PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?

BrassEar

PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?
« on: 14 Apr 2011, 09:48 pm »
Digital out iPod dock for $99.

I can't believe I missed this. Has anyone tried it?

http://store.pure.com/store/pure/en_US/pd/productID.221628800?resid=TaYndwoBAlcAAFz6Hs4AAAAc&rests=1302817611651

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:04 am »
It comes with a Cirrus 4353 DAC...interesting.

hotmailjbc

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:26 am »
i have been using this pure i-20 for a month and it is great. i held off from getting the wadia for 2 years because of price. i use it with a music fidelity vdac but would be very satisfied with the internal dac. my only complaint is the remote. i would have paid more for a better one but they are trying to hit a price point obviously. it works fine with my 80 g and 160 g ipods but does not work with the 30g. i will be getting another one for my second system. they offer money back if not happy btw

BrassEar

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2011, 06:17 pm »
hotmailjbc - thanks for your comments.

Is there a major sonic difference between the iPod internal DAC and the PURE internal DAC?

I tried the ONKYO iPod digital dock + external DAC and what surprised me was how decent the internal iPod DAC sounded in comparison.

TIA

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2011, 12:09 am »
Thanks hotmailjnc, it seems interesting. Do you have pictures of it? just curious.  :wink:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2011, 01:19 am »
Very interesting at that price. What does the remote control exactly?

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2011, 08:46 pm »
I have one of these units and find it to be exceptional. For the price it is built like a small tank. The internal dac upsamples to 24/192 kHz and sounds amazingly good. I have compared it to a few decent dacs (MF VDAC, some NOS dacs) and this unit holds its own. If you are using lossless files on your ipod, you owe it to yourself to try this. It kills both the Wadia and Onkyo ipod digital out docks.

chgolatin2

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:06 pm »
Wow, interesting.  I've been looking at a DAC for my ipod for a while now  :scratch: currently have a PeachTree Audio  :wink: but I want something like this to play music in my garage or workout room without the hassle of taking my peachtree audio everywhere around my house  :roll:

How does it sound???  Thanks!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2011, 09:22 pm »
Has anyone noticed that when they use their i20 with an iPod Classic vs. iPhone via the digital outputs, there is digital attenuation with the iPhone?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2011, 09:18 pm »
It sounds pretty good - even better when you use a linear supply instead of the SMPS - less of a digital edge to the sound. Very good value for money

BrassEar

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2011, 12:20 am »
Finally bought one of these and I am blown away with how good it is. No reason for the wadia or onkyo docks now. I am also surprised just how good the internal dac is. I am not even lusting after a new dac right now.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2011, 01:58 pm »
It sounds pretty good - even better when you use a linear supply instead of the SMPS - less of a digital edge to the sound. Very good value for money

What does it require for power?

chgolatin2

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:38 am »
I just recently ordered this little gadget today, I will post a follow up review  :thumb: for $99.99 please you dont need a brain to figure out a a bargain!   :thumb:

chgolatin2

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:43 pm »
Got it today, I will post a follow up review~  :wink:

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm »
What does it require for power?
The SMPS supplied with it outputs 7.5V DC. I used a linear supply - one of those adjustable PS (probably not the best) which also had a 7.5V setting. I looked inside to see what regulators it uses. The raw voltage is filtered & reduced to 5V which then feeds some regulators. So I would imagine a 9V external PS will be fine.

chgolatin2

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2011, 12:35 am »
Wow, let me state that I am highly impressed with Ipod Dock for just $116 TOTAL!!!  This gem qualifies for a rock bottom simple gadget needed to improve your mp3 files.  I'm simply amazed!  Just curious as to why this lil unit cost just $99.99 :scratch: it comes from United Kingdom but made in China  :( but the overall quality really shines.  I paired with the a Harmon Kardon 3390, DH Labs Silver Sonic Interconnects and my VR2 speakers and let me say that I was very impressed.  This is better than the Wadia 170i WAYYYYY BETTER!  I would even say that it pairs with my Peachtree Audio IDecco in sound quality   :thumb: far better cheaper too but I still wouldnt trade my IDecoo for anything!  :nono:  Shoot, I'm still jamming to this little gem I dont listening to all kinds of music and I just can't stop listening to it.   So far I am very, very happy!  and I AM NOT A SO CALLED "AUDIOPHILE!"  :roll:

So, gentlemans!  Get this Ipod Dock!  ASAP you wont regret it...

BrassEar

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:44 pm »
Wow, let me state that I am highly impressed with Ipod Dock for just $116 TOTAL!!! 
This is better than the Wadia 170i WAYYYYY BETTER!   So far I am very, very happy!  and I AM NOT A SO CALLED "AUDIOPHILE!"  :roll:
So, gentlemans!  Get this Ipod Dock!  ASAP you wont regret it...

Yep, this thing is the audiophile bargain of the decade. It sounds mindblowing with lossless files and a high end dac (using the Benchmark right now) but even more amazing is how good the internal dac is. I would say it is about 95% of the quality of the Benchmark. Still shaking my head over this thing. Sounds like a >$5000 CD player. True high end sound for a few bucks.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm »
Yep, this thing is the audiophile bargain of the decade. It sounds mindblowing with lossless files and a high end dac (using the Benchmark right now) but even more amazing is how good the internal dac is. I would say it is about 95% of the quality of the Benchmark. Still shaking my head over this thing. Sounds like a >$5000 CD player. True high end sound for a few bucks.
A bit over the top. This is great value but it's not high end or as good as a $5,000 CD player. Can't comment on the Benchmark DAC. So, yes, it's well worth getting for the price.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm »
A bit over the top. This is great value but it's not high end or as good as a $5,000 CD player.

You have to take comments in context.  That was posted by BrassEar, not GoldEar, SilverEar or CopperEar!

Steve