CD Storage - The Horror...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
CD Storage - The Horror...
« on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:11 pm »
This is one subject where I definitely envy our Data Player friends - once they download their music from the CD, they can place them conveniently out of sight and out of mind. I currently use a large steel filing cabinet located beside my desk for my Gothic CDs and I am almost to a point where it will have no more storage capacity. For my non-Gothic CDs, I quickly "hammered" together a couple of shelves and liberated them from their cardboard boxes, this arrangement holds about 250 CDs. I store these CDs in my closet as I only listen to them once in a "Blue Moon."

I am considering building an internal wall storage system that will have my music close at hand and the option to hide my CDs from view as I do not enjoy the aesthetics of an exposed wall of CDs. I am curious how other enthusiast store their CDs and photographs would be very appreciated.

Inspire me  :D

Be well...

Phil A

Re: CD Storage - The Horror...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:24 pm »
Much of my stuff is stored in Can Am (they are in Canada) cabinets.  Have them for many years.  Have not looked at their site in years but they used to come in 14 colors.  You can get a 3 drawer unit (and each drawer holds 250+ CDs or 100+ DVDs).  They are modular and you can get them on a caddy with wheels.  I have an old 6-drawer unit in black on a caddy with wheels in the unfinished area of the basement that is barely used (I have one drawer full of manuals and accessories from the basement system and another with catalogs I could throw away) so I have plenty of overflow.  So I could clean it out and have room for 1,500+ CDs.  I have a 3 drawer unit in beige with on a caddy with wheels and another equipment unit docked on it in the bedroom system (see pic).  I probably have most of my pop/rock/folk, etc. CDs in it.  I have other storage in the main room where I have SACDs, DVD-As, classical and jazz.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2012, 02:46 pm »
I feel your pain...
My current CDVD cabinet is full with about 350 DVD's and over a 1000 CD's in it. There is no more room in the living room anymore either, so I am about to build a new cabinet from scratch, double sided. One side CD's, the other side DVD's. I will place it so that it functions as a room divider, I'll post pictures of its construction once it is underway...

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:13 pm »
Here's the Can-Am website with more photos - http://www.cdcabinet.com/

SoundGame

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:24 pm »

Cool.  These guys are only 20 minutes from my house.  Interesting and simple/purposeful solutions.  Cheers.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:27 pm »
This is what computer audio is for, you stash the data on on your hard drive as a wave file and put the CDs in the basement.
Unfortunately I don't have a basement :(.
With nearly a 1000 CDs it's not pretty.

It looks even worse in person, I am lucky my wife does not have this on her LIST.
Scotty

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:48 pm »

That's most of it! :smoke:

Marius

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:49 pm »
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20134046/ Four of them.

With extra (7) shelves (inreda) stores 5,5 meters of cd's. Cheap and very economical in space. Filled with cd's looking good... Bought 2 spares. Just in case.

Marius

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2012, 06:57 pm »
Why are you guys storing jewel boxes???  Before I went all-digital, I stored my CDs in sleeves organized in 3-ring binders.  I had close to 1000 CDs on one shelf in my living room this way  (one **shelf**, not a whole bookcase).

And I could have doubled the storage density, as it was I only used 2 CDs per side of the sleeve, and used the other pockets for the covers and liner notes.

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2012, 07:02 pm »
Laundrew:

Love the pic of Riff Raff.... Awesome!

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2012, 07:17 pm »
I've been using Boltz racks which are expandable, but agree that open-shelf storage isn't the most appealing look.  I did liked them more when I was younger, but I think they still might be useful for me now if I build sliders and use them like pocket doors and hide them in a closet.  The Boltz CD racks are rather easy to move when full of CDs, just a little plastic wrap, sturdy dolly and you are off.

Laundrew

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:02 pm »
Thanks for the link Phil, your storage system definitely looks very clean  :thumb:

I feel your pain...
My current CDVD cabinet is full with about 350 DVD's and over a 1000 CD's in it. There is no more room in the living room anymore either, so I am about to build a new cabinet from scratch, double sided. One side CD's, the other side DVD's. I will place it so that it functions as a room divider, I'll post pictures of its construction once it is underway...

I think that it is a great idea to incorporate the storage shelf into a functional part of the room such as a room divider. I enjoy the aesthetics of brick walls and I would not want to hide it behind a wall of CDs. Looking forward to your photographs once you start on your new shelf Anonamemouse  :D

Laundrew:
Love the pic of Riff Raff.... Awesome!

Simply awesome character, perhaps if I lose my hair I can look as good as Riff Raff.  :thumb:

Why are you guys storing jewel boxes???  Before I went all-digital, I stored my CDs in sleeves organized in 3-ring binders.  I had close to 1000 CDs on one shelf in my living room this way  (one **shelf**, not a whole bookcase).

And I could have doubled the storage density, as it was I only used 2 CDs per side of the sleeve, and used the other pockets for the covers and liner notes.

I never considered this route with respect to using CD sleeves and binder option - a great idea. In my circumstance, I think that I would miss thumbing across my CD cases while searching for my next music selection. I also enjoy reading the material or looking at the art work contained in the jewel case.

Thanks to all who have responded thus far  :thumb:

Be well...

sebrof

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:02 pm »

Now I know you guys are crazy! Do what Chrom said. I have I dunno, >1000 CDs in binders (I think 320 capacity) that take up almost no space whatsoever. Jewels are in the closet...duh.

Example - http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Case-Logic-208-Capacity-Nylon-CD-DVD-Binder-CD-DVD-binder/1341377.aspx

PRELUDE

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2012, 10:56 pm »
Laundrew,
Take a look at this site. http://www.boltz.com/
The CD 600 will hold up to 600 CDs and you can add as many you want.
It is a very nice rack so far I have 5 of them and I have to buy another one soon.

Warren_Buff

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2012, 11:14 pm »
Sold (and gave away) my CDs, CD-player and CD-shelfes in 2011.
CDs are so 1996.

SHV

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2012, 11:48 pm »
Laundrew,
Take a look at this site. http://www.boltz.com/
The CD 600 will hold up to 600 CDs and you can add as many you want.
It is a very nice rack so far I have 5 of them and I have to buy another one soon.

I live about 40 miles from the Bolz factory, so over the years I have picked up returns, "b"stock, odds and ends.  Their products are industrial strength build quality.  I just looked at their web site and they have added many new lines since I last purchased items from them.  I have several of their CD racks in various sizes but most of my Bolts is made up of various combinations of "LP" shelving and component shelving.  Over the past ten years the shelves have seen many configurations and uses;  which is a major advantage of the Boltz shelving...(About 1/2 of my Boltz inventory is still to be assembled)

I'm in the middle of remodeling and move in so the place is a mess but here are some Boltz pics from my IPhone.

spinner

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2012, 11:51 pm »

How about poor old UBC's collection...........LOL.. :duh:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:02 am »
Sold (and gave away) my CDs, CD-player and CD-shelfes in 2011.
CDs are so 1996.

Outstanding. Perhaps you could start another thread where you can share your experience with those who may be interested rather than interrupt this one to congratulate yourself for joining the avant-garde and insult a bunch of people.

PRELUDE: That link you shared is really interesting - Thanks!  :thumb:

Great thread as always, Laundrew!

D.D.

Laundrew

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:31 am »

PRELUDE: That link you shared is really interesting - Thanks!  :thumb:

D.D.

Agreed :thumb: Thank you PRELUDE  :D

Be well...

JfTM

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:42 am »
Hmmmm,  looking at those rack prices a BDP isn't far off ;)