PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
Re: PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:56 pm »

You have to take comments in context.  That was posted by BrassEar, not GoldEar, SilverEar or CopperEar!

Steve
Haha, good one  :icon_lol:

BrassEar

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2011, 06:36 pm »
A bit over the top. This is great value but it's not high end or as good as a $5,000 CD player. Can't comment on the Benchmark DAC. So, yes, it's well worth getting for the price.

Not over the top at all. This dock IS high end despite your opinion. Go back and play with your power supplies and the open-loop imaginary differences that you fantasize about.  I bet you wouldn't be caught dead trying to prove your opinions via blind testing.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2011, 06:54 pm »
Not over the top at all. This dock IS high end despite your opinion. Go back and play with your power supplies and the open-loop imaginary differences that you fantasize about.  I bet you wouldn't be caught dead trying to prove your opinions via blind testing.
Why so defensive - I'm just trying to bring some realism to your comments & not mislead readers. As to the rest  :nono:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2011, 03:54 am »
Gentlemen, please.  There's no reason to make personal attacks because someone disagrees with your opinion.  And no reason to bait someone into making untoward comments.  Penalty flag thrown on both sides, no more rough stuff.

Letitroll98,
Facilitator

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:51 am »
Apologies to Brassear - no baiting was intended

Andre2

« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2011, 02:36 am »
I bought one, should arrive in a week.  Can't beat what effectively can make your iphone/ipod act as a music server for $100.   

Andre2

« Reply #26 on: 1 Nov 2011, 06:54 pm »
pure i-20 was shipped, I should receive this friday.  when I ordered last Friday, Amazon had 6 in stock, when I checked on Sunday there were non left.  This gadget is selling fast, i guess.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #27 on: 27 Nov 2011, 07:09 pm »
Does anyone know of a reseller in Canada? From what I can find, they have zero distribution here.

cody69

« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2011, 01:57 am »
Andre, dont' leave us in suspense... can you report back and let us know how it sounds?

mboxler

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:39 pm »
I'll jump in!  I bought one to replace a Kingston IPod dock I had bought for my wife.  My Adcom preamp has rca only inputs, so the internal DAC is being used.  It sounds great (tried to take it back to connect to MY system...she wouldn't let go).  I asked Santa for a Schiit Bifrost for Xmas.  I'll know then how the i-20's internal DAC compares to an external DAC.

Mike

coke

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:09 pm »
I've been looking for something like this. My dad needs a simple way to access all the Lossless music on his 160 GB and send it to his EE DAC. Looks like this will do the trick. 

:thumb:

chrisby

« Reply #31 on: 5 Dec 2011, 06:06 pm »
based on this chatter, I ordered one of these online direct from Pure's website last Thursday morning , it was shipped from distribution warehouse in Tn that night, and arrived in Victoria BC Friday afternoon, at the outrageous shipping expense of $22.

The landed cost was $136.20 CDN  - gotta be one of the stupidest good audio bargains around at the moment.

Had a chance to listen to it over the weekend - all Apple Lossless files on my new Classic. Due to connectivity issues with two different systems, I was forced to use the internal DAC.  I'll probably get around to trying the Toslink or coax output on other systems over the next day or so.

While $5000 or more of high-end gear will leave it stuck in the starting blocks,  for $100, this thing is no joke.   

However, once you're used to the user interface of standard iPods (dial) or touch screen on iPhone, etc,  the little remote does leave a lot to be desired - "logical" enough, but painfully slow.  c-est la vie

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #32 on: 5 Dec 2011, 06:27 pm »
Can you have a look at the wall wart and report back the power output ... voltage I believe is 7.5 DC (correct me if that's wrong) but what is the current rating?

chrisby

« Reply #33 on: 5 Dec 2011, 09:51 pm »
I'm not able to look at it presently, but  can definitely remember that yes it's 7.5VDC - current rating no so sure.

You thinking about fabricating a small linear supply?  It probably wouldn't take much to surpass the wall-wart,  but then part of the appeal of this type of little gadget is not only the tiny price,  but the overall diminutive size.

brj

« Reply #34 on: 5 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm »
In addition to the amp rating asked above, what size DC plug does the power supply use?

Thanks!

chrisby

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2011, 01:20 am »
7.5 V @ 1.2A - 3.5mm plug

coke

« Reply #36 on: 9 Dec 2011, 04:51 pm »
I installed one of these on my dads system this week which consists of Eastern Electric Minimax DAC, AVA Insight Preamp, AVA Insight 260 Amp, and Salk Songtowers with the ribbon tweeter upgrade.

I'm very impressed with this for the money and it's exactly what my dad needed.  It does what it's supposed to do, and sends a clean digital signal to the DAC. 

I do not like the remote.  Our 160GB ipods are full, and it takes a LONG time to go through all that music with the remote.

For some reason I couldn't get either of the video outputs to work. I tried both and on different TVs.

The remote and video out issues are not issues for us though.  I ran a cable so that the dock is next to my dads listening position.  This elminates the need for the remote and video out. 

I haven't had a chance to compare yet, but I think this dock is a major improvment over my squeezebox touch.  To listen to music with my squeezebox, it has to go from an external hard drive to my computer, over eathernet to a router, from the router to a switch, from the switch to another switch in my room, from the switch to the squeezebox, and then to my DAC.  With the pure i-20 all that's required is the ipod and dock. This also elimates all the other networking issues.  I plan to do back to back comparisions this weekend.

I have more music than a 160GB ipod can hold, but if this dock sounds signficantly better than the squeezebox, I'll buy another ipod to store my music on. One ipod would have artists A-k for example, and the other would have l-z.

srb

« Reply #37 on: 9 Dec 2011, 05:01 pm »
For some reason I couldn't get either of the video outputs to work. I tried both and on different TVs.

The remote and video out issues are not issues for us though.  I ran a cable so that the dock is next to my dads listening position.  This elminates the need for the remote and video out. 

I wasn't sure, but from your post, it sounded that perhaps you were expecting an on-screen TV iPod menu like the Apple TV (or some other docks that do overlay iPod control menus on the video output) provides.  If that is the case, the video out on the i-20 is only for outputting stored iPod video files.

Steve

coke

« Reply #38 on: 9 Dec 2011, 05:50 pm »

I wasn't sure, but from your post, it sounded that perhaps you were expecting an on-screen TV iPod menu like the Apple TV (or some other docks that do overlay iPod control menus on the video output) provides.  If that is the case, the video out on the i-20 is only for outputting stored iPod video files.

Steve

Yes, I was expecting it to output whatever was displayed on the ipod.  Thanks for clearing that up.

ajzepp

« Reply #39 on: 9 Dec 2011, 07:10 pm »
I just ordered one of these to play around with. It will be a nice simple desk system to pair with my Audioengine 2s...and will serve as a backup source for my main rig. I'm curious to see how well my lossless tracks sound through this sort of a dock...have never used one before. Thanks to the OP for sharing this info!  :thumb: