..Audiomart USA rant

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..Audiomart USA rant
« on: 17 Aug 2018, 04:23 pm »
..I need to get this off my chest...I have listed and sold several items on Audiomart with pretty positive results.  But on virtually every listing I’ll get emails from guys who feign interest oonly to find that after a number of email exchanges they weren’t serious at all.  I swear they troll listings and somehow get off on playing this BS game.  It’s happened again just this week...grrr

Don_S

Re: ..Audiomart USA rant
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2018, 04:48 pm »
I have found some excellent buyers on US Audio Mart. Unfortunately my last "buyer" never sent payment or bothered to tell me he changed his mind.  I reminded him once and he promised to get payment sent but weeks later, ZIP. No money, no email.  Ad is still posted.  My philosophy is nothing is sold until I receive payment.

Should I rate the non-buyer? Yes or no?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2018, 05:47 pm »
It happens on most websites where there are not serious buyers who waste your time.  I have one thing listed for sale now (amp) and many times if something doesn't sell at a decent price, I'll just rotate it to a secondary system and sell a cheaper component of the same type.  It never ceases to amaze me on some of the responses received like 'I only have a budget for $xx,' which is way too low a price (which I'd never sell for - if you can't afford it why look) or silly questions about a component which is still current where the information is basic and right on the manufacturers website or various reviews (how serious of a buyer can one be if they don't know basics readily available about a current product around for a few years - e.g. is the amp pure class A or tube when it is not) or how old something is that has been around for just a few years (does it really matter if it is two years or three years old - I can understand if it were about 15+ years old and they were concerned about recapping).  I have four pictures of the amp (front and back and sides with the top showing) and hi-rez copies available and I got a question if the amp is 220 volts, both knowing my current location and the back of the unit which clearly indicates it is not.  I also rate it conservatively (8/10 and the listing says it is conservative) and get questions which are readily apparent from the photos and all I do is offer to send them the hi-rez photos or come look at it (not going to waste my time on that or start taking custom pictures of every inch - they can buy another listing).

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2018, 06:53 pm »
I've been going back and forth with a guy from audiomart who is supposed to meet me today. He talked me into bringing my late friends huge speakers to my place so he could listen to them. He still hasn't gotten back to me and the day is half over. I told him he needed to be serious for me to go to the trouble since I had to get a friend to help me and my back sucks.

We shall see...

SundayNiagara

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2018, 07:55 pm »
Put in the listing in CAPS: LOW BALLERS WILL BE POLITELY IGNORED.

They are looking to buy low to resell. :(

who?me?

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2018, 10:42 pm »
I have found some excellent buyers on US Audio Mart. Unfortunately my last "buyer" never sent payment or bothered to tell me he changed his mind.  I reminded him once and he promised to get payment sent but weeks later, ZIP. No money, no email.  Ad is still posted.  My philosophy is nothing is sold until I receive payment.

Should I rate the non-buyer? Yes or no?

THAT is The PROBLEM, you can’t give feedback to someone that FLAKED OUT and didn’t end up buying.

Tubeburner

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2018, 12:08 am »
I refuse to answer or acknowledge the low ball offers. They get nothing if there is no communication. How the "new generation " gets their kicks is beyond stupid, IMO.

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2018, 01:57 am »
I have never used Audiomart, only Ebay and AC. I first try Audiocircle, if no interest, I will start it at a fairly low ball bid on Ebay. I hope just two bidders have enough interest to start a bidding war. So far in over 18 years on Ebay, 6-7 years here on AC, I have had fairly good luck with both. Knock on wood.

I get a lot of low ballers on Ebay, just a few on AC, and I politely turn them all down.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2018, 03:50 am »
..this time the guy made me a reasonable offer which I accepted...he never got back with me even after repeated emails...not cool

decal

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2018, 08:58 am »
Put in the listing in CAPS: LOW BALLERS WILL BE POLITELY IGNORED.

They are looking to buy low to resell. :(

This probably just adds fuel to the fire for these people IMHO.

Stercom

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2018, 09:29 am »
Anymore, if its someone I haven't dealt with before, I don't recognize their screen name or they have low/no feedback I ask for their telephone number. If they refuse or ignore my request their email goes straight to trash.  It tells me they aren't serious. I generally don't say "low ballers will be ignored" since I've sold a number of items after negotiating a price that started with a very low first offer.

bluemeanies

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2018, 10:25 am »
I too have sold quite a few items on Audio Mart AND Ebay.
Ebay being the lesser of my choices. IMO..They were great when they first started but over the years they have become a bit greedy.
None the less AUDIO MART is my favorite...FREE.
As far as low ballers you have them everywhere. Including myself. It's like a crap shot. I was looking for a Variac for my 2channel system and there was a Staco Variac in good condition for $180.00. It was on EBay for several weeks so I put a bid in for $100.00 and the seller took it.
Low ballers are part of the deal when selling.
To go on I was selling my golf clubs, bag, travel carrier, balls, tees, 3woods and 12 irons, all with new grips..the whole enchilada for $60.00!
People contacted me wanting them for $20.00!!!
Granted it is frustrating and I give this advice..STAND YOUR GROUND! If you have a fair or more than fair price "HOLD FAST".
My latest commitment to sell was a 3year old PRISTINE condition warranty good until May 2020, GRACE DESIGN M920 pre-amp dac & headphone amp, orginal box, manual, with remote that was a separate piece added price when I bought...I shot high at $1100+ FREE SHIPPING on EAST COAST. I had offers of $800.00..I'd rather keep it.
I wound up selling it locally on an APP called "LET IT GO"...I was able to sell it for $975.00 and there was no shipping involved. I was surprised by "let it go" and also elated.

Sorry to ramble but to the orginal writer of this thread...I do understand your frustration and sometimes that frustration comes from you and I being to anxious.
Don't give in to CHEAP offers.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2018, 11:49 am »
I appreciate it can be frustrating dealing with online sales, but most of us here are old enough to remember what you had to go through to buy/sell things just 2 decades ago. Remember placing classified ads in newspapers and magazines?  :duh:

Glad it was just a lost sale to a tire kicker and not an online scam.

bacobits1

« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2018, 05:51 pm »
It does come with the territory we all know, But some of that stuff mentioned is damn ignorant!

jpm

« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2018, 06:30 pm »
In that grey area between an absurd offer and a low but OK offer, attitude counts for everything with me. I'll reply to even an absurdly low offers if it's made politely and with recognition that the offer is very low. Otherwise I just ignore them, unless it's for a pair of speakers in which case I politely explain that I'm only prepared to sell the pair, not a single speaker.

oem-wheels

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2018, 12:36 am »
At my work we sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay.. We post multiple clear pictures of the item we listed with a very detailed description.. We post "THE ITEM IN THE PICTURE IS THE ACTUAL ITEM YOU WILL RECEIVE"..  Still, we get numerous requests for returns because the color doesn't match the other 3 .. We posted a silver painted part and theirs is chrome.. We have a 30 day return policy so you can imagine how frustrating it can get..  I can go on and on with stuff like this..  Its just part of doing business with the general public.. Its ok to rant.. I do it.. But realize ahead of time before you post something for sale you'll bump into these kinds of people and it won't bother as much..

SundayNiagara

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2018, 06:49 pm »
All of my ebay listings say: YOU ARE BUYING WHAT IS PICTURED.

galyons

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2018, 12:16 am »
If I  see anything like this in a FS post/ad I ignore the ad!  " LOW BALLERS WILL BE POLITELY IGNORED."  This, or statements of a similar ilk, IME, almost universally signals an ignorant, immature seller. Why?  It ignores the basic premise of a "For Sale" ad.  A real seller wants offers.  Offers are good, that is the point of the ad. Offers too low? Seller should simply counter-offer or say thanks to the interested party for their offer and let them politely know your selling price needs to be much closer to the asking price.  The " LOW BALLERS WILL BE POLITELY IGNORED." is also a red flag that the seller has little knowledge of the actual market price of the subject property, so they immaturely "defend" their ego price with the off putting threat.

The market sets the selling price, not the seller.  The more knowledgeable the seller is about the actual fair market value, the simpler the transaction is for everyone involved. The more knowledge and resources, about the product, that they seller provides, the more informed decision a potential buyer can make. Selling used equipment is not rocket science, it is like most everything else in life. If one sets an arrogant, ignorant tone in an initial communication, the future discourse is unlikely to improve.

Of course, as in all things, YMMV!

Cheers,
Geary

ngamountains

« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2018, 12:45 am »
If I  see anything like this in a FS post/ad I ignore the ad!  " LOW BALLERS WILL BE POLITELY IGNORED."  This, or statements of a similar ilk, IME, almost universally signals an ignorant, immature seller. Why?  It ignores the basic premise of a "For Sale" ad.  A real seller wants offers.  Offers are good, that is the point of the ad. Offers too low? Seller should simply counter-offer or say thanks to the interested party for their offer and let them politely know your selling price needs to be much closer to the asking price.  The " LOW BALLERS WILL BE POLITELY IGNORED." is also a red flag that the seller has little knowledge of the actual market price of the subject property, so they immaturely "defend" their ego price with the off putting threat.

The market sets the selling price, not the seller.  The more knowledgeable the seller is about the actual fair market value, the simpler the transaction is for everyone involved. The more knowledge and resources, about the product, that they seller provides, the more informed decision a potential buyer can make. Selling used equipment is not rocket science, it is like most everything else in life. If one sets an arrogant, ignorant tone in an initial communication, the future discourse is unlikely to improve.

Cheers,
Geary

The corollary I love is when someone wants/needs to sell, and has far too high an opinion of the value of his/her item, so on the first of second price drop notes in the ad that now the item is "Priced to Sell", often with that always value-added *** before and after.  LOL!  The market will tell you when your item is priced to sell.  Just because you are a frustrated seller and are "priced to sell" and "firm", no one cares if it's far too expensive for what it is.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2018, 12:46 am »

Cheers,
Geary

When someone uses those types of statements like lowballers would be ingnored it just shows me they are not truly open to NEGOTIATIONS.

IMO, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it....If no one is willing to pay for your asking price then guess what? :wink: