Exceptional Dvorak: New World Symphony

Ern Dog

Exceptional Dvorak: New World Symphony
« on: 30 May 2014, 03:36 pm »
I'm slowly building a collection of classical music cd's and I'd like to add Dvorak's New World Symphony. I haven't heard it yet.  There are so many versions of this that it's confusing to know which one to buy. I'm looking for a version that is recorded exceptionally well, with an exceptional performance.  For the format, it would need to be a cd or download, since my source is a music server.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Ernie

Pycroft

Re: Exceptional Dvorak: New World Symphony
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2014, 04:12 pm »
I've always been a Bernstein Lover:

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Symphony-Carnival-Overture-Slavonic/dp/B00000C293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401466226&sr=8-1&keywords=dvorak+symphony+9

Can never go wrong with the NY Philharmonic! Tempo's are great, the third movement (My fav) really rings, and the recording is good.

James

JonnyFive

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2014, 05:02 pm »
James, thanks for that recommendation.  I'm going to pick that one up.

I have a blu ray recording:

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Symphony-Nos-Blu-Audio/dp/B004EL1ZHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401469305&sr=8-1&keywords=dvorak+symphony+9+blu+ray

I've definitely enjoyed it, but I'll be curious to hear Bernsteins take on things. -Jon

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2014, 05:04 pm »
Either Ivan Fischer with the Budapest Festival Orchestra, or George Szell with the Cleveland Orchestra will fit the bill.

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2014, 05:30 pm »
I'm slowly building a collection of classical music cd's and I'd like to add Dvorak's New World Symphony. I haven't heard it yet.  There are so many versions of this that it's confusing to know which one to buy. I'm looking for a version that is recorded exceptionally well, with an exceptional performance.  For the format, it would need to be a cd or download, since my source is a music server.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Ernie

Wow, I'd love to experience again hearing that symphony for the first time, and don't stop with the "New World." His symphonies 7 and 8 are equally good.

firedog

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2014, 06:19 pm »
http://www.channelclassics.com/fischer-90110.html

Channel Classics. Recorded in DSD. Available in download as DSD, and all forms of PCM- high res, CD quality, and mp3.

FANTASTIC SOUND. One of the better sounding recordings of a symphony orchestra you will hear. Very good Performance. Complete album contains Dvorak's New World and also his Symphony No. 8.  A total of 8 tracks.

You can buy individual tracks also.

BobRex

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2014, 06:25 pm »
Kersetz (sp? - I'm working from memory here) on Decca is very good, great example of mid-late 60's Decca sound.  Soundwise, there is also an early Telarc - I'm thinking Slatkin - that's up there.

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2014, 08:29 pm »
http://www.channelclassics.com/fischer-90110.html

Channel Classics. Recorded in DSD. Available in download as DSD, and all forms of PCM- high res, CD quality, and mp3.

FANTASTIC SOUND. One of the better sounding recordings of a symphony orchestra you will hear. Very good Performance. Complete album contains Dvorak's New World and also his Symphony No. 8.  A total of 8 tracks.

You can buy individual tracks also.

This version got my attention.  I think I'll try the Studio Master 24/96 download version for $20.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2014, 09:11 pm »
Fischer does have the best sound but I found his rendition a little prosaic. I prefer Jarvi (Cincinnati) and Masur (NYP), both also in excellent sound.

Perhaps the best I've heard is Ancerl (with Ma Vlast, on Supraphon): limited sound but the most idiomatic performance.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2014, 09:38 pm »
....His symphonies 7 and 8 are equally good.

+1    :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2014, 10:01 pm »
I love this recording.  (I have it on SACD).

nexer

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2014, 02:33 pm »
I do like Kubelik's version, but that's a personal preference.

Dvorak 9 is a relatively straightforward piece and extremely lyrical, over the top schmaltzy even.  :)  It's difficult to do this piece poorly IMO.  Get a few used CD's.   They should be about a couple bucks apiece.