Question on the Hammond trannie.

pretzel_logic

« on: 9 Oct 2003, 10:08 pm »
2 trannies bad, 2 newbies.  I'm not sure why my trannie went, the other didn't have the fuse in the circuit.  

I had my Cornet on with no signal for several hours, I was planning on doing some listening, got sidetracked and left my amps and pre's on.  I have to shut my amps off before the preamps or I get a loud pop through my speakers.  

Could the fact my Cornet was on for several hours, probably 15, have caused my trannie to go.  I don't smell anything from it or anywhere else on the board.  The primaries are shorted, defect probably?  The rec tube I was using, Sovtek, has a rattle to it, shorted maybe and this caused the problem?

I should have my new one tomorrow along with a couple rec tubes as well as a few more caps to tidy things up a bit.

Any suggestions or answers will be greatly appreciated.  I loved the sound of the Cornet tremendously and though I only had about 15 hours on it I miss it very much.

Brian

Braden

« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2003, 10:27 pm »
I paid for air shipping to get mine in time for the long (thanksgiving) (canada) weekend!  I also had mine on for a good 15-20 hours before it went, for the last several hours it didn't have a signal going to it either. I forgot to put the cd on repeat. The cost of a new transformer isn't too bad compared to what I've invested in total, but I haven't listened to a record in week now, and all I've got to show for it is a paperweight. Vive la vinyl!!

Braden

pretzel_logic

Hmmmm,
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2003, 11:02 pm »
Maybe it was the time that the unit was powered up that did it, shouldn't be but it's possible.  I do have a phono stage in my preamp so I have at least been able to listen to my vinyl.  Doesn't sound nearly as good and there is a lot of noise from the phono stage in the PAS I have.  My next project is going to be a passive pre, don't know if it will work with my system but will give it a try.

Brian

hagtech

24/7
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2003, 06:31 am »
You can run the Cornet continuously.  I leave them on all the time.  With or without signal.  The chassis warms up to "nominal" in about an hour, after that it is set.

There is no need to power down except to save tube life.  The heater circuit is designed to be quite gentle on turn on so you don't overstress tubes (classic light bulb filament failure mode).  In that regard, I recommend turning the Cornet off between sessions.  If you're going to pay top dollar for some super NOS tubes, may as well get the most out of them.

jh :)

penance

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2003, 07:06 am »
ive had mine on permanently for over 2 weeks now, no signs of over heat, just good sounds :)
Sorry to hear about your probs lads, hope the new Tx's sort it for you :)