Need an inexpensive USB DAC to drive a gainclone--quick

Gopher

My younger brother's birthday is tomorrow and I need to pick up an inexpensive USB DAC, preferably with a volume control to use as a DAC and pre to a Tim Rawson built gainclone which is driving a pair of single driver speakers (6moons audio Zigamorettes).

His laptop is his only source and he's just using an RCA to Mini out straight to his GC presently. 

I was thinking of picking up the little Jolida dac, though it doesn't have a volume control.

Any suggestions?  Maybe that Maverick?  I'll be loaning him a very nice USB cable to use with it.

Gopher

Re: Need an inexpensive USB DAC to drive a gainclone--quick
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:34 pm »
If a DAC is asynchroneous, can it be controlled via the PC's volume control?  The HRT II streamer at $145 is looking like a solid option.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:51 pm »
How about the Centrance DacPort? Not async but measures well and well-reviewed. Might be pricier than you are looking for though.

Maverick is another one that is well received for sure

HRT Streamer is great stuff, but I forget if digital volume control is an option. And digital volume control can be problematic according to most reports.

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:57 pm »
I'm building a bedroom system around a Centrance DACport:

1. Centrance pioneered adaptive USB (greatly reduces jitter--not asynchronous, but Centrnace licenses their USB implementation to Benchmark and Bel Canto).
2. The DACport has a volume control, and the built-in amp runs in Class A.
3. Centrance explicitly states that you can turn the volume up all the way and use the DACport as a DAC to feed an preamp.
4. Reviews are very favorable.
5. Supports 24/96 from computer (no drivers to install)
6. Powered from the USB port

http://www.centrance.com/products/dacport/

You'll want a 1/4" to RCA cable as well:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/MSA1.htm

It sounds great as a headphone DAC/amp. I haven't gotten the bedroom system set up yet.

Gopher

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:02 pm »
Interesting option, but unless they're readily available used, Ilike to keep it under $200.

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:11 pm »
I'd check the headphone sites for recs at this price point. For example, this tube DAC at $200:

http://www.headfonia.com/uber-muzik-tiny-tube-dac/

It looks to have RCA outs, but not clear if volume control attenuates RCA output.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:34 pm »
And a solid state option:

http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/

Again, I'd check about volume control on the RCA outs. But if need be, on either you could use a 1/4" or 1/8" plug to RCA adaptor to get volume control that is outside the digital domain.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2011, 09:25 pm »
Maverick D1 or Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09- I have GF Tube DAC and use as a pre-amp with my Virtue TWO.2 thats been turned into a str8 up amp and it works great. They are right around $200ish new so used I'm sure you'd find them cheaper....How fast do you need it in hands?? Tomorrow also??

Gopher

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:17 am »
Thanks Roscoe, I'm gonna look into those two models a bit more now.

Ed, the Grant was what I was going to pick up based on your endorsements, but doing a little further digging I see the volume pot is disabled and now only handles the headphone jack.

The Maverick is an option and a good way to get some tubes in  his system.   Never heard it myself, but it seemed inoffensive enough on the tour.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:21 am »
Fred, The volume pot can be jumpered back in I believe as they have shipped it both ways a couple of times but the Maverick already has that option I think so its plug and play away.
 Good luck with whichever..
 :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:34 am »
Placed an order for an Audio GD NFB-12 for my bro.  It sounded like it would be a better match then the Sabre32 NFB-11 with his gainclone and seems well praised on head-fi.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm »
I have the NFB-12 and you'll be surprised at how good it is.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:02 pm »
Now I want one...the NFB-12 though can really only be a pre-amp for the digital sources correct?? The way I use my DAC/Pre is I have everything go into it-the tube buffer comes into play here-then the tube output goes to my amp and the DAC/Pre controls the volume for all. So its a selector, tube buffer, DAC, and pre-amp.
 The NFB-12 only controls the volume on the digital inputs used right? No tubes or am I missing something. I have a new integrated coming with two inputs and the NFB-12 might be nice for me to use for my squeezebox via COAX and my laptop via USB into one input and the other input for my Piano M1 directly....Poultrygeist-did it take a long time for them to ship to you??
 TY

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:18 pm »
Isn't there a bit of a wait for the NFB-12? Just wondering as the title says "quick" and last I was told mine was a month away.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:39 pm »
 HRT Music Streamer.

charles

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:51 pm »
Thats what I thought....

Gopher

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2011, 12:45 am »
Ed,  I believe you are correct.  I don't think it can accept analog sources.  Not a problem for my brother who has a DVD player and a laptop.

Yep, there is a wait on it.  I spoiled the surprise and told him what it is and I'm just having it shipped to me in NY, as his semester will be over and he'll be back home from the midwest before it would arrive.  He won't get to use it for a while until law school starts back up, but maybe he can drive some headphones or something.  Hell, maybe I'll take it for a spin.

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2011, 12:48 am »
maybe?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:19 pm »
The high quality NFB-12 volume control works for optical, coax, USB and with high and low gain settings options. As a preamp it sounds very good with these digital inputs. The outputs are fixed and varible. As a HP amp it drives the Grados nicely.

The NFB-12 works well with my MiniWatt as a preamp switching between digital sources and offering some nice gain.

The build quality and cosmetics are excellent and it looks far more expensive than you would expect at this price. It's heavy enough that you can add your own power cord without it pulling off the shelf. At 9 X 6.5 X 2 it's larger than I expected.

The only negative so far is that it comes without feet. You'll have to add some stick ons.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:08 pm »
OK then an E-MU 0204 USB DAC at $130 is a sleeper. A preamp section as well oh my.

charles