Hipsters...

JP78

Re: Hipsters...
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2012, 03:10 pm »

Despite the rising prices, I'm glad that I have more access to vinyl (new and used) than I did ten years ago.

That's exactly how I feel...be thankful for the demand, because it increases our supply. Without the resurgence of LP demand, I'm not sure I would have my favorite Radiohead albums on vinyl. :)

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:59 pm »
Why don't we just stay away from putting down people and their chosen looks and tastes here on AC?

A lot of people who could be pejoratively labelled as hipsters are supporting a lot of exciting and innovative artists by buying their albums and going to their shows. A lot of them are turning other people on to vinyl and its virtues. In the big picture all of that is a good thing for music lovers, performers and audiophiles.

Sure some are trust-funders.
Sure some are caught up in appearances.
Just like in any other group you choose to look at.

And if you don't like their looks, then don't date them.

Delta Wave

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:31 pm »
Why don't we just stay away from putting down people and their chosen looks and tastes here on AC?

A lot of people who could be pejoratively labelled as hipsters are supporting a lot of exciting and innovative artists by buying their albums and going to their shows. A lot of them are turning other people on to vinyl and its virtues. In the big picture all of that is a good thing for music lovers, performers and audiophiles.

I would have to agree, as nauseating as they may be. And I live in a town with three universities... I can at least catch a break from them in the summer.

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:52 pm »

Amen.  I'm down.  I sure as hell did not join this site to to discuss any of that...so, no more.

......and there's the fact that I likely listen to and buy a lot of the same music as these guys, along with my (Small) Faces.

watercourse

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2012, 06:12 pm »
Geez guys, don't take it so seriously., this is all tongue-in-cheek if you can't tell from the title or the rest of the thread. Or don't take it at all and move along to a kinder, gentler thread.

This thread is for hipster haters. They were known as posers back in the day.

You can dress the way you like, but get your fancy hands away from the small supply of cheap records left!

midfi

• nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:06 am »
Ok...but come on, if some kids are interested in learning that, hip or no...I'm all for it.  They sure as hell weren't born knowing it.

A lot of this is funny.  Really.

I absolutely have had my share of annoyances with "hipsters."  Working and playing in the music industry for ages and working in specialty coffee...now talk about hipsters. If you don't already know, the amount of overlap b/w the coffee world and music "hipster" scene is nuts.

I know the annoyances is what I'm saying.  I've spent a lot of time living and visiting big cities in the US.  I could make some joke like....why do you think I moved to the middle of Africa?!!

A lot of these "kids" annoy me as much as anyone here, but.....

I stand by my original posts.  I don't think all of this is a "hipster" problem, it's just easy to place blame on annoying as f&*^ kids who are wearing pants 5 sizes too small, with their guts hanging out, and spottily grown beards.

Despite the rising prices, I'm glad that I have more access to vinyl (new and used) than I did ten years ago.

I know what you mean I'm just kidding even though the Faces versus the Small Faces thing did happen.  You would have thought they would have looked 6 feet to their left and said "hey, lets ask the old dude!" as I would have told them to buy them both.  The Autumn Stone and A nod is as good as a wink were the 2 albums, how could they lose????  8)

E4T

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:30 am »
I know what you mean I'm just kidding even though the Faces versus the Small Faces thing did happen.  You would have thought they would have looked 6 feet to their left and said "hey, lets ask the old dude!" as I would have told them to buy them both.  The Autumn Stone and A nod is as good as a wink were the 2 albums, how could they lose????  8)

Haha...they should have done that for sure!  No way they could have lost with either of those, and they would have gotten the answer they were looking for!

E4T

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:44 am »
Geez guys, don't take it so seriously., this is all tongue-in-cheek if you can't tell from the title or the rest of the thread. Or don't take it at all and move along to a kinder, gentler thread.

This thread is for hipster haters. They were known as posers back in the day.

You can dress the way you like, but get your fancy hands away from the small supply of cheap records left!

No no, I get it, and I realize that you have a sense of humor based on your responses to my posts.  Believe me, I make fun of plenty things and people (in good fun)....

To be honest, my suspicion is that this entire forum is filled with people that can be laughed at.  A bunch of Hi-Fi dorks?  Come on! 

All the best.  Gonna go put on another record....
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2012, 06:12 am by E4T »

orthobiz

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:19 am »

All the best.  Gonna go put on another record....

And another cup'o'joe...or is it too hot?

Paul

Rclark

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jan 2012, 02:50 am »
Hey at least they're BUYING music. Most people now are happy to steal low quality mp3's. Plus those guys are gonna need sweet gear to play them on and an Ipod isn't quite gonna cut it. Then they will get to hear their record versus their stolen mp3's. An audiophile is born.

Win win, I say.

SET Man

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:46 am »
Hey!

Hmmm... interesting. :D

Here in NYC I do noticed that the price of used vinyls have gone up somewhat in record stores. But you can still find vinyls for a few bucks around flea markets on weekend... sadly I'm working on weekend and no longer have time to do that.

Anyway, I think it is more than hipsters here in question here. We the so called audiophile have to do with that too. There are more audiophiles getting in or back in to vinyl for than ever. Look of how many new turntables available now, especially expensive one.

Yes the price of vinyl new or used have gone up. But what is a positive side of this? Well, there are more new releases on vinyls now than couple years ago and of course more and more reissued alums out there... (although some of them are questionable when is come to remastering, was it done all in analog or digital? Also, sadly most new musics release are so compressed these day :roll: )

And as someone here mentioned before. At the end it is all about supply and demand. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

E4T

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:11 am »
And another cup'o'joe...or is it too hot?

Paul

Haha, for sure.  Having a morning cup now!  Weather here is pretty amazing actually!  Rainy and Dry seasons, but mid 60's to mid 80's (F) year round...high elevation. 

I miss the seasons, and skiing in the winter, but the weather is great....can't say the same for everywhere I've been in East Africa.

Delta Wave

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:31 pm »
Hey at least they're BUYING music. Most people now are happy to steal low quality mp3's. Plus those guys are gonna need sweet gear to play them on and an Ipod isn't quite gonna cut it. Then they will get to hear their record versus their stolen mp3's. An audiophile is born.

Win win, I say.

Too true! :thumb: