xcd-88: how easy it is to swap its opams with opa627?

ghersh

there are some postings about xcd-88 regarding its 'too brittle' sound, esp. in highs, and suggestions that replacing its opams with opa627 may possibly improve the sound (just like it does with Music Hall CD-25).  Can anyone answer whether replacing opamps requires desoldering, or you just pop the old ones out and push the new ones in and. (my understanding is opa627 requires a special adapter for such an operation, but it's available from several DIY places). Of course, would like to hear the comments directly from AV123 - whether it is something which may improve the sound and if so, is it possible for av123 to create the custom version of XCD-88 with opa627? TIA.

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2005, 04:18 pm »
We will be offering modified units in the future... :)

Sean

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2005, 05:38 pm »
From what I have read from DIYers more skilled than myself that the 627 is particularly finicky to the circuit around it, i.e. is not a great opamp for blindly rolling into circuit XYZ.   Of course, by all means try it, but if you don't get results you had hoped for don't give up and write-off the 627, you may just need to look to another opamp.

ghersh

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2005, 08:02 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
From what I have read from DIYers more skilled than myself that the 627 is particularly finicky to the circuit around it, i.e. is not a great opamp for blindly rolling into circuit XYZ.   Of course, by all means try it, but if you don't get results you had hoped for don't give up and write-off the 627, you may just need to look to another opamp.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually the reasoning went like this. XCD-88 is essentially the same as Music Hall CD-25 (I don't know if this is true or only partially true or false ...), and a few places offer modded CD-25 with OPA627 replacing the original opamps, there was one review on 6moons regarding this mod, fairly positive review. So if it works with CD-25, why not try it with XCD-88?

Of course, if AV123 will be offering their own version of this kind of mod, I would rather wait for them to do so. At least I won't void the warranty this way.  :D