SP Tech Call For Reviews

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
SP Tech Call For Reviews
« on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:48 pm »
Guys,

This is for all of the owners of our products.  As you all well know... the economy sucks pretty bad right now.  Well, that fact has started to really rear its ugly head with us lately.  We have numerous orders to fill yet but new orders have essentially come to a dead stop in the last couple of weeks.  We'll be OK for a while yet but if this continues... :o :cry:

Therefore, I'm asking for your help.  Seeing that we have essentially no means for advertising and virtually all of our sales have come by "word of mouth" and your postings here on AC, we could use a little fresh help in spreading the word.  You know things are getting tight when I ask for this as I've never publicly done so before.  You also know that although we have been slow as snails, we have always done whatever we could to accommodate each and every one of you.  Not that you owe us for that though...we will always do our best to help, regardless of any response to this request or lack thereof.

Anyway, there are a couple of you guys that have gotten your speakers and haven't really posted much about them.  As I say, we don't "expect" you to, but if you're gonna...sooner rather than later would be really appreciated.

Also, there are others that have posted here and you gotta know we sure appreciate it. :thumb: Well, another way to help us out right now would be to go to other forums and either do a "cut and paste" (I sure don't expect you to write new reviews) or paste links to your reviews here on AC - if the other forum(s) permit such.  It would be really great if as many other forums as possible were made aware of us and actually, that would help AC out as well - especially if you post links to your reviews back here.  Oh... and it doesn't matter how old your review is... every little bit will help.

As it is, with your help SP Tech has already built sort of a "grassroots" following and as everybody visiting can tell, our owners are a very enthusiastic and loyal group.  If we could spread that following out more to the world at large, it would really be a big help.  Last winter we were so swamped with work that I really didn't want any more orders, but we've been doing fairly well lately on catching up and I suspect that it won't be long before most everybody will have their speakers that have already placed orders.

In fact, new orders means better cash flow which means larger materials purchases.  This is good for everybody as when that happens, we get more efficient and everybody gets the speakers sooner than would be the case with less cash to work with.

So my friends... Bob's calling on you to help him out.  If we can make it through these next few months until the fall "audio buying season" - we'll be fine.  I expect 2008 will be our best year yet! :green:

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you. :thumb:
-Bob

Karsten

Re: SP Tech Call For Reviews
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2008, 08:23 am »
Bob,

Now don't you stir up the waters too much  :nono: I need your production capacity to supply speakers to our Danish customers. Things are moving fast here...

Karsten

Springbok10

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2008, 11:49 am »
>>Owners of speakers by obscure companies chime in

04-29-08: Springbok10
SP Tech must be listed, judging from the response of every new (unfortunately, too few) owner, both here and on AudioCircle. Maybe Bob Smith can respond; like many dicsreet, modest new designers, he keeps a low profile, but having heard his design views, it would be a pity if he continually stays under the radar.
Springbok10  (Reviews | Threads | Answers)<<

I would encourage owners and even Bob to chime in here, on Audiogon, to add to the post I just added to this thread.

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2008, 12:49 pm »
I would encourage owners and even Bob to chime in here, on Audiogon, to add to the post I just added to this thread.

Done.

As I said in the Audiogon thread, if Bob had the wherewithal for an even marginally effective marketing campaign, I believe the speaker landscape would be very different.

In the meantime, I'll continue doing my part to keep SP Tech thriving in these tough economic times.  Two pair and counting, one of which is in the process of being upgraded to Timepiece 3.0 status.  That'll be very nice, just enough to tide me over until the Revelation Grand Masters make an appearance.  :green:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2008, 01:17 pm »
Done.  As DU said, do your part...if you buy these, tell people about them!  I've had several over to hear, and at least two have told Bob they're buying. 

I'm about to add to my collection on Friday! :drool:  Arriving are my three Continuum AD's, each with their own Mundorf external crossover (the center having an identical Ultimate level one that my Revs have).  I'll own a complete Mundorf Continuum/Revelation 5.1 system...trying to decide what I should pick as the first multichannel hirez disc to show them off with.   Beatles - Love?  Floyd -Dark Side?  Beck - Sea Change?  Some Fagen maybe?  :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2008, 01:38 pm »
I'm about to add to my collection on Friday! :drool: 

I heard about that.  I don't know who's more excited, you or Bob.  :wink:

But that's for another day in a different thread.  Let's go SP Tech owners... show the love!  Add your comments here, or better yet, to this Audiogon thread

Any lurking Audio Asylum inmates interested in beginning a thread?  I've never been an AA kinda guy, but surely we have an inmate or two in the SP Tech family. 

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2008, 02:40 pm »
I will write a 42 page dissertation once I receive my C2.5s! lol
Mike

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2008, 04:23 pm »
Ted....

..trying to decide what I should pick as the first multichannel hirez disc to show them off with.

I'd go with "Dark Side Of The Moon"..... :rock:

Enjoy..... :beer:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2008, 04:35 pm »
Ted....

..trying to decide what I should pick as the first multichannel hirez disc to show them off with.

I'd go with "Dark Side Of The Moon"..... :rock:

Enjoy..... :beer:

OF COURSE YOU WOULD!!   8)  I suspect Bob will vote that way too!  :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2008, 04:38 pm »
No....I could of said the Beatles....or MC5...."Kick Out The Jams".... :rock:  :lol:

carusoracer

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2008, 04:46 pm »
I enjoy the candor and genuine statement of facts. It seems that many hear on the forum enjoy your products. I for one have not heard them but have heard nothing but good things.

Good Luck!

Sometime I will get a chance to take a good long listen.

bbchem

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2008, 05:02 pm »
 :lol:  I was worried about causing to much of stir and getting Bob into trouble, I guess I can resume my posts. I hope that my past posts on this and Audiogon have not gone for naught and I think it has helped the cause. I have to formulate another strategy for conveying my thoughts and I will post again and again.

Remember, the Minis are now my reference speakers and they are at the bottom of the SP Tech totem pole.

Regards, Bill

AUDIGON 04-29-08: Bbchem
I agree with several of the above, SP TECH and Bob have made loudspeakers that portray the event exactly as it should be in regards to what a chain of electronics and Transducers can do. I can't think of another loudspeaker that can best the SP TECH Minis, which are the bottom of the line. As many of you know, I have owned upwards of 30 pairs and many from the big boys. Sp Tech should be as big as any of the others, Bob is one of the best, most communicative and knowledgeable of anyone that you could buy Audio stuff from. Still Obscure but moving up in the charts!
Bbchem  (Threads | Answers)<<QUOTE OF TODAY>>
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2008, 05:14 pm by bbchem »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2008, 05:09 pm »
Posting is all well and good.....its the listening that sells the speakers... :wink:

Which brings to mind....Bob, I don't see you listed at RMAF '08 yet ?  :scratch:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2008, 06:23 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for your kind words and help!  :thumb:  As I said, we're OK for now, but I've learned the hard way that orders or lack thereof in any given month means where you're going to be  a couple of months down the road. 

Actually, we're getting the throughput up a little better lately because we're now only working on orders that are based on the new hardwood design.  We basically "gave away" a lot of stuff last spring that we then had to finish building towards the end of last year and the first of this year.  Since we really didn't make any money from that stuff beyond our own payroll to do the labor, that left almost nothing to buy materials with.  Between that and the low initial price for the Minis, we've really had to struggle to make much headway.  Although, if we can make it until fall, I believe that "investment" to get product out there will have big payoffs.  We now have quite a few more owners out there.  I guess that's why I'm asking for your help now...trying to get "tank filled" now so we don't run out of gas before the finish line.

I know we have a number of orders to finish yet and I apologize for the delay, but things are finally speeding up.  As most anybody knows... it takes forever to get anything much accomplished when you're only buying just enough materials to build the next set of speakers at any given time.  The only way to make any real and efficient progress is to buy in quantity and then do batches.  You know... like a REAL company with a REAL assembly line.  We *thought* we had jumped that hurdle last fall with the first batch of Minis, but then that first batch (as usual  :roll:) had dimensional "bugs" that had to be worked out for every enclosure.  We should have waited to outsource the making of the Mini parts until we had the programs running smooth on our own CNC.  Live and learn.

But... now we do have everything programmed on our CNC and not only the Minis but also pretty much the rest of the products.  Still a few things to do here and there, but we've made good progress - and most of that in the last 2 months.  At the same time we were able to purchase enough wood as well such that we can finally run at least 3 or 4 pair of parts at a time.  In fact, more $$$ means more materials and the possibility of hiring  a guy or two to do the less critical tasks.

Now... all we need are the orders.  It looks like everything will be built back in-house for the near to mid future, but at least we have a stable (meaning... it AIN"T CHANGING!!!... Mr. K.E. or anybody else) design and the semblance of a real system in place.  So... we're geared up and ready to go, just need them orders.  Hey... perfect timing!  Just in time for when the economy takes a crap. :roll:

So...thanks again for your help guys. :wink: Now if those folks on AA, Audioholics, AVS, the pro forums and the rest start finding out about SP Tech, we'll probably be fine until fall hits.  After that... I think the biggest hurdles will be over.  I sure hope so cause I'm about toast.  :?

Chris,

Which brings to mind....Bob, I don't see you listed at RMAF '08 yet ?

Yep... that's right... and you most likely won't either.  I don't suppose I have to tell you why, do I?  :violin:

-Bob

spence

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2008, 11:49 pm »
Bob,
  I promise to write a nice review of my 3.0's if you will send them to me!

Spence

bhobba

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2008, 01:14 am »
Now don't you stir up the waters too much  :nono: I need your production capacity to supply speakers to our Danish customers. Things are moving fast here...

With how good Bobs speakers are I suspect it is only a matter of time until orders pick up.

Thanks
Bill

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2008, 02:39 am »
For those of you who haven't read this Revelation review before, here is a link, and some background.  The reviewer is Terry London (aka Teajay on Audiogon).  Teajay is a dear audio buddy from Chicago whom I turned on to Bob and SP Tech back in the wintertime.  Teajay is an Audiogon legend and has quite a system in his own right (Maggie MG20rs, Pass XA-100 amps, Accustic Arts ultra hi-end transport and DAC, ASL Flora preamp, Stealth cables, etc.).  Since he lives somewhat near Bob he thought he'd take a ride over and listen for himself; I'd been filling his ear with SP Tech for some time.  Well, the review attached describes what he heard....in Bob's 20 degree warehouse!!!!  Feel free to add comments to the Audiogon thread, if needed.
Audiogon Link

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2008, 03:56 am »
Bob....

Since you won't be at the show  :(....why not put up a "sticky".... :wink:

"SP Tech Owners Audition List"..... :thumb:

This way people interested in hearing a pair of SP Tech speakers might contact an owner listed in the "sticky" for an audition. Owners could list their location....model of speakers that they own....and equipment in use.

Chris

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2008, 11:50 am »
We're more than half way there with this.  I included my location.  If we all amend location to the post we're there
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=52951.0

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2008, 02:55 am »
We're more than half way there with this.  I included my location.  If we all amend location to the post we're there
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=52951.0

:duh:....I had forgotten about the thread started by Frank.... :duh:

Bob needs to make that a "sticky"......thanks Ted. :thumb: