How bad is this turntable?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.

wushuliu

Re: How bad is this turntable?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2018, 06:18 pm »
The price tells you everything you need to know. I ain't mad though cause you know what? All these House of Marley products represent Rita Marley finally, FINALLY regaining legal power over the use of Marley's name. So all the bajillion posters and merchandising over these decades - she and the family got nothing from that. Nothing; and Bob is arguably the most recognizable and ubiquitous face world-wide.

So if after all these years the family wants to cash in with marked up products - sounds fine by me. They deserve it.

That said the table is easy on the eyes and if you're gonna have a crappy table you might as well support an environmentally-friendly one.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2018, 06:48 pm »
To most of the world a turntable is a turntable --- you have one or you don't. Quality is not considered, just utility. The price is certainly not exploitive and this table could whet an appetite for better performing gear once the bit is in.

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2018, 08:09 pm »
I think it’s fine just as long as you don’t spin records on it and place the needle in the groove of the album.

Luxmancl38

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2018, 08:12 pm »
Bamboo plinth so it's fairly rigid. Looks a lot better than a Crosley. Might be on the same level as the U-Turn Turntables. Fairly decent for entry level TT.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2018, 08:20 pm »
You could actually buy a Pro-ject or a MusicHall
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon same price and vastly better.
One look at the arm on the op TT and YIKES. Give it a pass.
Way way better around at the same price.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2018, 08:22 pm »
Might be on the same level as the U-Turn Turntables.

I highly, highly doubt that.

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2018, 11:43 pm »
looks like a POS ...........

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2018, 12:58 am »
twitch54

"looks like a POS ..........."
looks like a POS ...........Special.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2018, 02:27 am »
You could actually buy a Pro-ject or a MusicHall
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon same price and vastly better.
One look at the arm on the op TT and YIKES. Give it a pass.
Way way better around at the same price.

The Orbit would also belong on that list.

Good for the Marley family to be making $ finally (I'm sure they got screwed royally for years) but, as Elizabeth says, I'd look elsewhere even at the budget price point.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2018, 07:35 am »
I would never buy that turntable. I have a Nottingham Analogue. If I needed a replacement, I would look at Pear Audio since it is similar design if I couldn't find another Nottingham.

I am curious about some of the cheap turntables like the $329/$359 Marantz, $329 Denon, and other similar priced ones.

beeah

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2018, 03:25 pm »
Looks like a pared-down Shinola, which itself is a pared-down entry-level VPI .

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2018, 06:02 pm »
Has anyone actually seen this turntable in person or have an opportunity to listen to it?

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2018, 07:33 pm »
Has anyone actually seen this turntable in person or have an opportunity to listen to it?

no, life's too short

same thing applies to $8 bottle's of cab ................

stonedeaf

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2018, 03:58 am »
OK .3% speed accuracy ain't inspiring. At least when your kids break/bend the stylus -it's cheap and readily available - instead of just being relabeled . It's hard to judge arms -sold a pile of AR tables back in the day -their arms looked like they were designed by General Kalashnikov - but worked quit well. If they are talking 200 bucks after discount - might be OK ( My definition of "OK" when it comes to turntables is it won't permanently  damage records played on it.)

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2018, 06:01 am »
We are not the target demographic. This is a lifestyle product, not an audiophile one. Not much point in comparing it to audiophile tables.

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2018, 04:43 pm »
if it doesn't destroy vinyl like a Crosley does, no complaints from me will be had.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2018, 05:00 pm »
What about some of the cheap turntables like the $329/$359 Marantz, $329 Denon, and other similar priced ones?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2018, 05:18 pm »
They play music, they don't damage records, and actually have a hint of vinyl magic.  But they're on the lifeless side of dynamics and have reduced soundstage and imaging with a veiled presentation of detail.  It's kinda hard to determine if it's the cheap cartridge or the table that's lacking, but the same Grado Gold on a Pro-ject Debut that sounded rather ordinary came to life on a VPI HW19 Jr with Rega RB300.  So it depends on application, they're fine for the lake house or dorm room, not so much in your main rig.

stonedeaf

« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2018, 07:32 pm »
What's killing our shared hobby/obsession is the lack of introductory products - folks who bought a AR XA with a Dynaco SCA-80 or 35 -added a set of Dynaco A-25's or AR-4x's -were not buyin the best available back then.  Certainly not the most expensive. Lots of folks stopped right there and used that equipment for decades and really enjoyed the music it brought into their lives. And for some of them - it was the introduction to a life long ( and maybe checkbook draining) obsession. I  really appreciate products like the classic Dynaco or NAD 3020  (ART DJ pre-II today)- that were just a small audible step up from good 'nuff -but could wet their users appetite for better.
Todays h$end audio is mostly un-interesting to me - the limited production runs and concentration on cosmetic design elements create products that simply don't seem worth the price to me as a consumer.
So - venting over : Point of any turntable/arm/cart is -does it damage records that are played on
 it ? At least the pics are pretty ? LP playback is like democracy - never perfect/always improvable.