There is something to this DSD thing afterall.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
There is something to this DSD thing afterall.
« on: 21 Dec 2012, 05:59 pm »
I remember the SACD vs CD debate and I wasn't sold on stereo DSD back then.  I was initially impressed with the DSOTM MC recording but subsequent 3 channel Jazz remasters were not that impressive.

Fast forward and now I am very impressed with DSD over USB  (DFF files streamed in DoP 1.1 using J River18).  I have been saying 24/96 (my previous hirez capability) was better than 16/44 but less then analog --  at least on limited recordings that I had all three versions of.  But with 24/192 and DSD in DoP,  the line is blurred.  DSD in particular has that organic presentation that vinyl addicts can't live without.  I finally got things set up to listen to DSD natively for the first time.  Rhapsody in Blue (DFF) was mesmerizing.  I didn't want to go to sleep.  I kept wanting to hear more.  I have some cross checking with vinyl to do.  I have been sorting through thousands of classical vinyl lately anyway.  For classical music lovers, this could be really something else.  It's a good thing I have the next 10 days off to check out what I am hearing.  For the first time ever, I am actually excited to listen to digital for the sheer sound of the music -- not just because it's convenient.

It's an exciting time.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: There is somthing to this DSD thing afterall.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:02 pm »
Welcome to the Club.  :)  What DAC again?  And if you can try doing DSD in DSF, as it is the same format except has a header that accepts ID3V2 tags (i.e metadata).  J River will tag and edit them, etc.  Anyway...great that you are enjoying DSD.   :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Re: There is something to this DSD thing afterall.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:08 pm »
I broke down and got the DAC 2X.  It's the best DAC I have ever had whether decoding PCM or DSD.

BTW,  did you upload the last firmware update?  I got an e-mail but I was too busy trying to get everything sorted out to get to it.  So I am running what ever was current last month. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:26 pm »
Yes, Greg sent it over and I installed it asap.  He also sent an update on the easiest process, so if you don't have that lemme know.  The DAC2X is the ultimate reference IMHO.  it is my Meitner DAC with ceramic analog boards..so if it is better than the MA-1 (and it is) it is other wordly.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:33 pm »
Hi Woodsyi:

Welcome to the DSD Club.  :D  I know that you are an opera guy.  I love DSD because the availabilty of classical music.  I know that some folks complain about other genres not represented as much but for guys like you and me, there is a wealth of great DSD recordings to listen to!  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

wisnon

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:56 pm »
Dont see why they complain, as a versatile quality DAC will play everything, and if Classical is not your bag, then bring on the hiRez PCM.
As Ted says, horses for courses.

BTW, the tubed DSD DAC should be in prototype stage by now. I will check...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2012, 07:00 pm »
Absolutely Randy,  Classical rocks.

I also listened to SRV's Tin Pan Alley in DFF and vinyl.  I am not sure what's better.  It's just an ordinary 33 LP.  I got SRV's 45's on order.  I will be able to compare the (presumably) best analog has to offer to DSD.  What fun! 8)

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2012, 07:12 pm »
Absolutely Randy,  Classical rocks.

I also listened to SRV's Tin Pan Alley in DFF and vinyl.  I am not sure what's better.  It's just an ordinary 33 LP.  I got SRV's 45's on order.  I will be able to compare the (presumably) best analog has to offer to DSD.  What fun! 8)

Of course keep in mind that, like PCM hirez, some DSD is just converted from another format (like SRV stuff).  Of the 7200 SACDs out there, about 2800 are recorded in DSD (the vast majority of these are classical from labels like Pentatone, Channel Classics, Telarc, Chandos and others), another 1000 or so are analog masters-direct-to-DSD (i.e like RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living presence, Steve and Kevin's Analog Productions jazz reissues of Blue Note, Verve and Impulse for Chad Kassem, etc) and the rest are PCM-based (with about 500 that have unknown provenance).  Of the PCM-based ones, they cover the spectrum of well-done to miserable.  :)   But in many cases it's the only hirez we have of them, so although their native PCM origins would be better sources, beggars can't be choosers.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2012, 07:27 pm »
There is presumably a DSD remaster directly from the original analog tapes associated with the 45's I have on order.  I mean you wouldn't go PCM to get redbook then reconstruct the SACD layer from that.  Would you?

Quote from: Stevieray.com
    * Three Audiophile vinyl and SACD sets coming: One of the Analog Productions box sets will be a 12-LP, 180gram, 45rpm vinyl box set of all 5 studio albums plus Family Style ($325-$400). A second box set will be 6-LPs at 33rpm ($199-$280). The third box set will be six Hybrid SACDs ($199-$280). The recordings are remastered from the original 1/2" analog tapes by Sterling Sound (vs MoFi using another source and remastered in-house). For those with the equipment to benefit from this process, the 180g 45rpm vinyl is probably the best Stevie's music will ever sound. Release date March 26, 2013. They sent me a test pressing of the CSTW album. The sound is super clean, and the mix is much better than the original vinyl in my opinion. The vocal and Stevie's guitar are in better focus, with the drums behind Stevie instead of on top. The ambiance is more woody and less tinny. Can't wait to hear the rest of the box.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2012, 07:35 pm »
There is presumably a DSD remaster directly from the original analog tapes associated with the 45's I have on order.  I mean you wouldn't go PCM to get redbook then reconstruct the SACD layer from that.  Would you?

No, those are an example of what I stated above.  Kevin Gray (and/or Steve Hoffman) do a wonderful job  for Analog Productions.  It's nice to be able to get the original analog master tapes, then master them over to DSD.  Their previous stuff (like Kevin's recent Norah Jones project) was superb.  BTW, the first Norah album was done exactly like you said (improperly getting the 16/44 redbook and then mastering from that!!) accidentally.  Don't buy that one, with a release date of 2002..  :)

tonyptony

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2012, 12:24 am »
I'd be curious to hear if anyone with a DSD DAC has tried DFF tune transcoded to PCM in JRiver versus the same tune in high res PCM. I've been wondering how good the DSD-PCM transcoder is in JRiver.

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2012, 12:45 am »
woodsy,
How do you like the Dac 2x versus the Acute III that you have listed in your system?
I've thought about getting the EAR Acute.
Thanks,

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2012, 03:51 am »
woodsy,
How do you like the Dac 2x versus the Acute III that you have listed in your system?
I've thought about getting the EAR Acute.
Thanks,

Ear Acute III is a wonderful CD player.  It definitely is a step up from an Empirical Audio modded Northstar transport/DAC even with a dedicated Pace Car and I2S connection.  It has a highly resolving and yet very musical presentation.  You can also tune it by rolling tubes.  The cryoed Siemens Occam recommended take the sound to a very resolving mode.  You can get warmer with different tubes.  I found it very good with the Siemens in my tube rich system. 

Really the only reason I went for the DAC 2X is for it's DSD capability.  Having compared the two, DAC 2x is better to me than EAR Acute III even in Redbook decoding but EAR  is no slouch at all.  It's a wonderful CD player/hirez DAC.  It is amazing what information is in the plain CDs if you have a DAC that will extract it.  EAR CD player with digital inputs including USB is capable of decoding up to  24/192.  PM me if you are interested.  I will give you a good deal with extra tubes.  I will test the tubes with Amplitrex tester before sending out.  I am currently using it as a CD transport to the EMM DAC but it's really wasted as just a transport.   :duh:  I will probably get an EMM transport at some point so I can play hirez discs straight without ripping but I am in no hurry. 

jcotner

« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2012, 05:45 am »
Of course keep in mind that, like PCM hirez, some DSD is just converted from another format (like SRV stuff).  Of the 7200 SACDs out there, about 2800 are recorded in DSD (the vast majority of these are classical from labels like Pentatone, Channel Classics, Telarc, Chandos and others), another 1000 or so are analog masters-direct-to-DSD (i.e like RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living presence, Steve and Kevin's Analog Productions jazz reissues of Blue Note, Verve and Impulse for Chad Kassem, etc) and the rest are PCM-based (with about 500 that have unknown provenance).

Ted would like to know is there a master list you got this from. I've got a few hundred SACDs and was wondering about sources. It would be great if there was a go to list on the web somewhere. I'm guessing you got these statistics from somewhere. Thx.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2012, 01:57 pm »
A couple years of research, but lots gained from sa-cd.net.  The listing s will show DSD or not, and you can search on DSD (but the search brings up only 1575 or so, yet if you were to count them all they are like 2700...so the search misses quite a percentage.

mr_bill

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2012, 03:41 am »
Ear Acute III is a wonderful CD player.  It definitely is a step up from an Empirical Audio modded Northstar transport/DAC even with a dedicated Pace Car and I2S connection.  It has a highly resolving and yet very musical presentation.  You can also tune it by rolling tubes.  The cryoed Siemens Occam recommended take the sound to a very resolving mode.  You can get warmer with different tubes.  I found it very good with the Siemens in my tube rich system. 

Really the only reason I went for the DAC 2X is for it's DSD capability.  Having compared the two, DAC 2x is better to me than EAR Acute III even in Redbook decoding but EAR  is no slouch at all.  It's a wonderful CD player/hirez DAC.  It is amazing what information is in the plain CDs if you have a DAC that will extract it.  EAR CD player with digital inputs including USB is capable of decoding up to  24/192.  PM me if you are interested.  I will give you a good deal with extra tubes.  I will test the tubes with Amplitrex tester before sending out.  I am currently using it as a CD transport to the EMM DAC but it's really wasted as just a transport.   :duh:  I will probably get an EMM transport at some point so I can play hirez discs straight without ripping but I am in no hurry.

Woodsyi,
PM sent,