What is the MEGAschino Cherry ?

LarryD56

Re: What is the MEGAschino Cherry ?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Feb 2018, 01:20 am »
I'd heard that Jeff Rowland was all excited about his Class D amps when he came out with them, but went back to solid state.

Larry D.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #41 on: 13 Feb 2018, 02:19 am »
I'd heard that Jeff Rowland was all excited about his Class D amps when he came out with them, but went back to solid state.

Larry D.
Do you mean Class-A/B?  They are the perfect candidate for Maraschino Modules.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2020, 04:57 am by AmpDesigner333 »

LarryD56

« Reply #42 on: 13 Feb 2018, 02:44 am »
Yes, I believe he went back to Class A/B. A friend of mine has bought several of his amps including his Class D mono-blocks (he always buys mono-blocks) and used to sell his products, so he and Jeff communicate a good bit. He actually came up here last year to deliver a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers to the guy. I missed my chance at meeting him. Anyway, my friend stays in contact with many of the manufacturers which are still his friends.

Larry D.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #43 on: 13 Feb 2018, 04:27 am »
Yes, I believe he went back to Class A/B. A friend of mine has bought several of his amps including his Class D mono-blocks (he always buys mono-blocks) and used to sell his products, so he and Jeff communicate a good bit. He actually came up here last year to deliver a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers to the guy. I missed my chance at meeting him. Anyway, my friend stays in contact with many of the manufacturers which are still his friends.

Larry D.
Larry,

Let's talk about this offline. There's a mutually beneficial opportunity here.  Thanks again.

-Tommy

olesno

« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2018, 03:42 pm »
I don't post here too often but I thought maybe I should share some of my observations about the MEGAschino with you guys.  Last Saturday I had a pleasure to host Tommy and his friend Mike in my house with a single goal...., listen to my setup with the new stereo MEGAschino.  We figured that the best way to evaluate the amp is to drive it directly from my OPPO UDP-205 using it's digital volume control.  My speakers are the Tekton Double Impact which are the best speakers I ever had, considering I've been in this crazy audio hobby for well over 40 years.  I sold my Kef Blade 2, purchased the Tektons and never regretted that move.  We spent almost 6 hours listening to music through the MEGAschino and playing various CDs, SACDs and Blurays.  We also listened to music using Tidal / Roon via the UltraRendu and my current DAC, the Mytek Brooklyn +.  Whatever we played, it sounded just perfect to me.  Besides the point that I think the MEGAschino and the Tektons are a perfect match, if it wasn't for the MEGA I wouldn't hear what the music was supposed to sound like (in my opinion).  The sound of the instruments and vocal was very balanced from top to bottom, detailed but not analytical, smooth but very dynamic and absent of any brightness or edginess that scares off many potential buyers of digital amps.  The amps are very powerful and my speakers are 99dB efficient. Many use them with 15W amps.  This was not a problem for the MEGA.  Some of what we listened to was played at high volume levels and there was always the feeling of ease and no sign of strain whatsoever.  The imaging was unbelievable, especially when we listened to Roger Waters - Amused to Death (Master Sound CD).  I think Tommy has another winner on his hands and potentially many new customers.  Like I said, we spent almost six hours listening to music.  If it wasn't great, I wouldn't do it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:16 pm »
What amps do you normally use?

olesno

« Reply #46 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:32 pm »
I own the Golden Maraschino Cherries.  Great amps which I bought about year and half ago. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #47 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:53 pm »
Do you plan on replacing them with the MEGA?

olesno

« Reply #48 on: 17 Feb 2018, 12:19 am »
I like my Golden Cherries a lot.  I have to figure out my budget and make a decision based on that.  The MEGA is definitely worthy a very serious consideration by anyone who is looking for a spectacular amp at a price that is not crazy high.

mfsoa

« Reply #49 on: 17 Feb 2018, 12:40 am »
I spent a day with a Mega. It's better. Sorry  :icon_lol:. I'm in talks with Tommy to upgrade but need to wait just a bit.

mfsoa

« Reply #50 on: 17 Feb 2018, 12:41 am »
I will surely miss the placement flexibility of the Maraschinos.  My rig is all set up to not have an amp in the rack.

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #51 on: 17 Feb 2018, 02:01 am »
I like mfsoa on the upgrade path. I too need to wait just a bit. After listening to the Maraschinos on my Acoustat 1100s I was totally sold!! Problem was they craved more juice, hence their return for a Classic Cherry build. I believe the MEGA will be a monster having all the traits of the Maraschinos in a single sexy chassis plus all the power anyone could ask for. ( Audio mag reviewers are forewarned )

I understand a newer Maraschino is in the works, ridding the hospital power supplies for a toroid ,,, fantastic!! As I asked Tommy years ago, why not halve the Classic Cherry cases into two mono-blocs ... sexy sells! No added baggage for me!! I missed out last year but will not this upcoming Kickstarter offer. I await listening to the MEGA upgrade in my own system.

DW

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 17 Feb 2018, 04:37 am »
I spent a day with a Mega. It's better.

How so?

ottablue

« Reply #53 on: 17 Feb 2018, 06:26 am »
One of the reasons I got myself pair of In-Line Maraschino (ILM) 60v and 48V is for their size and ease of placement!!! I have never owned class D amps before due to lots of questionable reviews so I stuck out with A/B amps for a while. I took a chance and bought a pair In-Line Maraschino (ILM) 60v and 48V and so far I am very happy!!! Everything that people have mentioned on the forums holds true: transparent, quick and great punchy Bass. I use 48v for my rears Dynaudio contour SR speakers and they CAME ALIVE, considering sensitivity 86db!!! As for center channel, Martin Logan Focus ESL C18 (90db) I paired it with 60v In-Line Maraschino (ILM) and also have GREAT Results!! Now here is a rub and maybe someone could guide me when I paired Legacy Audio Aeris with In-Line Maraschino (ILM) 60V the speakers did not sound right at all!!! Is it possible the amps are not powerful enough?

richidoo

« Reply #54 on: 17 Feb 2018, 02:01 pm »
Legacy's need a good amount of break in. The ribbon tweeter especially changes a lot during breakin. You have to play them very loudly to achieve good break in. That's what they're meant for, so let it rip. And if they have never been played loudly, then they are not broken in, no matter how old they are. Seriously. You have to beat them.

mfsoa

« Reply #55 on: 17 Feb 2018, 04:22 pm »
How so?
Some of it is the corny "removal of stuff that I didn't realize was there". We compared to Golden Cherries on Tekton Double Impacts.

The bass on the Mega reminds me of the older Cherry amps - It has more of the stump-puller quality than you get with the Maraschinos. Bass was just as quick on the Mega but with added extension and clarity to the midbass at the same time.

The Mega was just so unperturbed. A Lab compared to the Spaniel of the Maraschino.

-Mike

Wind Chaser

« Reply #56 on: 17 Feb 2018, 04:30 pm »
So I take it isn’t a wholesale improvement across the board?

mfsoa

« Reply #57 on: 17 Feb 2018, 06:01 pm »
Hard to quantify what Wholesale means for each of us.

The three of us there thought that the system sounded better with the Mega. It doesn't change the fact that my Maraschinos are fabulous amps themselves. I think that a linear PSU upgrade for the Maraschino would get you some of the way toward a Mega.

BTW the Mega was a base model, stereo, with no upgrades.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #58 on: 17 Feb 2018, 06:47 pm »
Hard to quantify what Wholesale means for each of us.

I was thinking... "large scale" or "extensive".

Spec wise the MEGA's obviously measure better, but I don't need/want more power.

Oh, and I'm not of the opinion that a linear power supply sounds better than a SMPS. I've experimented with both approaches on a DAC and much preferred the SMPS.

Having said all that, I may consider the MEGA's down the road. Right now I am certain the Maraschino's are definitely not the weak link in my system. These wonderful little amps are vastly superior to any amp I've ever heard regardless of price.

ottablue

« Reply #59 on: 17 Feb 2018, 07:56 pm »
Legacy's need a good amount of break in. The ribbon tweeter especially changes a lot during breakin. You have to play them very loudly to achieve good break in. That's what they're meant for, so let it rip. And if they have never been played loudly, then they are not broken in, no matter how old they are. Seriously. You have to beat them.
Richidoo thank you for reply, thing is I have Luxman m900 amp and everything plays just fine so it could not be the break in issue but when I plug in line v60 the sound just falls through and trying to figure it out. I used short speaker cables supplied with the in line cherries will try to use my long speaker cables I got with the cherries see if that helps.