Sony STR-DH190

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Sony STR-DH190
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2019, 02:52 pm »
This one could be the same unit in a slightly different case, with better binding posts.  Most of these units are not made in a company factory (Sony) where wages and benefits are too high to manufacture at this price point, they're contracted to Chinese facilities where numerous manufacturers run on the same line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OZ5852Q/ref=psdcmw_14269301_t2_B00P6NK812

drphoto

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2019, 04:54 pm »
You could be correct, and if so, be a better solution than modding the Sony.

Again, the key here is discrete components in the amp section, not chip amps and maybe more importantly a linear PS. This is  rare in mass market audio.

Great for those starting out, or wanting a 2nd system  or way better than average computer audio.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2019, 07:31 pm »
Different enough to not be sure.  I like the layout of the Sony better, the Sony has a direct mode button, that usually bypasses tone and loudness controls for a supposedly purer sound.  The Sherwood may have that in the menu screen, but no mention in the blurb for it.  And of course the better binding posts on the Sherwood.  Both amps are spec'd the same, such as it is, and both show a power supply deficiency with only 40Hz to 20kHz +/- 3db at rated power, 8ohm.  Not a real problem given the price and speakers one might pair with it.

I was thinking about the tone controls affecting the sound or not.  The electronic nature of the controls might not affect the sq as much as manual controls?  In any case it can be easily tested with the Direct button.

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2019, 04:33 am »
Hey gang. New update. Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I had Reality Cable make me a short set of speaker cables with pins on on end, thinking I could use them on the spring loaded terminals on the Sony. Turned out to be a dumb idea, as I ended up breaking the terminals, as the barely open. At best you could insert tinned 14 wire in them. Well I guess now I will get to try an upgrade, so ordered a generic set of real binding post from Parts Express. But knowing it my take forever to find the time to install, I bought an Onkyo TS-8020 from BB. Similar if not better specs and again a linear PS and discrete transistor amps. But it had real binding post.....albeit, the really crappy consumer grade ones really meant for banana plugs. As per the above post, I thought well maybe it's the same amp with a different name. I really like the design of the Onkyo, real physical knobs for the tone and balance controls.

So are they the same amps made in same Malaysian factory in a different case? Sorry, NO. Not even close in sound. This amp barely gets the job done. It is distinctly mid fi. Despite having better posted specs it runs out of gas pretty quickly. Everything sounds much more compressed. I don't hate it, but it does not come close to the Sony for sound.

Hopefully I can successfully install the binding post on the Sony, but it will be tricky as these modern amps don't use P to P wiring. I'll have to completely disassemble the chassis to figure out the contact point.

Sorry for the long winded ramble. But for me, the Sony is a true Cheap and Cheerful champ. I should have stayed with that idea and accepted that part of being C & C is using 'lamp' cord speaker wire. 

ginetto61

« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2019, 07:45 am »
I wonder if any other model of the  Sony STR-DHxxx  family has similar performance.   Usually products from same series share some design approaches and technical solutions like discrete output devices and linear power supply  :scratch: 
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2019, 01:07 pm by ginetto61 »

ginetto61

« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2019, 07:49 am »
sorry wrong post :duh:

jmc207

« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2019, 04:07 pm »