Fun With Speaker Design

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Fun With Speaker Design
« Reply #80 on: 5 Feb 2021, 01:32 am »
Yup! I use SketchUp, its simple enough to learn, tho it does lack some features I'd like, but for a free program, it works well enough for me to get my feet wet and dive into the basic modeling needed for roughing out these designs.

Nice! That's looking pretty good! I definitely appreciate the use of textures to help differentiate between different materials. :thumb:

Edgar77

« Reply #81 on: 5 Feb 2021, 04:40 am »
Yup! I use SketchUp, its simple enough to learn, tho it does lack some features I'd like, but for a free program, it works well enough for me to get my feet wet and dive into the basic modeling needed for roughing out these designs.

Nice! That's looking pretty good! I definitely appreciate the use of textures to help differentiate between different materials. :thumb:

This is the same with outside glossy black.
Sooner or later I will also add the No Rez and the drivers.

Fusion 360 is also free software. It has limitations compared to the commercial version. But those limitations should not be an issue for us, the amateurs.
I saw a very good video series about Fusion 360 which convinced me to learn it. Maybe have a look
https://youtu.be/A5bc9c3S12g

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 5 Feb 2021, 04:46 am »
Dang, Thats a gorgeous render!  :o
I'll definitely need to look into Fusion360 here soon then!

JWCoffman

« Reply #83 on: 5 Feb 2021, 04:13 pm »
I've been playing around in Sketchup for the build I'm starting this weekend.  It's a fun little program, but the renders on Fusion look pretty darn good.  The texture options really seem to set it apart.
Immediately saw that it's made by Autodesk and had some visceral reactions as I was an AutoCAD monkey way back in high school and college.  This was forever ago, like when 386 processors were the bees knees.
CAD has come a long way since then.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #84 on: 18 Apr 2021, 11:32 pm »
I've been playing around in Sketchup for the build I'm starting this weekend.  It's a fun little program, but the renders on Fusion look pretty darn good.  The texture options really seem to set it apart.
Immediately saw that it's made by Autodesk and had some visceral reactions as I was an AutoCAD monkey way back in high school and college.  This was forever ago, like when 386 processors were the bees knees.
CAD has come a long way since then.

Amazing! You definitely nailed the final product for this project!
I dunno if I've ever used a 386 PC, but my family's first PC used a 486DX which had the disabled FPU. I think it lasted for 25 years before something happened to the boot sector & made the machine unusable. Tho we definitely had several PCs in that time, it had some old games I used to play as a young kid..

I just tarted working on printing the idea I had for the GRS-10/Neo10 cabinet. Its gunna require a fair amount of time, with each middle section taking about 9 hours, and the two ends will take about a day each, and they will only just barely fit on the build plate.

I'll need to switch out the roll of filament here fairly soon, so I'm starting with one of the middle ribs sections, so I can keep an eye on it more closely. Im excited to see the final results once it's all done! (Tho I still need to model a front baffle that will fit to the front of this, and can conceal the front wires/terminals)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 2 Apr 2022, 12:58 am »
Reviving this thread to show off a wild idea I had & got to test today. :P

I was inspired after watching some videos by Joseph Crowe
https://youtube.com/c/JosephCrowesDIYSpeakerBuilding

3" deep horn-loaded GRNeo 3 with back cup.
The shape is rather impractical in this form, but the response is quite impressive.

I tested it without the cup, but it was a pretty rough response until about 7-8KHz

Going to shoot for a slightly smaller 2.5" horn to better match the voice coil of the 8" 200 NQ.
Might also make a 1.5" version to see how the response changes.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #86 on: 3 Apr 2022, 12:44 pm »
Dang, that’s impressive. How low does the NEO 3 normally extend without the waveguide?

wingsounds13

« Reply #87 on: 18 May 2022, 11:40 pm »
I'm late to the party, but there are some interesting ideas in this thread.  Some remind me of a couple ideas that I recently had.

One idea was an NX-Static.  The X-Static speaker with a Neo tweeter.  Get that Neo goodness into a less expensive speaker that has decent enough bottom end to not _require_ a sub. 

The other involves my favorite GR speaker that I have ever heard - the LGK Wedgie.  Of course, I have only heard a few GR speakers - the Wedgie, NX-MTM (or MTM-Otica or whatever you want to call it) and NX-treme.  All systems that I have heard included those wonderful H-frame subs.  Several thoughts here... One is that I hope that the Wedgie is resurrected using the LGK 2.0 drivers.  Said Wedgie still requires lots of bass help as it only goes down to about 200Hz. 

My first thought was a speaker like the NX-Otica, but using the LGK drivers for the mids.  Something like a Wedgie on top of an NX-Otica bass section.  This would allow the sub to be just a sub and placed separately from the main speakers - wherever a sub does best instead of the compromise required using the H-Frame as a monolithic bass section under a Wedgie. 

The other thought harkens back to the X-Static and is similar to the NX-Static that I mentioned above.  This idea is to use the bass section of the X-Static design with an LGK Wedgie on top.  This could be 2 piece or monolithic - either way seems reasonable to me.  The idea is to get decent but inexpensive bass support for the Wedgie. 

These ideas are driven by my love for the NX sound and the Wedgie in particular, and my extremely limited budget.  Seriously, I significantly prefer the sound of the Wedgie to the MTM-Otica.  A pair of Wedgies would be a year worth of budget, or NX-Oticas would be a multi-year budgetary project.  I would love to build a pair of double H-frames but that alone would be yet another multi-year budgetary project.  Retirement is coming soon and I would like to be able to enjoy these projects for some time.  Barring winning the lottery, that prospect doesn't look great.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, I don't want to whine...  My challenge these days is having champagne tastes on a root-beer budget.  I have indeed collected some fine equipment over the years, so electronics is less of an issue but I am feeling the desire for a speaker upgrade.  The Acoustat 1+1s have ceased working, the ML CLS need total rebuild and while my Maggie MMGs are nice, I would like a bit better for the main system.

Still... one of the crazy ideas above might make NX sound almost affordable.  :-)

J.P.

emailtim

« Reply #88 on: 21 May 2022, 03:52 pm »
Reviving this thread to show off a wild idea I had & got to test today. :P

I was inspired after watching some videos by Joseph Crowe
https://youtube.com/c/JosephCrowesDIYSpeakerBuilding

3" deep horn-loaded GRNeo 3 with back cup.
The shape is rather impractical in this form, but the response is quite impressive.

I tested it without the cup, but it was a pretty rough response until about 7-8KHz

Going to shoot for a slightly smaller 2.5" horn to better match the voice coil of the 8" 200 NQ.
Might also make a 1.5" version to see how the response changes.

Do you have a without waveguide plot for comparison ?

Thanks much.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 21 May 2022, 04:23 pm »
Dang, that’s impressive. How low does the NEO 3 normally extend without the waveguide?

Depends on the depth of the back cup and how its mounted. Flush mounting using the BG or similar faceplate, realistically its crossover point will need to be in the 2-4Khz.

With the NX waveguide, crossover can be as low as 1200-1500Hz.

With the more horn-shaped waveguide, we can probably push them as low as 700-900Hz.

Do you have a without waveguide plot for comparison ?

Thanks much.
Here's what it looks like in a flat faceplate: in an OB-7 cabinet.

Red: deep back cup
Green: open back

Here's a shallow 3/4" waveguide:

Here's the measured response of an MDF version of that same 3" horn I shared Earlier.

Red is raw driver
Yellow is with a simple network on it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #90 on: 21 May 2022, 04:40 pm »
Depends on the depth of the back cup and how its mounted. Flush mounting using the BG or similar faceplate, realistically its crossover point will need to be in the 2-4Khz.

With the NX waveguide, crossover can be as low as 1200-1500Hz.

With the more horn-shaped waveguide, we can probably push them as low as 700-900Hz.

You should do that - a horn shaped waveguide and then pair them with a 12 inch high efficiency midrange woofer and build out that old school 'party speaker' Danny has mentioned in the past.  Audiophile party speaker - sweet!

emailtim

« Reply #91 on: 21 May 2022, 04:42 pm »
Thanks.  That is a very impressive improvement. 

Wonder if it would extend the NEO8 range lower.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #92 on: 21 May 2022, 08:43 pm »
Thanks.  That is a very impressive improvement. 

Wonder if it would extend the NEO8 range lower.

It would be possible. I believe Joseph Crowe designed a horn for one, but it's quite large from what I remember.

Early B.

« Reply #93 on: 21 May 2022, 11:11 pm »
You should do that - a horn shaped waveguide and then pair them with a 12 inch high efficiency midrange woofer and build out that old school 'party speaker' Danny has mentioned in the past.  Audiophile party speaker - sweet!

This is what I'm in the process of doing, but with a horn down to 800Hz, not a waveguide. Danny & Hobbs are gonna design the crossover. Comes with a side order of servo subs and super tweeters. Stay tuned...

dayneger

« Reply #94 on: 15 Nov 2023, 06:27 pm »
Ok, so years later I keep wondering how a side-opened wave guide/rear opening would sound compared with the top-opened implementation of the Studio. 

Maybe a better way of asking it is how would the Studio change/not change if the tweeter opened to the side rather than the top?

Separately, I've seen something similar to Hobb's sketch below from a manufacturer or two, but haven't heard any of them.

[edited to remove repeated words ;-)]

Just so i don't get sidetracked on my Neo 3 thread, I'm gunna have a separate thread for brainstorming speakers ideas, loosely around Danny's design themes & current drivers.

This is all about having fun, so feel free to make suggestions, and other interesting design ideas, no matter how crazy or silly they may end up being! :P

Here's where the concept for this thread started:

An MTM derived concept of the NX Studio with a side-opened wave guide

And in the desire to create a matching sealed Servo sub it has gone thru a couple ideas. Before settling on a more wedge shape reminecent of the NX-Otica, allowing for mounting of the plate amp

When I get home tonight, I share the standalone MTM and Center channels I worked on yesterday.