great cheap pre amp

orientalexpress

great cheap pre amp
« on: 2 May 2011, 12:51 am »
The  Superphon SP-100 by stan warren  ,this could be had for 250 or less,if u don't need alot gain.can't find anything this cheap and sound good.:)

lapsan

ltr317

Re: great cheap pre amp
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2011, 03:38 am »
The Superphon Revelation II is even better, and can be bought for around $300-$350.  I had one with the space case for years.  I'm sorry I sold it. 

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2011, 05:40 pm »
I heard this pre is a bargain for the price, and it sounds nice. Is the company still around?

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2011, 04:19 pm »
Stan revived the company briefly to make superphon revelation iii, another no-gain buffered design, which was, according to Stan, far outpaced the previous designs. I have a custom model with the same circuit, and it's the only component I think I'll never get rid of.

After that, Stan sort of dropped off the radar, not doing Superphon or mods, as far as I can tell.

Sparky14

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2011, 06:16 pm »
The  Superphon SP-100 by stan warren  ,this could be had for 250 or less,if u don't need alot gain.can't find anything this cheap and sound good.:)

lapsan

Perhaps it is great.....however I do find it a bit odd that you trumpet it here, and meanwhile have it listed in the for sale section for $200.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2011, 08:55 pm »
The Superphon Revelation II is even better, and can be bought for around $300-$350.  I had one with the space case for years.  I'm sorry I sold it.

I guess I would pass on the SP-100 and would wait to find one of the improved Revelation IIs for sale.

Perhaps it is great.....however I do find it a bit odd that you trumpet it here, and meanwhile have it listed in the for sale section for $200.

Can you imagine if everyone who had an ad in the Trading Post started a new topic in another circle to hype that component?

Steve

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2011, 10:55 pm »
good spy spark!

orientalexpress

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2011, 12:17 am »
i tell what sparky,i do you a favor.i will remove it just for you. :thumb:,i rather keep it.

Lapsan

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2011, 01:52 am »
I was going to sleep on this before making a comment, but as events seem to have outrun me, Lapsan, would you mind taking this opportunity to explain why you posted a thread about a component you then put up for sale?  I'd like to hear your side of the story before making any judgements about this thread.  Perhaps there's a perfectly reasonable explanation. 

orientalexpress

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2011, 03:09 am »
i bought this pre amp becuase of the price i couldn't pass up since i have a powerful DAC amp and I alway wanted to try passive preamp with low gain .i figure this pre is perfect for my system and i love it compare to Modwright swl 9.0 Se ,It's actually have more bass then my modwright But No Remote .I was going to sell Modwright or Superphon.i decided to keep my Modwright becuase of The Remote .Is no big deal ,i keep it as my backup. :thumb:

Lapsan

I was going to sleep on this before making a comment, but as events seem to have outrun me, Lapsan, would you mind taking this opportunity to explain why you posted a thread about a component you then put up for sale?  I'd like to hear your side of the story before making any judgements about this thread.  Perhaps there's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Maggi-man

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2011, 02:36 am »
Hi to aLL.
      Been a member for some time but never posted.
      I just ordered the Axiom passive preamp from Luminous  Audio for $203.00 shipped.It is the sig version with Caddock Res.that includes a 3 day burn-in.Worth checking out www.luminousaudio.com.
       Let me know if any one has any feedback on this unit.Thanks
                                                                              Regards,
                                                                                 Maggi-man

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2011, 12:31 pm »
This is a "cheat" but try stepped attenuators (directly into the back of your amp).  Inconvenient location and limited to a single source, but pure and inexpensive.

Google Scott Endler for cheap/cheerful stepped attenuators, cabling, etc.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2011, 03:26 pm »
Be careful about bypassing pre-amps. It filters out distortions and other garbage into the amps. I ruined an amp before that way.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2011, 01:41 pm »
  Interesting Passive. Simple good parts and priced right. I have used passives with zero issues for quite some time. The fact the the Luminous is matched to one CDP output voltage and the amps input sensitivity and input impedance is a big plus.
    The transformer based passives Like Slageformers and Bent in essence to the same but for a lot more money. However those Slageformers are no slouch and quite good.
    Do not be afraid of using a passive. Unless it is miss wired from the factory there should be no issues.

charles

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2011, 07:13 pm »
I also use a passive with zero issues.  It's pure and sweet.  I built it using a Goldpoint/Elma 20K stepped attenuator.  Even with no buffer, it works great.

Just wondering how the B1 buffered passive would compare to the Superphon?