Why did you purchase the Bryston BDP Digital Player?

Samurai7595

This is coming from someone looking at adding a digital player/streamer to his system...

What made you purchase the Bryston BDP-1 or BDP-2 digital player/streamer instead of going with some other company's streamer like Linn, Naim, Meridian, Wadia, Olive, etc.?

jjc1

Re: Why did you purchase the Bryston BDP Digital Player?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2012, 07:09 pm »
Ease of use and  Sound quality. Once your CDs are ripped to a hard drive or flash drives and downloads are put on hard drives or flash drives it is basically a matter of connecting these drives to the BDP and playing the music .There are numerous interfaces that can be used to control the music. And the quality of the sound is as good as CD players costing much, much more. I no longer use a CD player except for SACD and there is a way of ripping these but that is another matter and can be found here on this forum.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2012, 07:35 pm »
Ease of use and  Sound quality. Once your CDs are ripped to a hard drive or flash drives and downloads are put on hard drives or flash drives it is basically a matter of connecting these drives to the BDP and playing the music .There are numerous interfaces that can be used to control the music. And the quality of the sound is as good as CD players costing much, much more. I no longer use a CD player except for SACD and there is a way of ripping these but that is another matter and can be found here on this forum.

What was the CD players costing much, much more you compared the BDP to? Also, what was the DAC you were using?

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2012, 07:37 pm »
This is coming from someone looking at adding a digital player/streamer to his system...

What made you purchase the Bryston BDP-1 or BDP-2 digital player/streamer instead of going with some other company's streamer like Linn, Naim, Meridian, Wadia, Olive, etc.?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111638.0
The way that these two digital  gears from Bryston are operating together make the other brands behind for number of reasons. Unless you do not want to have any digital player in your set up or you are one of those people that do not like Bryston.
1.Price is reasonable even if some out there think it is expensive.
2.Sound is great and digital does not get any better and if it does you either won't pay for it or cannot pay for it.
3.The cheaper ones are not build better and you won't get the same customer support and service as Bryston does.
4.The other brands could cost you more for different reasons such as import fees,interface,color or etc.... but not for sound quality.
Now,be your own judge.

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2012, 08:12 pm »
There may be better DAC's out there (if you are prepaired to pay),
but as a digital source the BDP is extremely difficult to beat.

For me the improvement that high-rez recordings offer is not as spectacular as the difference between redbook direct from the (B)CD or redbook the BDP way.

Also: no network - streaming - mumbo jumbo

Cheers,
Bob 

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:17 am »
1) Simple playback 
* I didn't want to have another computer or nas box always running to serve the music over a network
* With a large library, I wanted a remote on a tablet/smartphone to adequately search through the music
2) High-Rez playback:
* Support FLAC, AIFF and WAV as a minimum
3) Sound
4) User managed storage
* USB thumb-drives/HDD is perfect.  (Would have loved to see a SDXC slot though)
* Can add music over the network (rsync for those linux geeks)
5) Needs to be silent and without a fan.

The BDP-1 is still the best sounding source i've heard to date.

Jim

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2012, 09:39 pm »
hi, Samurai!

the BDP is very easy to use and the sound quality is stunning. but it always depends on the recorded material of course.

Bryston's Digital Player is simply a fantastic piece of hifi gear :thumb:.

al.