Mini's - next batch???

Albireo

Re: Mini's - next batch???
« Reply #140 on: 2 May 2008, 05:06 pm »
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it as well! I'm still nursing my wounds from the departure of my S-9s about a year ago (not how long I waited for the Mini, but approaching it!) ....

Albireo

« Reply #141 on: 5 May 2008, 07:21 pm »
My Minis arrived at work a couple hours ago and I took an "extended break" to bring them home (I live just a few blocks away). Naturally, I couldn't resist taking them out and hooking them up :lol:. Firstly, the cabinetry and finish are quite stunning and the density is staggering. The boxes are small and unassuming, but I probably would've had a minor accident if everyone hadn't been warning about keeping a good grip! Secondly, I had forgotten how great the bass was on my old S-9s but the Minis immediately brought back fond memories of the S-9's eminently tight, punchy, and simply realistic low-end. I have a medium-ish room (14.5w x 17l x 9h) and the bass is clearly going to be sufficient for me. More to the point, I have a bad upper bass node in my room and the Mini did not excite it even though their initial placement is even worse than where I had the S-9s, the latter of which needed socks in the ports to further control the bass. Finally, memory is a moving target, but comparing my immediate impressions the Mini is more open in the highs than the S-9.

OK, back to work!

IronLion

« Reply #142 on: 5 May 2008, 07:28 pm »
Congrats Albireo!  Did you get one of the first pairs of full-hardwood veneer Minis?  What I'm saying is, take some photos!

Albireo

« Reply #143 on: 5 May 2008, 09:51 pm »
Congrats Albireo!  Did you get one of the first pairs of full-hardwood veneer Minis?  What I'm saying is, take some photos!

Sorry, I got the black-sided, glossy versions. But I'll take pictures anyway! You'll have to wait 'til later tonight though.

Albireo

« Reply #144 on: 6 May 2008, 02:42 pm »
I got a bit side-tracked last night, so apologies for not having had time to take any pictures. While waiting for my Minis my system changed quite a bit without my knowing if any of the changes worked since I didn't have any speakers! So for example, I took delivery of a pair of NuForce Ref 9V2 at the beginning of the year but I only just found out that one of them had a loose wire. So I had to debug the problem, crack out the soldering iron, etc.

The upshot is that I only had a brief time with the Minis in an operational system last night, and then only pretty much while watching an HD-DVD. Nevertheless, I had an interesting experience with the Onkyo PR-SC885 surround sound processor that I've been playing around with. This piece, if you recall, is the electronic equivalent of the Integra DTC-9.8 that has been so well-received. The sound of the processor is so-so, but the big draw for me is the Audyssey MultiEQ XT automatic room equalization. Perhaps to no one's surprise, the impact of the Audyssey EQ was much less than I had expected, almost trivial in fact, something I can attribute to the controlled dispersion of the tweeter as well as the very tight performance of the bass. The Minis are really quite forgiving in terms of room interaction!

I know the innovations are more in the tweeter waveguide, but I'm still in awe of the Mini's bass. Given the size of the cabinet (the Minis are definitely not mini!) I was really apprehensive about how they would excite my room nodes. But I haven't been bothered by bass anomalies at all, even when paying attention, and instead have been enjoying the superb extension and power. I really had not expected to get that kind of overall bass performance, though Bob had done his best to prepare me. Sorry Bob for not listening!