Signature TVC - double c-core, dual mono

jadis boy

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2008, 12:30 pm by jadis boy »

iSanchez

Re: Signature TVC - double c-core, dual mono
« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2008, 08:41 pm »
Congratulations on your new TVC.  The TVC will sound great at first but it'll take a good 400-500 hrs to sound best.  After that, the TVC will really elevate the sound from of your system.

iSanchez

jadis boy

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2008, 12:29 pm by jadis boy »

anubisgrau

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2008, 11:39 pm »
wow my god
is amazing  :hyper:
the sound now is amazing and he have  250 hours only
thank's nicholas many thank's you have the best product :notworthy:
the details is amazing :dance:
the organ same
the soundstage wow :notworthy:
the stero/picture wow
the quiet (dead)

i am very happy  :angel:

good for you;=)..... i'm only wondering what other passive preamps (and possible TVCs) you've had in your system for extensive listening. would you care to make a comparison?

anubisgrau

« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2008, 11:43 pm »
hi fellow,

The new Signature TVC is just arrived at my home. I want to audit it right the way but I am out of town until this weekend.
I've owned a S&B copper mk3 based TVC for long time. I like it much better than some generic tube pre.

Chang, would you pls share with us how the Signature TVC you have stands against a S&B 102Mk3 you used to have. Would you have a chance for a direct comparison. Certainly there are areas where S&B can be much improved however IMHO it sounded quite superior to a Ref4 Prometheus TVC I used to own.

cchang

« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2008, 02:37 am »
anubisgrau,

I should be able to do a detail comparison as the S&B mk3 is still with me. But I prefer to make it, might be a month later.
Reason 1: The Signature does not burnt complete yet while the S&B has been in service over 3 years
Reason 2: I'm quite busy now, not able to audit the system often, only by Sat & Sun.

So far I find my system sounds best ever.

jadis boy

jadis boy

tanchiro58

« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2008, 03:00 pm »
I order from Nicholas elma switch for exchange in my TVC C-CORE from the STD taiwan gold switch .
nicholas he believe this is a really good upgrade
he can anyone this upgrade ??????
details please

There is a big improvement in my Apollo preamp since I replaced the Elma switches (dual mono) but it took a lot of times to modify them. However, it worth your time. Good luck.

jadis boy

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2008, 12:28 pm by jadis boy »

cchang

« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2008, 02:36 am »
Hi fellow,

A direct comparison between the Signature & a S&B mkIII is done.

Having use the S&B for 3 years, it was replaced by the Signature since the latter was arrived somewhat 3 months ago. So the comparison is rather a re-visit of the S&B.
It doesn't take long I come to the conclusion that I prefer the Signature. The Signature sound is simply closer to "real" than the S&B. This sense of realness is mainly contributed by the better ability, at a significant margin, of reproducing sound in an "organic" way, Esther/Kinderpiele (FIM K2 HD 078) for instance. Tonal color, more 'air'......sorry for my limited description.

Having said that The S&B deliver a tighter focus picture. It might due to its pseudo-balanced design........My power amp is set at 9db gain & accept rca input only! And thus my system is quite count on output voltage from the dac. My dac xlr output is 7.5v which is perfect match with the S&B.  S&B accept xlr & retains the 7.5v voltage at its rca output to power amp! The Signature is at true balanced configuration. It doesn't retain the voltage (cut it down 50% I believe) as the S&B does.

Anyway, now I found I'm not regret letting the S&B go.

cheers,

Chang

anubisgrau

« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2008, 07:20 pm »
thanks.

regarding what you call a pseudo balanced configuration, promitheus & S&B trafos are exactly the same in this aspect, regardless of the type of used connection (XLR or RCA).

so there's nothing related to XLRs that would contribute a "tighter focus" with S&B.

i agree that S&B is rather monochromatic and it's easy to be beaten for tonal colours. however my old ref 4 promi was way bellow S&B in practically every possible dept, despite my usual criticism of S&B.

the good news is that there are now clearly & dramatically better pseudo-passive preamps than any TVC, but you can read about them on other forums.

cchang

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2008, 02:21 pm »
Hi,

"......promitheus & S&B trafos are exactly the same in this aspect, regardless of the type of used connection (XLR or RCA)..." Are you sure? The S&B spec is well featured on the web but I don't think the Signature do the same.
What I learn from Nick the Signature is in true balanced config but not the Reference 4.

The S&B deliver same subjective loudness at it 1 o'clock setting as the Signature's 5 o'clock setting. (both TVC are wired balanced in > rca out).

anubisgrau

« Reply #33 on: 27 Oct 2008, 03:03 pm »
maybe i'm wrong but they should all be wired the same and convert single ended to balanced or vice versa.

subjective loudness is a matter of steps at the secondary

cchang

« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2008, 11:20 pm »
I should had expressed the difference between the Signature & the S&B loudness issue like this.

1. MSB Platinum DAC is used through out all the scenario, its output voltage is 7.5V xlr / 3.75v rca

2. With subjective loudness X

3. TVC volume settting

The S&B
rca in > rca out volume setting at 5 0'clock
xlr in > rca out volume setting at 1 0'clock

The Signature
either rca in or xlr in > rca out volume setting at 5 o'clock

disclaimer: The S&B is a factory built product, not a diy myself.

BTW, what Jadis Boy post here the picture doesn't look alike mine Signature. The Signature is in "double c-core" where the Reference is "c-core". The former size is even bigger. Should Nick clarify this? Otherwise Jadis Boy picture under this thread will easy mislead reader

jadis boy

« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:37 pm »

BTW, what Jadis Boy post here the picture doesn't look alike mine Signature. The Signature is in "double c-core" where the Reference is "c-core". The former size is even bigger. Should Nick clarify this? Otherwise Jadis Boy picture under this thread will easy mislead reader

now the thread is yours
sorry for my picture to put in your thread

cchang

« Reply #36 on: 30 Oct 2008, 12:54 am »
Hi Jadisboy,

Sorry but I didn't mean it. The picture itself is not harmful to anything. Just your words showing you'd mixed up "Reference c-core" & "Signature double c-core" and then your picture might possibility misread reader given I didn't post any picture directly.

Believe me or not, I just notice the icon of picture insert..............