Re: Just saying hi => Omega questions => Super 7 XRS on the way! => Now Here!!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Did you adjust the sub x-o to compensate?

Lin

I did.  I think it is something more about tightness of image vs. filling the space more than it is about frequency.  I'll likely visit it again after a bit and see if I experience the same thing.  What is your experience with this variable - particularly given your screen name?  :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant

By the way, from the label on the speakers (see photo in earlier post), it looks like Louis is using the name RS7 for what we have been calling 7F.

The RS7 and the 7F are different drivers.

pstrisik

Oh!  Thanks Canada Rob.  I've been talking to Louis in terms of 7A/7F but the speakers came with the label indicating RS7.  What is the difference?  I'll email Louis for clarification about what I did get.

beowulf

Those are beautiful!!! :thumb:

jorgen

Yes I was wondering about that since the label on my speakers also says RS7 and mine are alnico drivers.
But it would be cool to learn more about difference though..

beowulf

Yes I was wondering about that since the label on my speakers also says RS7 and mine are alnico drivers.
But it would be cool to learn more about difference though..

Mine say RS7 too!

Louis O

Hi pstrisik,

Many thanks for the great posts and first the most important is the sound and very pleased you are enjoying the new speakers. It's great following the posts and lots of fun going through the drivers. They are similar, but they also have their own sound. The cabinets come out great and Zebrawood with the black bases are a great combo just like Jorgen's speakers. I have installed inserts on the bottom of the main cabinet so you can also have the bases off and still have the tilt.

Sorry about the driver confusion and here is how it ended up.

There is no more DIY drivers so the Model 7A and F and the model 5F are gone in name.

The RS7's are ferrite and the difference is the cone and the surround. Going forward I will call all the 7's RS7's. The alnico's are Model 7A's at the moment. I'm working on changing the cone and surround on them too. My mistake for labeling Jorgen's speakers RS7's, I apologize for that. I will gladly swap your speakers Jorgen when the RS7 A's are done.

Going forward I can have an option on drivers in the 7 Series. I think it will be quite fun and you can driver swap sort of like tube rolling.

When done the drivers are
RS7A for Alnico
RS7F for Ferrite
RS7V for whizzerless Ferrite like pstrisik and beowulf

The Whizzerless is really sweet sounding and vintage sounding. Smooth smooth smooth, not as much top end though. I tried with the Alnico and too rolled off as compared to the Ferrite.

Great to hear about the Dennis Had amp and another great choice out there which is important. They look fantastic too.

Thanks again,
Louis

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi Louis,
The RS7A Alnico wil be avaliable as raw driver for DIY??
I had PM you some months ago.

pstrisik

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the clarification.  So it sounds like I have (or will have when the names get settled) RS7V and RS7A.  So the tag is accurate in a more generic way - that is, I have two sets of RS7's in their respective variants.  Correct me if I got that wrong.

I was a bit neurotic about the  base when we talked.  It was hard to visualize the tilt and base from photos - the tilt is gentler looking at the bottom than I imagined.  But glad to have the option none the less.  I was neurotic about the grill size and placement too, but that turned out to be totally worth it!  Thank you for your patience!

........Peter

beowulf

Going forward I can have an option on drivers in the 7 Series. I think it will be quite fun and you can driver swap sort of like tube rolling.

RS7A for Alnico
RS7F for Ferrite

The Whizzerless is really sweet sounding and vintage sounding. Smooth smooth smooth, not as much top end though. I tried with the Alnico and too rolled off as compared to the Ferrite.

Hi Louis, thanks for the clarification on the drivers.  Am I right in thinking that no more DIY drivers, however we can still buy different drivers for Omega speakers that you have already built?  That's a great concept, since the cabinet's already steller, I wouldn't mind trying a set of RS7F and RS7A's.  Is there a price list for these  drivers anywhere?

Thanks!!!

Guy 13

Hi Louis.
What a great idea.
Speaker rolling, like tube rolling.
By the way, never got the answer to my question and the dimensions for my 7F,
but that's O.K. I am happy with what I have.
Keep up the good work.

Guy 13

pstrisik

Hey, I feel like I started this tube driver rolling thing.  But I'm sure there had to be someone before me.  I could have my 15 minutes of fame! 

Guy 13

Hey, I feel like I started this tube driver rolling thing.  But I'm sure there had to be someone before me.  I could have my 15 minutes of fame! 

Hi pstrisik.

Maybe you are not the first one, but you are on the way to be the most famous one
and will be remembered for centuries to come.
Keep posting, I love your stuff.

Guy 13

pstrisik

Hi pstrisik.

Maybe you are not the first one, but you are on the way to be the most famous one
and will be remembered for centuries to come.
Keep posting, I love your stuff.

Guy 13

When the time comes, I shall now die in peace, confident in my legacy.   

Dave Jameson

Hi pstrisik,

I see I'm a bit late in posting this but those speakers are gorgeous! And I'm officially jealous :) In my, admittedly excessive, arsenal of loudspeakers I have a pair of WLM Diva Monitor in that very same Zebrano finish (though I suspect your new speakers have the edge on the WLMs, in terms of tonal purity). There's just something about classic loudspeaker proportions wrapped in Zebrano.

Can't wait for more new stuff from Louis!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Sorry to rain on your parade gentlemen.  Louis and I had a conversation and he admitted he got little ahead of himself concerning the "speaker rolling".  Sorry Peter, just when you are on the verge of fame, to have it snatched away. :bawl: 

The Super 7XRS and Monitor will be offered with either ferrite whizzerless or ferrite whizzer at the same price, and a $300 upcharge per pair for alnico whizzer.  The choice must be made at the original purchase of the speakers.  The drivers are all OEM and not re-cycled DIY drivers.  Omega is not in the DIY business, and not likely to ever be. 

The focus right now are the Paramount line, Omega Store products, and the new website which will have the Omega Store on it. 

pstrisik

Sorry to rain on your parade gentlemen.  Louis and I had a conversation and he admitted he got little ahead of himself concerning the "speaker rolling".  Sorry Peter, just when you are on the verge of fame, to have it snatched away. :bawl: 

The Super 7XRS and Monitor will be offered with either ferrite whizzerless or ferrite whizzer at the same price, and a $300 upcharge per pair for alnico whizzer.  The choice must be made at the original purchase of the speakers.  The drivers are all OEM and not re-cycled DIY drivers.  Omega is not in the DIY business, and not likely to ever be. 

The focus right now are the Paramount line, Omega Store products, and the new website which will have the Omega Store on it.

Oh, dear.  Back to my life of existential angst!   

........Peter

beowulf

Ugh ... seriously?  I was really going to purchase a set of Alnico AND Ferrites with Whizzers to try them all out :cry:!  As I understand it, the drivers are pretty much plug and play correct?  Anyways, well I'll have to wait and see about the Paramounts and a Trade-in still may be in effect correct?  I think I'm wanting something with a little more top end to see how I like them.  And the driver rolling concept would have given me the best of both worlds as I really like the size, shape and veneers of my cabinets.

jorgen

Hi pstrisik,

Many thanks for the great posts and first the most important is the sound and very pleased you are enjoying the new speakers. It's great following the posts and lots of fun going through the drivers. They are similar, but they also have their own sound. The cabinets come out great and Zebrawood with the black bases are a great combo just like Jorgen's speakers. I have installed inserts on the bottom of the main cabinet so you can also have the bases off and still have the tilt.

Sorry about the driver confusion and here is how it ended up.

There is no more DIY drivers so the Model 7A and F and the model 5F are gone in name.

The RS7's are ferrite and the difference is the cone and the surround. Going forward I will call all the 7's RS7's. The alnico's are Model 7A's at the moment. I'm working on changing the cone and surround on them too. My mistake for labeling Jorgen's speakers RS7's, I apologize for that. I will gladly swap your speakers Jorgen when the RS7 A's are done.

RS7A for Alnico
RS7F for Ferrite

Great to hear about the Dennis Had amp and another great choice out there which is important. They look fantastic too.

Thanks again,
Louis

Hi Louis, Canada Rob and all
Wrote you an email Louis, but might as well post here aswell, no worries with the labeling, no need to apologize at all. I am a little curious on how the RS7A would be compared to the ones I got. I sort of enjoy having a set of speakers with the "Omega handprints" all over them, so it would be cool to have the most Omega "infected" drivers as well, it makes them even more special in my eyes. That said, the speakers i got now are very very nice in how they sound and I couldnt ask for more, but then, of course if Omega seriously thinks the RS7A is an upgrade, a swap or something would be a cool thing, very nice of you to come with that suggestion/offer. I hope we can talk this through in the email I sent

Another thing;  looking at yours Pstrisik i wonder what would happen if I gave my speaker a tilt? Anybody who would like to speculate? I guess it could be done, just for fun, just add something under the forward spike. Dont know if there is a building difference between mine and yours Pstrisik, except for size (how many liters are  yours exactly) and the tilt?

I guess and hope you atleast could be known as the driver rolling champ of Alaska...

pstrisik

Hi Louis, Canada Rob and all
Wrote you an email Louis, but might as well post here as well, no worries with the labeling, no need to apologize at all. I am a little curious on how the RS7A would be compared to the ones I got. I sort of enjoy having a set of speakers with the "Omega hand prints" all over them, so it would be cool to have the most Omega "infected" drivers as well, it makes them even more special in my eyes. That said, the speakers i got now are very very nice in how they sound and I couldn't ask for more, but then, of course if Omega seriously thinks the RS7A is an upgrade, a swap or something would be a cool thing, very nice of you to come with that suggestion/offer. I hope we can talk this through in the email I sent

Another thing;  looking at yours Pstrisik i wonder what would happen if I gave my speaker a tilt? Anybody who would like to speculate? I guess it could be done, just for fun, just add something under the forward spike. Don't know if there is a building difference between mine and yours Pstrisik, except for size (how many liters are  yours exactly) and the tilt?

I guess and hope you at least could be known as the driver rolling champ of Alaska...

Hi Jorgen,

Driver rolling champ of Alaska.......   Well, I'd have to find someone to compete with.  I might be in a field of one!

I don't know the volume of my cabinet.  It is 32 x 14 x 9 ½, so could be calculated if you can convert cubic inches to liters.  :o  You could compare measurements at least.  Edit:  Ok, I tried it.  4256 cubic inches = 69.7433 liters according to an online conversion calculator.  Does that sound right?

As far as tilt, how tall is yours?  I recall you said the baffle wasn't as wide, so maybe yours is taller?  That and seating position would determine best tilt angle.  Try first just by putting something under the front spike to test it out.  Actually, last night I put about 1/2" lift in the back of mine to reduce the tilt slightly as my seating position is low I think.  In any case, I am finding that these Omegas are very sensitive to positioning.  Fairly dramatic difference in smoothness and in imaging with changes in toe in, distance from front wall and tilt.

I am now also curious about the newer version of the RS7A as it seems we are in the same situation with the Super 7 XRS and same Alnico driver.

........Peter