balanced and unbalanced) and speaker cables, is shielded cables really necessary?

If so, for which cables/components?

By the way, are any of the Bryston cables shielded (analog and digital)?

For example, in my system I have the following connects:
- turntable to external phono pre-amp (RCA unbalanced)
- external phono pre-amp to stereo pre-amp (XLR balanced)
- digital player to external DAC (digital BNC)
- external DAC to stereo pre-amp (XLR balanced)
- CD player to stereo pre-amp (RCA unbalanced)
- stereo pre-amp to stereo power amp (XLR balanced)
- stereo power amp to speakers (single wire pairs w/ banana plugs)

Which of these connections/components (if any) would benefit from shielded cables?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Shielded Cables - Necessary or Not?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm »
Cables are antennas so shielding is important in my opinion.

Balanced cables have a shield (third wire) that shunts to ground which is why I recommend utilizing Balanced cables if possible. Common mode rejection is what balanced cables do well so it prevents the outside electrical (RF etc.) world from affecting the inside audio world of your system.

james

ttsto

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2013, 01:44 pm »
This is another one of those subjects that is constantly debated. If noise, hum, etc. are a problem, then obviously shielding is necessary to deal with those "antenna" problems. However, if you are lucky enough to have a system and locale that are not subject to noise & hum problems, many people find unshielded interconnects to offer a more nuanced and better resolved high end (the ultimate resolution capabilities of your system are also a factor.) I have yet to hear hear a shielded cable that seems to have as delicate and refined high frequencies as a good unshielded cable (with the admission that I've not heard many of the cables out there.) The best thing to do is to buy used interconnects you can sell for little to no loss and try both for yourself. All too often, what is applicable in one system is contradicted in anther situation. That's why we debate and argue over these things endlessly!  :roll:
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2013, 11:05 pm by Photon46 »

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2013, 03:18 pm »
  Since I went shielded from the cd player to the power amp my entire sound has improved on all levels. The highs are more articulate and smoother with a tighter bass. Some external noise can enter your system even if you aren't directly aware .  One time before the balanced thing I got an occasional taxi radio reception coming from the right channel.  Of course it may depend on your components as well.  My units are Bryston from source to amp.  :dance:   

lokie

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2013, 03:51 pm »
I have yet to hear hear a shielded cable that seems to have as delicate and refined high frequencies as a good unshielded cable (with the admission that I've not heard many of the cables out there.) The best thing to do is to buy a used interconnects you can sell for little to no loss and try both for yourself. All too often, what is applicable in one system is contradicted in anther situation. That's why we debate and argue over these things endlessly!  :roll:

My sentiments exactly.

Samurai7595

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2013, 03:13 pm »
What about speaker cables, are there any benefits to getting shielded cables?

Anyone know if the Bryston speaker cables are shielded?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2013, 03:26 pm »

No advantage.  Bryston uses a 4 conductor weaved cable to reduce self inductance in the cable.

james

Shadorne

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2013, 03:54 pm »

Absolutely not. A shielded cable will have higher inductance. This will roll off your highs. Remember your speakers are a low impedance load and your power amp has low output impedance.

Rule of thumb:

Speaker cables should have low resistance and low inductance
Interconnects should have low capacitance (especially important with lower quality consumer gear, some good quality pro gear is built to handle longer runs and higher capacitance, (Bryston for example).