Replacement for my dead SACD player

Photon46

Re: Replacement for my dead SACD player
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2020, 03:31 pm »

The Oppo 1 series that can rip dsd is most intriguing.  That might be the way to go and either put money in higher end DAC or vinyl.

Thoughts?

If that route is of interest, PS Audio has a SACD transport in beta testing that is scheduled for an October release.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-sacd-transport/

twitch54

« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2020, 08:19 pm »
DonJoe, I have a Cary 306 Pro for sale if you're interested. If so shoot me a PM

Dave

AndrewA

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2020, 09:29 pm »
Luxman D-05u.

Luxman just released new x-series players, so the u-series even if new should be discounted.  And it plays SACD.

dixi

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:30 am »
Oppo 205 tube modified by Modwright ,superb sounding universal player,probably best player under 5000$

Craig B

« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2020, 12:46 pm »
If that route is of interest, PS Audio has a SACD transport in beta testing that is scheduled for an October release.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-sacd-transport/

Their new PS Audio transport will not rip DSD data files from SACDs, it will only output them via I2S to one of their DACs. Here's what Paul MacGowan said in a current thread on the new unit:

"We cannot legally rip and store SACD on a server - though I wish we could. If we, as a company, enable our customers to do this we’d be in hot water and legally liable. So, no."

Photon46

« Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:25 pm »
Their new PS Audio transport will not rip DSD data files from SACDs, it will only output them via I2S to one of their DACs. Here's what Paul MacGowan said in a current thread on the new unit:

"We cannot legally rip and store SACD on a server - though I wish we could. If we, as a company, enable our customers to do this we’d be in hot water and legally liable. So, no."

Yes, that is correct. The owner of PS Audio has clarified that point since yesterday. While Sony's desire to protect their technology is understandable, their legal restrictions on use and the expense of licensing has greatly inhibited the adoption of the format. I listen to a lot of classical music and I am a big fan of the format so I remain invested in SACDs. I recently decided to buy a Luxman d-08u player and I've been more than pleased at the unit's audio and build quality. My previous Luxman d-05 gave ten years of daily use without a hiccup so I hope the new one is equally as reliable.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:51 pm »
I bought a Marantz SA-10   I use it exclusively as a DAC  with a couple of CD players.
I bought it after a home trial from my local dealer in which I discovered CDs can sound as good as SACD even if via a separte CD changer to teh SA-10 as DAC.
Yes the SACD played by the SA-10 does sound a tiny bit better than CDs played via a 'bought on eBay old used changer to the SA-10 as DAC. but the difference is so small..
Anyway that was my choice.
I replaced a DAC that I paid used $200 for ten years earlier (that had easily matched in quality a $2300 raved in both TAS and Sterophile which I returned years earlier to same dealer who loaned me the Marantx SA-10 Note the $200 vs $7000 for the SA-10 as a good purchase choice by me. the SA-10 was better. Period. and specially with CDs... so well worth whatever it cost.
IT may not be the choice made by OP here. but it was mine.
Makes zero difference to me what the op does with this info. just offering the experience.
ANd yes it is toally true I can't hear shit. LOL

twitch54

« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2020, 03:46 pm »

I would hope not, never knew it to make a sound ........  :green:

JakeJ

« Reply #28 on: 21 Aug 2020, 04:07 pm »
Makes a bloop! sound when it hits the water.  :rotflmao:

Freo-1

« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2020, 07:44 pm »
I use a Sony UBP X-1100ES as a transport,  and a RME ADI-2 DAC for analog out.  Plays darn near everything,  and sounds great. 

Norman Tracy

« Reply #30 on: 21 Aug 2020, 08:26 pm »
I use a Sony UBP X-1100ES as a transport,  and a RME ADI-2 DAC for analog out.  Plays darn near everything,  and sounds great.

Freo-1 I looked up the various RME ADI-2 models....ah so much lust and envy..... :drool:

https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-pro-be.html

Given this thread's SACD specific title am I correct the UBP X-1100ES transport + RME ADI-2 DAC rig is playing PCM output on the Sony's SPDIF connector? I presume playing a SACD the UBP X-1100ES does not output on the SPDIF, correct?

Freo-1

« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2020, 12:49 am »
Freo-1 I looked up the various RME ADI-2 models....ah so much lust and envy..... :drool:

https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-pro-be.html

Given this thread's SACD specific title am I correct the UBP X-1100ES transport + RME ADI-2 DAC rig is playing PCM output on the Sony's SPDIF connector? I presume playing a SACD the UBP X-1100ES does not output on the SPDIF, correct?

Forgot to mention:  To get hi-res DSD out from the X-1100ES, I use a Kanex Pro which takes the HDMI out and converts to SPDIF.  The SPIF out from the Kanex Pro is hi- res pcm, which feeds the ADI-2.  Works well.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2020, 07:21 pm by Freo-1 »

DonJoe

« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2020, 12:53 am »
Hi All,

Been reading for days. So many options and great ones mentioned here.

My boys and I are building some GR Research X-LS Encores as a family project.  We have a PM8004 marantz and Pro Ject X2 turntable I plan to use with this system.  I was going to add my Sony HAP Z1ES to this system form my Ayre/Rhaido system but based on all I have read, think I may keep it in my system.  Apparently the DAC system in it is equivalent/comparable to the Sony 5400ES player.  Rather than racing to a new transport, I think I may pick up a Denafraps R2R Dac to upgrade the sound of mY HAP Z1ES and also play dac to whatever transport I land on.  Seems like getting the DAC will upgrade what I have and also play nice with a transport later on when budget allows. 

Still doing some thinking though...I hate parting with my cash  :o
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2020, 03:38 pm by DonJoe »

ric

« Reply #33 on: 23 Aug 2020, 01:27 pm »
I went with a dac first (Border Patrol) when my Rega Apollo was screwing up, knowing that "down the road" all (digital) sound would travel through the dac, and then a few months later found a used Zen mini, and now I'm streaming and listening to my old cd's through the mini. No need to buy any more cd's or downloads, no more getting up to change one cd to the next, life is tough!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #34 on: 1 Sep 2020, 03:55 pm »

Sonny

« Reply #35 on: 1 Sep 2020, 04:02 pm »
I bought a Marantz SA-10   I use it exclusively as a DAC  with a couple of CD players.
I bought it after a home trial from my local dealer in which I discovered CDs can sound as good as SACD even if via a separte CD changer to teh SA-10 as DAC.
Yes the SACD played by the SA-10 does sound a tiny bit better than CDs played via a 'bought on eBay old used changer to the SA-10 as DAC. but the difference is so small..
Anyway that was my choice.
I replaced a DAC that I paid used $200 for ten years earlier (that had easily matched in quality a $2300 raved in both TAS and Sterophile which I returned years earlier to same dealer who loaned me the Marantx SA-10 Note the $200 vs $7000 for the SA-10 as a good purchase choice by me. the SA-10 was better. Period. and specially with CDs... so well worth whatever it cost.
IT may not be the choice made by OP here. but it was mine.
Makes zero difference to me what the op does with this info. just offering the experience.

Agreed with Elizabeth.  I too have the SA10 and love it.  Use it as a DAC too!

twitch54

« Reply #36 on: 1 Sep 2020, 06:18 pm »
Agreed with Elizabeth.  I too have the SA10 and love it.  Use it as a DAC too!

and there may be a 'new love' arriving this Friday .......... :wink:

Sonny

« Reply #37 on: 1 Sep 2020, 07:28 pm »
and there may be a 'new love' arriving this Friday .......... :wink:

Man, spilling the beans huh Dave????  :P

twitch54

« Reply #38 on: 1 Sep 2020, 07:45 pm »
Man, spilling the beans huh Dave????  :P

anticipation Tuan, anticipation !

twitch54