Sony SS-CS5 Bookshelf Speakers

smata67

Sony SS-CS5 Bookshelf Speakers
« on: 23 Nov 2019, 04:05 pm »
Possible candidate for Cheap and Cheerful.  I have not  heard these myself, but I've come across several several very positive reviews on these and their prices have been around $75/pair shipped at the major retailers off and on since this summer. 

Appears to be Sony's attempt to compete with the AJ Pioneers in the budget category.  This "3 Way" has a 5 1/8" woofer, 1" tweeter and 3/4" "super tweeter" in a bass reflex enclosure.  53-50KHz frequency response.  6 ohms.  87 dB.  Roughly 7" x 13" x 7".  Interesting how they configured the front baffle to reduce edge diffraction with the grille on and mounted the tweeters to address combing.  If anything, a source for argument over the merits of a "super tweeter."

Full description here:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/speakers/ss-cs5

charmerci

Re: Sony SS-CS5 Bookshelf Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2019, 05:31 pm »
For a few dollars more, zeiglj says these are much better.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165705.0

I have them and modified (I've braced and dampened the cabinets), I think they're amazing for $82.

Though apparently, they will sell out soon.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2019, 03:45 pm »
I and many others much prefer the DCM TP160S speakers over the Sony Core

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2019, 12:34 pm »
At this price point I'd definitely look for 1 or 2 way designs to get quality components to get better fidelity and give up efficiency, frequency extremes, etc.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2019, 09:58 pm »
I have the floorstanding version, the SSCS3. Got them on sale for $200 for the pair back in July. I'm still amazed by how good they sound.