Well Tempered Classic Arm has some issues

WolfsongAudio

Well Tempered Classic Arm has some issues
« on: 16 Jan 2019, 05:39 pm »
Hello all,

I have a customer with a Well Tempered Classic that has been closeted for a few moons.  I was hired to bring her back to life and have encountered a few issues.  The well that holds the 100,000 cts silicone has come unglued from the arm base and thus rendered the arm impossible to set up.  I would like to know if anyone can provide the correct positioning of the damping well on the arm plate so that I might clean off the old adhesive and re-glue it in the proper position to allow for correct set up. Even is some kind soul might measure the distance from the edge of the well to the edge of the bottom plate of the arm on their own working arm.  Also the anti-skate thumb screw seems to move the arm in non linear fashion.  As in it does not always move the 2 silver centering bars when spun.  I would like to clean out all of the old silicone and replace it with new. Can anyone advise how to remove the old silicone?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike Burns

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Well Tempered Classic Arm has some issues
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2019, 07:04 pm »
The anti skate on my two tables works best with the bars fully closed and you can swab out the old goo with paper towels.
Here's some pics, hope they help.  Looks like mine trapped an ant at one time, maybe time to do some housekeeping...
I can't recall exactly where it is but there's an Allen bolt buried around there which will keep the azimuth adjustment steady.

WolfsongAudio

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2019, 10:32 pm »
SteveFord,

Thanks a ton for the images.  If it is not a hassle, can you measure from the edge of the cup to the end of the lower plate.  It looks like the cup sits closer to the rear of the plate than the sides.  In the image below I need the distance between the white ( poorly added by me ) lines.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2019, 01:51 pm »
Using the previous picture, the arrow at 3:00 is .195"

the arrow at 12:00 is .280"

even though you didn't ask for it, from the outside of the armrest rod to the cup is .478".

An interview I read said that these were assembled 100 at a time by hand so my guess is they eyeballed where it would look right and pressed the cup down. 

WolfsongAudio

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2019, 01:59 pm »
SteveFord,

Thank you sir.  I will see if I can get her back up to snuff.  I really appreciate your help.

Mike

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2019, 03:00 pm »
You're welcome.
It's a hard thing to take good pictures of but it looks like the cup on the one you're working on was pretty much in the right spot.
The design is just so clever and once you see if it's why didn't I think of that?  Forget the bearings, float the stuff in goo.

WolfsongAudio

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2019, 10:57 pm »
SteveFord,

I got the cup removed from the plate.  No glue, just a square of double sided tape.  Cleaned off the old adhesive and will apply new cement to both sides of the foam tape and then re-set the cup.  I also ordered a new vial of 100,000 cts silicone.   The goop in this well has the flow of very cold molasses.  It took 3 minutes for the first drip to come over the rim when I placed it on it's side.   I figured new goop would not be bad.

One more observation has come to mind.  The paddle has two holes and they are not lined up parallel to the arm wand.  Can you tell if yours are offset as well?  maybe 12 to 15 degrees?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2019, 08:26 am »
That sounds correct with the offset.
You want the paddle just submerged in the goo as well.  Initial set up takes a bit as you have to set things, wait for the paddle to settle, repeat.
You can just use a light weight of Mobil 1 in the spindle, I think it's 5W30 from memory but a search of this site will have it for sure.

This should get you going with the set up once you register with them:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/well-tempered/classic.shtml

If you see any reference to Stanalogue they're long out of business.

Vic

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2019, 07:45 pm »
I found that the black non-threaded anti-skate guide pins can get gummed up so as to not allow the silver anti-skate arm/s to move freely. To avoid a disassembly and while the cup is empty try squirting some isopropyl on the pins while turning the silver anti-skate adjusting wheel in and out.

Also, I found the anti-skate adjustment with the slightly concave Well Tempered platter almost impossible. I was able to flip the platter over on the spindle to use the flat surface instead. Using a test record with a groove-less track and making the the adjustment became very straight forward. You may need to position the cartridge leads and adhesive tape onto the plinth to further accommodate the adjustment.