Intro from a $500 sub to Triple servo H frames

Dagoods

Intro from a $500 sub to Triple servo H frames
« on: 15 Jan 2021, 03:53 pm »
Greetings All.

Been an audiophile for 50 years and my current system is all Tube.

It always starts with a simple idea. I wanted to use an extra tube amp and add just a $500 sub to go with my 1.6 Maggie’s (the one’s in Danny’s recent YouTube tech talk). And this afternoon Killian is delivering  2 triple servo H frames. I was lucky enough to pick up the drivers from Danny before he ran out of stock. My excitement level is of the charts today.

I live in Texas and Mid December I was fortunate to be able to go to Danny’s shop. He measured the Maggie and provided me with everything I needed to do the upgrade. The new crossovers made a stunning change. I did a side by side comparison and the upgraded speaker sounded like a heavy blanket had been taken off it. Over the last few weeks the bass is more defined and tighter, and the fuzzy edge on the tweeters is completely gone. The clarity and detail make it like having a whole new vinyl record collection. 

Danny and Killian have been fantastic and I greatly appreciate all their help and guidance.  I’ve been around the site for months and I have gained a wealth of knowledge from all the people on the circle. Frankly my eyes glaze over trying to understand some of it. I know I will have many questions and hope that I ask the right ones.

I will post once I start to build out the H frames. If all works out planning on cherry veneer with a dark cherry stain. Already built and veneered the amp boxes. They are ready to stain.

Thanks all in advance for your patience and sharing your knowledge.

Dave

jn316

Re: Intro from a $500 sub to Triple servo H frames
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2021, 05:45 pm »
Welcome aboard, Dave! Triple servo subs with your Maggies is going to be amazing!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2021, 05:52 pm »
Triple servos, man you do not mess around!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2021, 06:04 pm »
Thats gunna be one killer setup! :thumb:
And welcome to AC btw!

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2021, 08:33 pm »
Awesome I just want to be able to afford dual 12" servo subs but, the triple I'm sure is a good bit more output.

Dagoods

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2021, 11:40 pm »
Thanks Guys for the warm welcome!

I heard the triples at Danny's shop for the first time in December and can't wait to get them up and running. Killian left about an hour ago and I am glad that I had him do the assembly it saves me some time and he did an excellent job on the H frames. Now I can move on to the veneer.

I was going to do the duals but had to go for the triples. Can't have too much bass. The wife just looked at the H frames and asked the tough question "What did that cost?" She still don't know :icon_lol:

I look forward to learning more from you guys!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Dave

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2021, 04:59 pm »
I was going to do the duals but had to go for the triples. Can't have too much bass. The wife just looked at the H frames and asked the tough question "What did that cost?" She still don't know :icon_lol:

Im sure that once they're set up and hears them for the first time, she wont worry about the cost. :P

Danny's triple towers are killer, hopefully one day ill have the time, money & space for such a set up as well!  :thumb: 

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2021, 06:54 pm »
The wife just looked at the H frames and asked the tough question "What did that cost?" She still don't know :icon_lol:

Great job deflecting. The first rule of audio is: Never ever tell your wife how much it costs. If she persists, ask her casually one day, "Hey, how much did those new shoes cost?" She'll get the message.

Dagoods

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2021, 02:07 pm »
The wife has always been good about my affliction. She has her own. She's a doll collector  :duh:and I suffer through a weeks worth of convention every year so I can feed my habit. At least they are always in big cities so I scour the countryside for new vinyl.

Next we will see how she handles me rearranging the den. I'm going to need to move some things around and out to make room for the triples. I think her favorite chair has got to go!

Yesterday I finished sanding the amp boxes and picked up two 2'x 8' sheets of cherry veneer.Also got a palm router, and a few other tools

Third post approval coming up.

Then I will start a thread with some pictures as I build out the subs. This will be my first attempt at doing veneer and I know I will make mistakes along the way but it will be something I did myself.

Everyone have a great day!

Dave 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2021, 06:15 pm »
The wife has always been good about my affliction. She has her own. She's a doll collector  :duh:and I suffer through a weeks worth of convention every year so I can feed my habit. At least they are always in big cities so I scour the countryside for new vinyl.

Next we will see how she handles me rearranging the den. I'm going to need to move some things around and out to make room for the triples. I think her favorite chair has got to go!

Yesterday I finished sanding the amp boxes and picked up two 2'x 8' sheets of cherry veneer.Also got a palm router, and a few other tools

Third post approval coming up.

Then I will start a thread with some pictures as I build out the subs. This will be my first attempt at doing veneer and I know I will make mistakes along the way but it will be something I did myself.

Everyone have a great day!

Dave

You might want to rethink the favorite chair thing ..... :dunno:

AlexH

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2021, 03:11 am »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2021, 12:59 pm »
I just tell them $1.295.   :lol:

Dagoods

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2021, 09:27 pm »
She gave up the favorite chair! Said I could put them in storage But said she wants a new one :duh: Said the old chair was worn out.

and it's going to cost more than $1.295. Small price to pay for clearing out the room!

So I have a question. Getting ready to start a thread on building the Triple subs. Since it's all Danny's gear do I start it here or do I have to put it in the open baffle circle. Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm almost finished with the amp boxes!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2021, 10:54 pm »
You can post it here, on the OB circle, or both!  :thumb: