Expecting Timepiece Minis?

TomS

Re: Expecting Timepiece Minis?
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jun 2008, 03:27 am »
Yes.....thanks Tom !  :beer:
Yet more cool gear at your place.  I'm sure those will be sweet.  You da' man, so buy all means lean at will :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 11 Jun 2008, 03:31 am »
Yes.....thanks Tom !  :beer:
Yet more cool gear at your place.  I'm sure those will be sweet.  You da' man, so buy all means lean at will :)
I have to move stuff out to lean.... :lol:

The Timepieces will be "on tour" for awhile.... :wink:

Frank S.

« Reply #62 on: 11 Jun 2008, 06:25 pm »
I just thought I’d throw my 2 cents in………………I still strongly stand behind my comments made in December 2007 (and to this day) regarding the sound quality of the SP Tech Continuum2.5s. Are they perfect?  Of course not, but for me they sound just “right”.   Fortunately and unfortunately they will immediately let you know when things aren’t “right” and give instant feedback on system changes.  They easily let me discern the differences in tubes when I was tube rolling with my MW Transporter. 

After living with the MM3s for a year and the SP Techs for about 6 months, and listening to a wide variety of music on both, I feel I am in a position to make such a comment.

Did I think my system sounded great the last time George came over?  Nope, and I appreciated his comments.  I’m not trying to make excuses but there were a bunch of things going on that day which could have led to a “major step backwards”.  I had moved the speakers around (fairly substantially) after receiving my new DAC (was two weeks old, but had been playing 24/7 when George heard it) , I was using a pair of $60 microphone cables as interconnects, I had removed my amps from my PS Audio Premier, etc.  Lots of different variables.  I made some quick changes that day and things improved, not to a point where I thought it couldn’t be better.

My initial reaction after seeing George’s comments, in the context in which it was posted, was kind of a knock on SP Tech.  DU had brought up my past comments and there was no “present” discussion on my speakers or “system” so I’m not quite sure why George even decided to post that my system took a “major step backwards” in a thread entitled “Expecting Timepiece Minis”, except to kind of rebut DU’s post about higher model SP Tech speakers.  Heck, I wasn't even participating in the thread. Kind of didn’t flow with the topic at hand, except to challenge DU comments about my December posting which was in regard to my previous speakers, not my system components, etc. I think his comments would have been more appropriate in the thread I started- “Christmas Came Early”.

I’ve been friends with George a long time and always value his opinion as he has a great set of ears and the ability to communicate what he hears in a constructive and informative way.  I always tried to do the same when I visited his place and heard his gear. This back and forth over the years has been extremely informative and educational for me, hopefully for the better. If he feels my system does not sound as good as previous incarnations, I totally respect that, but we’ll have to agree to disagree.

I also think George has the right to post what he wants and where he wants so long as his posts are not purposely inflammatory or derogatory.  Given his tenure at AC and his over 6600 posts, I think George’s contributions are first rate and his behavior exemplary. 

Back to the topic at hand- Chris enjoy your new Timepieces!  I think you are in a for a real treat and will find the painful wait worth it. Happy listening!  :thumb: :rock: :drums: :guitar: :beer: :beer:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #63 on: 11 Jun 2008, 08:24 pm »
Guys,

I'm glad to see everything sort of "worked itself out" here.  I'd really like to thank Frank S. for clarifying some things. :thumb:  Especially now that he's had some time on his Continuums.  Just looking at those MM3s is enough to scare any designer and are bound to be pretty tough to equal...let alone beat.  :o  :green:  I know that's just one guy's opinion but still...

Anyway, back to topic.  Konut, we have your "Ipe" matching issue "fixed" so it won't be long now.  We ended up using a little different color scheme than the natural Ipe, but I think you'll like them - if you don't mind more of a red hue.  If not, I'm sure somebody else will.  aa 

In fact, once I get photos taken I'm going to post them here for all to see as an example of how a "problem" can turn into an "opportunity for improvement."  They turned out far nicer than I would have ever imagined.  I suspect we're going to be getting requests for the same finish once folks see them.  Actually, I'm going to be dragging my unfinished kitchen cabinets down to the shop (that have been waiting for installation in my home for 2 years now) and finishing them in the exact same color. 

Do you like the rich look of Brazilian Rosewood?  I do.  How about the rest of you guys?  Via the miracles of modern chemistry we can turn Oak into Mahogany or Walnut (Ipe works better though) into Brazilian Rosewood - and at a fraction of the cost for the real thing.  Unless you're a wood expert (and even if you are) you could probably never tell the difference.  You'll see. :wink:

-Bob

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #64 on: 11 Jun 2008, 09:49 pm »
I'm sure I'll like the look. Its a little ironic though, as Bob could verify, that from the very beginning I've said I really don't care what they look like. The reason I chose Ipe was that it is one of the densest, hardest, and therefor heaviest woods, commonly available. As long as Bob was offering custom options, I thought it might be an oppourtunity to actually choose a wood that might contribute to an improvement in SQ. In theory, the added mass might help deaden resonances further than your, already outstanding, constrained layer constuction does. I've even told Bob to keep them a few extra days, to break in a bit, and compare the SQ to a standard set of Minis. I really need to thank Jason for his striving to make them as visually appealing as they are aurally.

I know that some consider it extremely foolish to spend this kind of money on a pair of unauditioned speakers. So far I've had extremely good luck in researching, and talking with, various speaker manufacturers whos design criteria and reputations met my scrutiny and  matched the experiences I've had that lead to a satisfying musical presentation. To my knowledge, I've not heard of anyone returning a pair of SP Tech speakers due to an issue of SQ. I figured the downside risk was pretty small.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #65 on: 11 Jun 2008, 09:57 pm »
Another reason to be optimistic is you rarely see any used SP Tech products for sale.  That's a pretty solid indicator of good things to come and not mere hype. :D

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #66 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:31 pm »

Well, Wind Chaser will be able to stop chasing the wind when he hears the SP Mini's doing their thing over here.

Looking forward to mixing Scripture Songs VI on them.  :wink:

As well as the entire series, for that matter.

Rocket_Ronny

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2008, 10:02 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

bhobba

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:36 pm »
I know that some consider it extremely foolish to spend this kind of money on a pair of unauditioned speakers. So far I've had extremely good luck in researching, and talking with, various speaker manufacturers whos design criteria and reputations met my scrutiny and  matched the experiences I've had that lead to a satisfying musical presentation. To my knowledge, I've not heard of anyone returning a pair of SP Tech speakers due to an issue of SQ. I figured the downside risk was pretty small.   

I have had great luck at that as well.  The first speakers I had, the legendary Gale 402's, were bought sound unheard.  They were fantastic.  My theory is if a product has nothing but rave reviews (and I have never heard one negative thing said about Bob's speakers - the worst I have ever heard is that they were just a tad off another brand that will go unnamed - and that was by a dealer in that brand who upfront said they were his reference and preference) then the chances of it being a dud are rather remote - virtually zero I would say.

Thanks
Bill

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #68 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:56 pm »
I just thought I’d throw my 2 cents in………………I still strongly stand behind my comments made in December 2007 (and to this day) regarding the sound quality of the SP Tech Continuum2.5s. Are they perfect?  Of course not, but for me they sound just “right”.   Fortunately and unfortunately they will immediately let you know when things aren’t “right” and give instant feedback on system changes.  They easily let me discern the differences in tubes when I was tube rolling with my MW Transporter. 

After living with the MM3s for a year and the SP Techs for about 6 months, and listening to a wide variety of music on both, I feel I am in a position to make such a comment.

Did I think my system sounded great the last time George came over?  Nope, and I appreciated his comments.  I’m not trying to make excuses but there were a bunch of things going on that day which could have led to a “major step backwards”.  I had moved the speakers around (fairly substantially) after receiving my new DAC (was two weeks old, but had been playing 24/7 when George heard it) , I was using a pair of $60 microphone cables as interconnects, I had removed my amps from my PS Audio Premier, etc.  Lots of different variables.  I made some quick changes that day and things improved, not to a point where I thought it couldn’t be better.

My initial reaction after seeing George’s comments, in the context in which it was posted, was kind of a knock on SP Tech.  DU had brought up my past comments and there was no “present” discussion on my speakers or “system” so I’m not quite sure why George even decided to post that my system took a “major step backwards” in a thread entitled “Expecting Timepiece Minis”, except to kind of rebut DU’s post about higher model SP Tech speakers.  Heck, I wasn't even participating in the thread. Kind of didn’t flow with the topic at hand, except to challenge DU comments about my December posting which was in regard to my previous speakers, not my system components, etc. I think his comments would have been more appropriate in the thread I started- “Christmas Came Early”.

I’ve been friends with George a long time and always value his opinion as he has a great set of ears and the ability to communicate what he hears in a constructive and informative way.  I always tried to do the same when I visited his place and heard his gear. This back and forth over the years has been extremely informative and educational for me, hopefully for the better. If he feels my system does not sound as good as previous incarnations, I totally respect that, but we’ll have to agree to disagree.

I also think George has the right to post what he wants and where he wants so long as his posts are not purposely inflammatory or derogatory.  Given his tenure at AC and his over 6600 posts, I think George’s contributions are first rate and his behavior exemplary. 

Back to the topic at hand- Chris enjoy your new Timepieces!  I think you are in a for a real treat and will find the painful wait worth it. Happy listening!  :thumb: :rock: :drums: :guitar: :beer: :beer:

Frank,

Thank you for your post.

Of course your opinion carries much more weight than mine since it is formed on your excellent ear and living with your system day in day out.  My comment was just based on an afternoon of listening.

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #69 on: 12 Jun 2008, 04:13 am »
Frank....

Back to the topic at hand- Chris enjoy your new Timepieces!  I think you are in a for a real treat and will find the painful wait worth it. Happy listening!

Thank you Frank....good to hear from you... :thumb:  :beer:

Chris

phoenix_rising

« Reply #70 on: 12 Jun 2008, 06:43 am »
Another reason to be optimistic is you rarely see any used SP Tech products for sale.  That's a pretty solid indicator of good things to come and not mere hype. :D

Got to agree with that. You can find a load of every other speaker brand for sale but as you say SP Tech's are as rare as hens teeth. That speaks volumes in itself that customers are simply happy and won't part with them.

Springbok10

« Reply #71 on: 12 Jun 2008, 06:22 pm »
>>Sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but I recently heard Frank's system and I don't think it was better than the previous incarnations.  In fact, I thought it took major steps backward.

Too much gear has changed from system to system at Frank's so I can't confidently say it is one piece of gear or the other.  I just know that to my ears it isn't better.

George<<

So George thinks that Frank's system sounds worse than it did before, but he is not sure why. So the reason, then, that this is being posted on the SP Tech forum, when we don't know the role of the SP Tech component? To let us all know that Frank has gone backwards/downhill/to the dogs/has a sucky sytem? To prove that he will always tell the truth, however jarring, hurtful and also when unasked? As a new member to AC, I find this an interesting but novel phenomenon: to post something totally negative with no point. Discussion/Dissension is healthy when it is illuminative, educational, or even provocative with a point to be made or learned. Maybe there was pre-existing communication that I missed, but I didn't come away from the post having learned anything, other than that, in George's opinion, Frank has regressed audibly(:)). Please elucidate, George.

JP78

« Reply #72 on: 12 Jun 2008, 10:58 pm »
>>Sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but I recently heard Frank's system and I don't think it was better than the previous incarnations.  In fact, I thought it took major steps backward.

Too much gear has changed from system to system at Frank's so I can't confidently say it is one piece of gear or the other.  I just know that to my ears it isn't better.

George<<

So George thinks that Frank's system sounds worse than it did before, but he is not sure why. So the reason, then, that this is being posted on the SP Tech forum, when we don't know the role of the SP Tech component? To let us all know that Frank has gone backwards/downhill/to the dogs/has a sucky sytem? To prove that he will always tell the truth, however jarring, hurtful and also when unasked? As a new member to AC, I find this an interesting but novel phenomenon: to post something totally negative with no point. Discussion/Dissension is healthy when it is illuminative, educational, or even provocative with a point to be made or learned. Maybe there was pre-existing communication that I missed, but I didn't come away from the post having learned anything, other than that, in George's opinion, Frank has regressed audibly(:)). Please elucidate, George.

i think this discussion is great and should be continued, but think it's best to move all this to a new thread?  otherwise it will be buried and lost in the original topic of the thread...

bbchem

« Reply #73 on: 13 Jun 2008, 05:28 pm »
:icon_twisted:  STOP THE PRESSESS!  I WILL SELL MY MINIS!!!!!!!!!  >> EITHER WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER  :evil: OR WHEN I CAN SCRAPE UP enough money to buy a pair of SP Tech Continuum's etc.

Seriously, I have about 300 hours on them and every time I listen to them I still jut settle back and sigh, aaaahhh, that's nice!

As noted, I have 3 other systems that I listen to at different times, and they sound great to me, but when I turn on my Minis the level of excitement is palably real versus the others. Its interesting that you can get used to good sounding equipment and feel comfortable and happy as your ears become acclimated  and adapt to the sound. But certain stimulus gives you more or less out of body reaction, and that is the difference between the Minis and most others. If these sound this good, I would have to believe that there upper line sound even better (??) if possible. Anyway I agree that the best way to determine a products real worth is how many and how often they come up for sale. Although SP TECH sells less than the Majors, they almost never come up unless in some cases someone is upgrading. Most of the time it seems people don't sell them, they simply add to what they already have.

:thumb:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #74 on: 2 Jul 2008, 03:09 pm »
I just want to dispel any rumors that Bob has taken all our money and is relaxing somewhere in the Caribbean.

I spoke to him yesterday and he said my mini's are ready and will be shipped shortly. Since I had already paid for one speaker, I went ahead and paid him for the other speaker. That seemed make him happy.

Now that I think about it, I don't really know that he was in Indiana or Timbuktu or wherever the hell his factory is. He could have been on the beach using a cellphone and laughing at me.  :green:

Thanks Bob,

Gene

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #75 on: 2 Jul 2008, 03:21 pm »
Somehow i can easily picture Bob on the beach; Hawaiian shirt hanging out, cargos, big wide brimmed hat....slightly intoxicated 24/7, but not enough not to come up with three more designs........ :D

He needs a beach vacation, Lord knows.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #76 on: 2 Jul 2008, 03:27 pm »
Now that you mention it, he did go off incoherently a couple of times.

Something about wall-mounted Revelations or something.  :thumb:

Gene

Somehow i can easily picture Bob on the beach; Hawaiian shirt hanging out, cargos, big wide brimmed hat....slightly intoxicated 24/7, but not enough not to come up with three more designs........ :D

He needs a beach vacation, Lord knows.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #77 on: 2 Jul 2008, 03:55 pm »
I talked to Bob monday. It amazes me how much passion he still has after going through all the trials and tribulations that have tested his character and tenacity. It will hearten those who feel that I'm off my nut, and a masochist as well, to learn that I've told Bob to keep my speakers an extra week to discern weather they sound significantly different from the standard wood iterations of the Mini. While I was on the phone, Bob weighed one of my Minis and it weighs 3 lbs more than a standard Mini. I'm hoping the extra mass will have a positive effect.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #78 on: 2 Jul 2008, 04:43 pm »
I just want to dispel any rumors that Bob has taken all our money and is relaxing somewhere in the Caribbean.

Caribbean ??  :shake:
No Gene....he's in the French Riviera .....Côte d'Azur....nice place to be this time of the year.... :jester:

Yes....I'm joking....I'm sure he's hard at work. :wink:

Nice to hear your speakers are almost done. :beer:

Mine now have about 45 hours on them....so a few tips for future owners...

1 - Pay no attention to the sound for about 20 hours...they really do need some time on them....and the sound changes....and the bass gets better. :rock:

2 - You need a good amp....like most SP Tech's....they like power...that's just the way it is....and the cleaner the better.

3 - Good solid stands...their "solid" speakers... 26-28 inches high...experiment.

So far.....I can say....their very good speakers. Thank you Bob....good job !!! :thumb:

(My TP 2's are out now....a little audition tour....later the Mini's will go out....this way others will get to listen and comment.)

juanitox

« Reply #79 on: 3 Jul 2008, 08:24 am »
Caribbean ??  Shake head
No Gene....he's in the French Riviera .....Côte d'Azur....nice place to be this time of the year.... Jester

:nono:  i live here  bad idea , to hot , too much traffic, too much people..

better come june , september, , october.. :thumb: