DIY Tube Traps

Alfred96

DIY Tube Traps
« on: 9 Oct 2018, 07:33 am »
I'm going to give these a try, any advice on what circumference to go for?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: DIY Tube Traps
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2018, 07:38 am »
I'm going to give these a try, any advice on what circumference to go for?
Too much bass or resonances.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2018, 05:07 pm »
Hi, Alfred.

Have you watched any YouTube videos or read up on how to make them? I've been thinking about making a couple bass traps in order to save $$. I may try out a couple foam triangles or squares in my home office in order to gauge their effectiveness. There's a foam seller in town who will cut to order.

Hmm. I remember watching a video a couple years ago where the guy bought some rock wool and cut the 1" thick sheets into triangles and stacked them one on top of the other. Then, he fashioned a cloth sack to hold the stacked triangles. He didn't mention it, but I had assumed there was no significant other in his home to complain about how it looked as it was not a professional looking bass trap.  :nono:

Good luck with your project, and have fun!

Michael

P.S. Try 24" lengths for the two shorter sides. This makes cutting rock wool or other insulation into conveniently sized triangles because the panels are 24" X 48". First cut the panel/sheet in half to form two equal sized squares (24" X 24"). Then, make a diagonal cut in each square. Each panel will yield four 1" thick triangles. Don't let your partner see you using it, but a bread knife is a wonderful rock wool cutting blade.  :thumb:

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2018, 09:57 am »
mresseguie, I would advise against using foam, and certainly any old foam.

Years ago I used Auralex foam and was quite happy with it. However I learned that it doesn't absorb much below 125Hz (unless the foam is very large), and most problems occur below this. Once I used mineral wool products I got a much better sound.

When looking at materials or ready made products you should always check what they actually absorb. Most makers of good products will provide this info.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2018, 11:49 am »
Roxul Safe'nSound is a perfect material, reasonably priced, designed to absorb sound, and doesn't have the itching of fiberglass.  In my experience it comes in just shy of 4" thickness, 48"x18" in order to fit in between studs.  The cheapest down and dirty bass trap is to simply put a package in each corner.  The plastic packaging reflects high frequencies and the bass frequencies go right through.  However it's more fun and astheticaly pleasing to build an enclosure.  I didn't cut the material, just designed an eighteen inch wide frame, used four layers to make a deep enough enclosure to be effective at low frequencies, and stacked two in each corner to have floor to ceiling coverage.  A little chicken wire or course hardware cloth stapled to the frame is all you need to keep the layers stable, they'll almost stand on their own.  Cover with your choice of fabric and you're done, which fabric doesn't matter at these frequencies.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:50 pm »
I used 12" round sono tubes (cardboard forms for concrete).
Cut them in half and used 1x3 wood slats across the front and back,
every 16 inches. Covered them in open fabric, and placed them in
each front corner. I have some rolled up tucked behind as well.
Above them are corner traps, they have safe and sound behind as well.

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2018, 04:21 pm »
The original tube taps were two circular pieces of plywood. They formed the top and bottom. Fence wire formed to body of the tube and was stapled to the plywood top and bottom pieces. Absorbent material was placed inside the tube before attaching the top plywood piece. The outside was covered in a speaker cloth sock.