BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

BrysTony

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #200 on: 28 May 2010, 03:43 am »
This has been a long and interesting thread.  I think I have learned what the BDP-1 is to do and am going to try to explain it as I understand it.  Please let me know what I am missing or have not understood.

Before I run down to the store to buy the first unit I need to do some preparation:
1. My music library must be contained on a USB Hard Drive which I will connect to the  BDP by USB cable.
2. I must have an in-home network with a network cable run to the BDP-1's location.  The network must have Wi Fi capability in order to access the BDP-1 and control it's attached music library by remote control.
3. For a remote control I will need an iphone, itouch, iPad, or laptop computer.
4. Must have a BDA-1 or other DAC.

So I run down and pick up the BDP-1 puppy and bring it home.  I connect the hard drive and network cable to it and run the digital output to the BDA-1.  I use the aforementioned remote control to connect to the BDP-1 by accessing its network address over the internet.  Hopefully, this process will be easy through an ap developed by Bryston and I will be able to see the music library index and initiate the play of selected albums/playlists from the remote - an iPad would be perfect for this task.  I then sit back and enjoy the sounds.  I can also use the BR2 remote to pause, forward, back, stop the playback.  The BDP-1's two line display will tell me what is being played which will be helpful when I am playing music from a thumbdrive and I can control that play with the BR2 and should also be able to control the thumbdrive play from the network if it is recognized.

Is this close??

Today, I am playing hi res (24/96) files using a laptop with Foobar interface, Bel Canto USB link 24/96 link and BDA-1.  It works great but I don't like using the laptop, the interface is poor and there is no remote control.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #201 on: 28 May 2010, 10:02 am »
Hi Tony,

All the above is correct except with the display and remote functions we are building in to the BDP-1 you ‘DO NOT’ have to be on the network to play your songs.  One of the issues I find frustrating with these network type products is all these hoops you have to navigate (find server, setup itouch etc.) before you get music.

So my idea is with using either the BR2 remote or the controls on the front panel of the BDP-1 digital payer you plug the BDP-1 into a power source … plug the Balanced or SPDIF output from the Bryston Digital Player into a an external DAC (preferably the BDA-1)… plug in your USB hard-drive(s) or thumb-drive(s) …  hit PLAY and you have music.  :thumb:

So you know at this point it all works  :D and you can do some simple navigation of the USB drive(s) using the 2 line display and front panel controls so you can open folders and choose songs to play.  Then you can invite your network savy 16 year old to help you get things running on your network when time permits.

James

PS - one thing I should point out is playing high-res files (96/24, 176/24 to 192/24) without issues (dropouts, hiccups etc) is not as simple as it sounds.  The CPU and the Soundcard are critical in extracting as much quality and performance as possible.

skunark

« Reply #202 on: 28 May 2010, 03:10 pm »
Definately make the display an option or the ability to turn off as I have no desire to use a two line display to fumble around looking for a song.

How will the web interface and iPod app work with a large external drive with thousands of artists on one external USB drive and another sixty artists on a 32gb USB thumb drive.   Will it integrate both into the database or do you have to select an input?   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #203 on: 28 May 2010, 03:16 pm »
Definately make the display an option or the ability to turn off as I have no desire to use a two line display to fumble around looking for a song.

How will the web interface and iPod app work with a large external drive with thousands of artists on one external USB drive and another sixty artists on a 32gb USB thumb drive.   Will it integrate both into the database or do you have to select an input?

Yes the display will be able to be turned on and off.

The whole point of the display is not to replace the normal data management system.  The purpose is to allow some local control and non network access as part of the BDP-1 package.  Maybe I am different but I usually load about 40-50 songs on my thumbdrive - hit play - turn out the lights and go through the playlist using previous or next on my remote depending on my mood. :D

james

BrysTony

« Reply #204 on: 28 May 2010, 03:25 pm »
James,
Thanks for your response to my post -- your input is appreciated.  I agree that use of the BR2 or front panel controls will work if you are dealing with a thumbdrive with 2 or 3 albums on it.  However, it will not be acceptable for a hard drive with 2 or 3 hundred albums -- thus, the user will find it necessary to deal with the network issues and it should not require a programmer.  I think that a simple and easy to use network interface will be crucial to acceptance of the BDA-1.  For example, I have an Apple iMac and I can point the little plastic remote that came with an iPod at it, push menu and up comes an excellent interface to itunes totally controlled by that little remote.  Of course, that comes with less than ideal sound quality because of the sound card and Apple imposed limitations on itunes sound quality.  I know that Bryston will come up with outstanding sound quality on the BDP-1 but it is also important to not take a step backward in providing a simple, easy-to-use user interface.
Best regards,
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #205 on: 28 May 2010, 03:29 pm »
James,
Thanks for your response to my post -- your input is appreciated.  I agree that use of the BR2 or front panel controls will work if you are dealing with a thumbdrive with 2 or 3 albums on it.  However, it will not be acceptable for a hard drive with 2 or 3 hundred albums -- thus, the user will find it necessary to deal with the network issues and it should not require a programmer.  I think that a simple and easy to use network interface will be crucial to acceptance of the BDA-1.  For example, I have an Apple iMac and I can point the little plastic remote that came with an iPod at it, push menu and up comes an excellent interface to itunes totally controlled by that little remote.  Of course, that comes with less than ideal sound quality because of the sound card and Apple imposed limitations on itunes sound quality.  I know that Bryston will come up with outstanding sound quality on the BDA-1 but it is also important to not take a step backward in providing a simple, easy-to-use user interface.
Best regards,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input.

I use the itouch now and it works great and also the Minion web browser music player and it works great.  Also there are more and more handheld and portable remotes coming on the market all the time.

james

Napalm

« Reply #206 on: 28 May 2010, 03:29 pm »

The whole point of the display is not to replace the normal data management system.  The purpose is to allow some local control and non network access as part of the BDP-1 package.  Maybe I am different but I usually load about 40-50 songs on my thumbdrive - hit play - turn out the lights and go through the playlist using previous or next on my remote depending on my mood. :D

james

:thumb:

Nap.

werd

« Reply #207 on: 28 May 2010, 03:36 pm »

james

Never thought of it like that.....  :scratch:. As it sits right now can you random or repeat with the flash?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #208 on: 28 May 2010, 03:38 pm »
Never thought of it like that.....  :scratch:. As it sits right now can you random or repeat with the flash?

Yes on the itouch you can use any of the controls available.  So you can assemble playlists you can jump forward or back in the playlist - you can look at any folder and its contents - or look at all folders and their content - repeat play etc.

james

Napalm

« Reply #209 on: 28 May 2010, 03:39 pm »

Well you can also see James demonstrating the product at CES.... and someone hands him the Beatles USB album.... he wouldn't want to be fumbling for 15 minutes with the web interface until he can make them tunes play, would he?

Insert  :icon_arrow: press Play  :icon_arrow: MUSIC!!!!

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #210 on: 28 May 2010, 03:42 pm »
Yes on the itouch you can use any of the controls available.  So you can assemble playlists you can jump forward or back in the playlist - you can look at any folder and its contents - or look at all folders and their content - repeat play etc.

james

Hi

Will this unit stream flac?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #211 on: 28 May 2010, 03:55 pm »
Hi

Will this unit stream flac?

No wireless streaming in the BDP-1

james

Napalm

« Reply #212 on: 30 May 2010, 03:43 am »
Its called slaving, where the dac controls the bdp1, there needs to be a return ic to the bdp1 to control the bdp clock. (which there isnt). An all in one box is doable but not with gadgets like a display and crap that causes noise and interferance.

:scratch:  :idea: How about a BDA-2 that provides a way to sync with the BDP? Throw in some goodies like selectable digital filters, add something to the price and here we go.

P.S. and a blue LED to indicate sync!!!  :icon_twisted:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #213 on: 2 Jun 2010, 05:09 pm »
I have been following this thread with much interest. As a satisfied owner of a Red Wine modded SB3, I know at some point its going to break or that a company is going to come up with a higher quality alternative to a file streamer. I use the term "file streamer" deliberately as I don't want a network streamer. I want a stand alone component(s) to use independently of a computer. A component that is dedicated to playing the highest quality bit perfect file extracted by EAC without the distraction of album art, alarm clock function, foot massager, or coffee brewer. If I want art, I'll hang a picture on the wall. At first I kind of rejected the concept of the BDP-1 as it dispensed with a built in, or external, display. How was one supposed to access the files for playing? As evidenced by the problems with the Squeezebox Touch, a built in display has its own problems. I would humbly offer the suggestion of an output such as S video, HMDI, or VGA so as to be able to use an external display. If the BDP-1 is to be the same footprint as the BDA-1, then even a 2 line display is going to be difficult to see from a realistic distance from the unit. An external display will relieve the BDP-1 from any RFI, EMI, and power supply contortions that might be necessary to support  an internal LCD or other type readout. It will also allow the user to place an inexpensive display wherever most convenient via any length of cable the user defines.
     I would also encourage Bryston to write a thorough tutorial for using EAC to encode files for use with the BCD-1 as well as the optimal tagging structure so the software on board does not choke on inadvertent mistakes. These are known problems with the Touch in "stand alone" mode.
      Finally, I'd like to commend Bryston for being open to accept the suggestions of its customers to perfect future component releases. This puts Bryston at the head of the class in high end audio companies. Bravo!

EDIT: I mistakenly wrote BCD-1 instead of BDP-1 making this post incomprehensible. Corrected. My OCD and ADHD interfered with my CRS(can't remember stuff).
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2010, 09:11 pm by konut »

StigO

« Reply #214 on: 2 Jun 2010, 08:44 pm »
Will the BDP-1 buffer before it sends it to the DAC?
Today I use a squeezebox (SB) connected to BDA-1 using digital cable. SB is connected to network using Ethernet cable but is downloading the music from a PC that is using wireless. Can BDA-1 do the same? Or do I need NAS connected to the BDA-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #215 on: 2 Jun 2010, 09:14 pm »
Will the BDP-1 buffer before it sends it to the DAC?
Today I use a squeezebox (SB) connected to BDA-1 using digital cable. SB is connected to network using Ethernet cable but is downloading the music from a PC that is using wireless. Can BDA-1 do the same? Or do I need NAS connected to the BDA-1?

Hi StigO,

The BDP-1 uses a USB thumbdrive or USB harddrive (3 USB connection points - 1 on the front 2 on the back) connected to it directly. We are also looking at a NAS drive capability in the future.

james

JEaton

« Reply #216 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:05 pm »
Do I understand correctly... there is no analog output?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #217 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:21 pm »
Do I understand correctly... there is no analog output?

Hi - correct - no analog output.

james

Napalm

« Reply #218 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:39 pm »
Hi - correct - no analog output.

This is temporary. Until James figures out it would sell much better if it had a DAC of its own.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #219 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:46 pm »
This is temporary. Until James figures out it would sell much better if it had a DAC of its own.

No chance - no room in the box.

james