Newbie streamer

Ragnar71

Newbie streamer
« on: 24 Jul 2021, 02:21 am »
Can I connect my new TV to my Dac then my Dac to my integrated and use the Tidal App on the TV to stream? Will this. Work? Work good?

WGH

Re: Newbie streamer
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2021, 03:27 pm »
Maybe, it depends on the TV and DAC. Your question is similar to asking "Will my car go 150 mph?" without any more information.

Search Google for "breakout box"
Your will need the TV's HDMI ARC enabled and the HDMI cable plugged into the ARC output. NO ARC? Look for a breakout box with optical in.
Match the breakout box HDMI output to your DAC, Monoprice has an affordable breakout box but the output is digital optical S/PDIF, does your DAC have a optical input?
If not then you will have to look for a different breakout box that has a coaxial SPDIF output, ideally using a digital audio cable, also from Monoprice.

Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI Audio Extractor, 18Gbps, HDCP 2.2
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24278&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9O6HBhCrARIsADx5qCSzVr9SNXfKb37vy3Z1ETGgv7YpoEfrxrAL6biH3By69ab5a9IsmU8aApZyEALw_wcB

Some DAC's like the Chord Mojo will accept the optical output from a TV so you don't need the breakout box.

After all that I have no idea if the input into your DAC will work or work good because I never tried what you are doing. 5.1 output through ARC into a receiver can be real good, the new eARC supports up to192kHz, 24-bit, and uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1, and 32-channel uncompressed audio. It also supports DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos and sound excellent.

Ragnar71

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2021, 03:55 pm »
Ok…. My Sony OLED has Digital Optical Audio out, can’t I run that to the optical in on a DAC?

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2021, 04:27 pm »
Ok…. My Sony OLED has Digital Optical Audio out, can’t I run that to the optical in on a DAC?

The TV optical out is probably 5.1 which is not the same as a 2 channel 16 bit - 44.1 kHz DAC input. What is your DAC? Why are you making us guess?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2021, 04:36 pm »
There may be settings in the TV to make the optical output 2CH PCM - https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iusltn1/v1/en-003/07_08.html

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2021, 04:39 pm »
Read your PM's, still don't know what DAC you are using.

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2021, 05:04 pm »
The answer is probably.  Your TV will likely have a TOSLINK output.  Connect this to your DAC and your DAC to the integrated amp.

I have Tidal installed on a Chromecast/Google TV.  It runs through the TV to my DAC.

MttBsh

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2021, 05:23 pm »
I also have a Sony OLED TV that has optical out put which I connect to the optical in on my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Gives movies and even TV programming audiophile sound quality.

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2021, 04:38 pm »
Do you guys find optical connection is better than coaxial?

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2021, 06:11 pm »
Do you guys find optical connection is better than coaxial?
I find that it depends on the sending and receiving components. Many say it also depends on the cable used. So IMO the only way to know in a specific case is to try both.

Kw6

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2021, 04:52 am »
I find that it depends on the sending and receiving components. Many say it also depends on the cable used. So IMO the only way to know in a specific case is to try both.

Ok thanks!