Digital Jesus

Ragnar71

Digital Jesus
« on: 14 Jul 2019, 01:09 am »
I’m an obsessive type personality. When I get the rare opportunity like I am about to have to make what is a sizable investment (for me) I google, YouTube, and read the holy hell out of everything I can. For months on end. I talk to people I respect and whose opinions I value, I’ve been lucky enough to speak with a few speaker builders , well known, who have been extremely helpful. For about 3 months I’ve spent every bit of my free time trying to decide which way I’m going to go. Speakers were the easiest decision I made, electronics a nightmare. Always wanted a class AB or Tube amp, But then I caught wind of the progress that has been made in Class D.  I live in the outskirts of nowhere so I don’t have the ability to really go hear anything, but almost guys today have in home trials so it’s cool. Anyway thre is so much conflicting opinions on Class D, I’ve kind of formed my own now and am looking in that direction. One opinion that seemed to be held my most if not all of everything I’ve read or people I’ve spoke to is Cherry Amps are on an entirely different level. The creator Tommy is pretty much revered by most everyone as knowing and doing something that no one else does. It’s almost ridiculous how many different times the name Cherry Amp came up. Now all things considered I really want to go that route. I just have one issue.

Tommy said his amps were made for his Dac’s,I get that... but is there some technological reasoning why Cherry Amps wouldn’t work or sound as well hooked up to a Pass Pre, or a Van Alstine, or even a PrimaLuna? I am totally behind the minimalist ideals and the sound is all that matters ideals, but I want to run my TV through my 2.1 system, and I also must say, having just two little red boxes the size of cigarettes packs sitting on.a shelf in between two amazing speakers and below a 70” flat screen would not pass my WAF. I’m in no way criticizing, I just am someone who wants to use my system for more than just music, and who has a spouse , and honestly I kind of feel this way too, who would like something of great quality and performance that also looks amazing out where everyone who happens to come over can see. Hate me call me an idiot, but God, I think someone could make a fortune if they created a Preamp with all the pretty baubles and features that some want, with a top that would come off and have connect inside to put Cherry Amp and Cherry Dac. You could close it up and have a amazing pre with the absolute best Dac and Amp inside. Lol

Anyway what I really want to know is would Cherry In Line amps sound just as amazing connected to a Pre made by other companies? I’m not very knowlwedagble but I’d think you could even connect a DacDac to another Pre with the Amp and have the best of both worlds. I’m just asking because I read somewhere that Cherry amps were made for Cherry DACs and that they didn’t recommend other Preamps. Any opinions, or anyone running Cherry Amps with other equipment have my thoughts on how it sounds? I really love these Amps, just want to make it work the best way possible for my situation.

RonN5

Re: Digital Jesus
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2019, 02:10 am »
Tommy’s amps will mate well and sound great with many preamps.  If you jump over to the 2Cherry thread... which I started... I’m using an Oppo 205 into a Belles 22a tube hybrid preamp into the 2Cherry... the sound is amazing and I can switch between multiple inputs and drive a subwoofer.  I’m sure if you email Tommy with the preamps you are considering, he will help you... and later this year or early next year Tommy will offer a preamp for sale.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2019, 03:27 am »
DAC amps are very neutral and transparent. They will work well with any good pre, but as always there will be a signature sound passed through from the front end which may or may not be what you're looking for. Once you get to this level, satisfaction is more like cooking than engineering.
I use modded Nuprime DAC10h dac/pre/hp with both my 'schinos, and am very pleased with the sound and the features provided.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2019, 04:08 pm by jonbee »

sumoking

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2019, 05:34 am »
I’m an obsessive type personality. When I get the rare opportunity like I am about to have to make what is a sizable investment (for me) I google, YouTube, and read the holy hell out of everything I can. For months on end. I talk to people I respect and whose opinions I value, I’ve been lucky enough to speak with a few speaker builders , well known, who have been extremely helpful. For about 3 months I’ve spent every bit of my free time trying to decide which way I’m going to go. Speakers were the easiest decision I made, electronics a nightmare. Always wanted a class AB or Tube amp, But then I caught wind of the progress that has been made in Class D.  I live in the outskirts of nowhere so I don’t have the ability to really go hear anything, but almost guys today have in home trials so it’s cool. Anyway thre is so much conflicting opinions on Class D, I’ve kind of formed my own now and am looking in that direction. One opinion that seemed to be held my most if not all of everything I’ve read or people I’ve spoke to is Cherry Amps are on an entirely different level. The creator Tommy is pretty much revered by most everyone as knowing and doing something that no one else does. It’s almost ridiculous how many different times the name Cherry Amp came up. Now all things considered I really want to go that route. I just have one issue.

Tommy said his amps were made for his Dac’s,I get that... but is there some technological reasoning why Cherry Amps wouldn’t work or sound as well hooked up to a Pass Pre, or a Van Alstine, or even a PrimaLuna? I am totally behind the minimalist ideals and the sound is all that matters ideals, but I want to run my TV through my 2.1 system, and I also must say, having just two little red boxes the size of cigarettes packs sitting on.a shelf in between two amazing speakers and below a 70” flat screen would not pass my WAF. I’m in no way criticizing, I just am someone who wants to use my system for more than just music, and who has a spouse , and honestly I kind of feel this way too, who would like something of great quality and performance that also looks amazing out where everyone who happens to come over can see. Hate me call me an idiot, but God, I think someone could make a fortune if they created a Preamp with all the pretty baubles and features that some want, with a top that would come off and have connect inside to put Cherry Amp and Cherry Dac. You could close it up and have a amazing pre with the absolute best Dac and Amp inside. Lol

Anyway what I really want to know is would Cherry In Line amps sound just as amazing connected to a Pre made by other companies? I’m not very knowlwedagble but I’d think you could even connect a DacDac to another Pre with the Amp and have the best of both worlds. I’m just asking because I read somewhere that Cherry amps were made for Cherry DACs and that they didn’t recommend other Preamps. Any opinions, or anyone running Cherry Amps with other equipment have my thoughts on how it sounds? I really love these Amps, just want to make it work the best way possible for my situation.

I’ve had my Cherry Desktop Maraschinos for a while and tried tube preamps.
In my opinion, the best mate with the Cherries is a well made passive pre amp.
You can find a $59 (no lie) nobsound xlr passive preamp that is transparent and sounds great.
I upgraded to a dual mono passive for $299 that are on eBay from China.
Any good passive should work fine.

The synergistic affect that a passive gives you is ultra transparency and timbre.
In my opinion the goal is to provide the Cherries the best signal possible as the Cherries will just pass it through to the speakers. The DAC DAC is awesome! Great match for the amp and a passive.

At this point I’m saving the money from not buying an expensive preamp and investing in a better pair of speakers.

Note, the one for $299 has four inputs. I put my TV box through it as well.

Hope this helps you.

What speakers are you going with ?
Cheers.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2019, 04:51 pm by sumoking »

Ragnar71

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2019, 06:36 am »
I was looking at a NAD pre/Dac/Strwamer, or the Parasound Pre, or even the Schiit Freya+.

It’s every how many people have told me , “ there are some good Class D amps now, but there is this one guy, who just really has it figured out” talking about Tommy. Having the in line hanging and just long interconnects will be amazing,

I laugh when I was a kid, my buddies dad brought out his amp from college. It was a beast, had to be 75 pounds. He labored to carry into the living room... now if my kids ask me in 20 years, I’ll go grab a shoebox with one hand and lay it on there laps. Lol

Ragnar71

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:15 am »
So I think I have it figured out. I can get the in line Maraschinos and a DacDac and use a Schiit Freya+ pre amp. The Freya has a passive setting, and I also should be able to connect my tv, and powered Sub. I believe that will work. Anyone?

sumoking

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:46 am »
So I think I have it figured out. I can get the in line Maraschinos and a DacDac and use a Schiit Freya+ pre amp. The Freya has a passive setting, and I also should be able to connect my tv, and powered Sub. I believe that will work. Anyone?
Sounds like a good approach to me.
Let us know how you like it!
Cheers!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2019, 05:40 pm »

It's not that Cherry amps are meant for Cherry DACs.  It's the other way around, actually, although either can be used with other manufacturer's gear -- with great results.  Our customers use a wide variety of preamps, DACs, and "streamers" to drive Cherry Amps.  This includes solid state, tube, balanced, single-ended, and passive (in several forms).  Thank you for the compliments (: