Re: Tube Pre-amp recommendation

SHXMD

« on: 1 Jun 2023, 03:01 am »
Hello!

I am seeking expert input from a group well above my knowledge base.
I was informed decades ago and believe the best match was a tube pre-amp and SS amp.
I have reviewed the last three years of this circle and note this issue arises with some frequency but is dependent on the set-up.
Currently I have a new pair of Magnapan LRS+ and Bryston 2B-LP amp which is more than adequate for my neutral room. Inputs are CD and Optical Streaming. No phono. Music is all except no rap.

I am most interested in accuracy and “liveness.” Not interested in warmth for warmth’s sake.

Considering AVA, Primaluna, Rogue, Linear Tube, Schiit, and Don Sachs by review and recommendation.
Are there other brands which I should be considering?

Also, do these components and interests match particularly well with any particular Pre-amp? And why?

I know I should audition them but some are so rare one can only depend on experts to guide choices.

Thanks for the opportunity to solicit input-any is greatly appreciated!

S

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2023, 03:30 am »
I was informed decades ago and believe the best match was a tube pre-amp and SS amp.
This is an opinion.
Useful when one needs lots of watts (powerful SS amp) to drive low efficiency speakers.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2023, 03:34 am »
Hello, what's your budget?
Are you using a dac now?

SHXMD

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2023, 04:24 am »
Hello!

Yes, the Bryston is 100 watts into 4 ohms. High Damping factor.

Sorry, was looking around 3k. Can go higher.

Yes, there is a DAC.

System:

AT&T 320 optical modem/router->Cat 6 Ethernet->Ethernet Switch->Optical Moat(Sonore/Optical module deluxe)-> Streamer-IFi Zen Stream-> DAC-Bifrost 2/64-> to Pre-Amp->Bryston 2B-LP.
Cables—-non-critical Pangea//Critical Inakustik.

Tidal Connect Streamed Wi-Fi by Mac Mini M1 from external server.

(I fell in a few rabbit holes before I got here.)

Thanks again for your time and interest.

Escott1377

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2023, 09:48 am »
I purchased my current pre amp from Musical Paradise.  It replaced a much higher priced component.  It is a steal for the price.  I replaced the stock output capacitors with Mundorf Silver Supreme oil and I use a pair of industrial caps on the input / power side.  The unit can use almost an infinite number of tube variants.  There are 3 tubes required and can be mixed as either 6v or 12v (you cannot mix voltages).  The 1st pair is used as 1 per channel and the 3rd uses 1 side of the triode for each channel.  I have finally settled on a pair of the black glass Ken Rad VT 231 and a single Sylvania VT 231 in the 3rd position that I mentioned above.  I am currently using a new production Tung Sol as the rectifier. 

It sounds pretty darn good in my opinion.  Big soundstage and low end from the Ken Rads and a nice high end extension from the Sylvania.  You will need a tube adapter to use 6sn7 tubes and these can be purchased from Tube Depot.

It is not a very pretty component and the remote is flimsy and only good for volume control.

Once I add in the capacitors and tubes it is still below the 3k number that you mentioned.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2023, 10:47 am »
There's a few Conrad-Johnson ET-3s and 17LS' for well under your price cap on USAudiomart right now.

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2023, 02:17 pm »
Check out Mapletree Audio. His preamps are fantastic and by far the best value in audio (IMO).
Highly recommended!

jcn3

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2023, 07:05 pm »
check out preamps from quicksilver audio -- they're quite good, especially for the price.

https://quicksilveraudio.com/preamplifiers/

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2023, 10:33 pm »
Audio Note Kits L3 is what I’m using and highly recommend it. You can build it yourself or use one of their recommended builders.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2023, 02:14 am »
Hello
...I am most interested in accuracy and “liveness.” Not interested in warmth for warmth’s sake.

Considering AVA, Primaluna, Rogue, Linear Tube, Schiit, and Don Sachs by review and recommendation.
Are there other brands which I should be considering?...
From this list and consideration of naturalness and neutrality, the Linear Tube Audio Microzotl preamplifier or MZ3 would be an excellent choice. It is clean, dynamic and has drive combined with tube sweetness, but not tubey-ness.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2023, 02:28 am »
Someone knows how is the Decware CSP3 sound ?
OTL with the 6n1P/2p

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2023, 01:23 pm »
If you are not interested in warmth and want dynamics and more accuracy, consider BAT.  Huge dynamics, wide soundstage with detail and neutrality.  I own a BAT VK-51se.  ARC is another brand to consider.

SHXMD

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2023, 04:57 pm »
Hello!

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to  wade through my ramble and offer an excellent set of recommendations particularly off the beaten path which I prefer.

Particularly impressed with the description of tube rolling which is way over my head at this juncture.

Reviewing this has also allowed me to sharpen my focus. I think I am really seeking to add back the aliveness or live  quality of good recordings which are thinned by SS.

Again I greatly appreciate each and everyone’s time and input-very valuable.

Someone alluded to ARC above and I received a Rec from an internet dealer to consider the SP-11 and SP-15.
He felt that this might assist in my quest. Interestingly these are in my price range at around 3000.

Since this group is an expert jury- I thought I would inquire about thoughts and opinions on the SP-15.

Thanks again for all the input!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Re: Tube Pre-amp recommendation
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2023, 06:30 pm »
ARC is OK but tend to not be very 'tubey' sounding.  In fact, they are the most SS sounding tube gear I've heard.  Try a Cary preamp, or a BAT, or a Supratek.  Something that has better tubes than the 6DJ8's that the SP-15 has. 

I've heard a lot of tube gear and IMO the gear that use 6SN7 (or other octal) tubes sound better than the gear that uses the small peanut sized 9 pin tubes like the 6DJ8, 12au7, 12ax7, etc....

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2023, 07:18 pm »
You keep saying aliveness, and I like that attribute too. I used to think only tubes could do it but I couldnt tolerate tube life and I rarely found the sound I wanted from various tube stuff in my budget anyway, so I started doing some DIY SS projects then switched to all SS when I heard the sound I like more often in SS products and usually much cheaper than tubes.  10 years ago SS was not as good in the budget range, but now there is some really good stuff.
Not trying to make any SS waves in the tube circle, but because OP asked for all opinions and he mentioned “aliveness”  twice, and aliveness is why I switched to SS when I finally heard it in something I could afford, I felt compelled to mention that modern solid state preamps are worth considering also.
Stay away from opamps and make sure you hear it before you pay, or get a money back trial, but do try a true high end discreet class A modern SS preamp along with the tube preamps on your list. You might be surprised. My chinese solid state preamp costs $2300 brand new shipped and completely blows away the best tube preamps Ive heard including arc ref 1, ref 3, BAT 6H30, Cary. It doesnt do octal love, but nowadays I prefer cleaner uncolored sound. ymmv

Jon L

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2023, 07:54 pm »
One of the tragedies in audio is that tube preamps that can compete with passive/SS preamps in terms of transparency and resolution WHILE providing that beguiling tube magic tend to cost a LOT of money.  Last time I heard such tube preamps include things like Aesthetix Callisto Signature preamp and VAC Signature. $$$$

Unless I am willing to cough up that kind of money for a preamp, I prefer to just not use a preamp at all.  Well, I must admit I did add a Korg triode to my system, which is doing the work I wanted it to do..

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2023, 08:54 pm »
I have been quite pleased with the used AR LS26. I purchased at less than half price of what it was new.

Sound is better than my previous tube preamp. More inputs, balanced and se. Remote and more options.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2023, 11:48 pm »
One of the tragedies in audio is that tube preamps that can compete with passive/SS preamps in terms of transparency and resolution WHILE providing that beguiling tube magic tend to cost a LOT of money.  Last time I heard such tube preamps include things like Aesthetix Callisto Signature preamp and VAC Signature. $$$$

Unless I am willing to cough up that kind of money for a preamp, I prefer to just not use a preamp at all.  Well, I must admit I did add a Korg triode to my system, which is doing the work I wanted it to do..
Wonder if OTL pre-amps as Decware CSP3 could be this good?  :scratch:
The stranded wiring and the small power transformer can be changed.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2023, 02:29 am by FullRangeMan »

brooklyn

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2023, 12:35 am »
I have been using and like the solid state amp tube preamp combo for many years using different brands of gear.. My first taste was a Conrad Johnson PV2ar tube pre and a Sumo 9+ class A power amp with Magnepan MG2b speakers.. I was amazed..

Within the last few years I used a Primaluna EVO 100 tube preamp with a Bel Canto REF 500S amp and the Maggie .7 speakers.. That was a nice combo but in my experience with Primaluna gear over the years, the sound is not warm for tube gear.. The sound signature in my opinion leans toward solid state which left me disappointed.

These recent days, I decided to go with a Pathos Logos hybrid integrated amp.. for me, the best of both worlds in one unit.. tube pre with a solid state amp section.. I use that amp with Sonus Faber Sonetto ll bookshelf speakers and and pair of REL subs.. I couldn’t be happier.

SET Man

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2023, 01:03 am »
Audio Note Kits L3 is what I’m using and highly recommend it. You can build it yourself or use one of their recommended builders.

Hey!

I'll second that. If you can swing a soldering iron and don't need remote, this could be a great option.

By the way, don't know the input impedance of your Bryston amp but most tube preamp especially simple ones like amps with higher input impedance.