Denon 2900 Modified cdp Dilemna

bluemike

Denon 2900 Modified cdp Dilemna
« on: 27 Mar 2011, 07:25 pm »
Hi Guys
I have a modified John Tucker Exemplar 2900 with siltech wiring
When I insert a cd the display reads 00h00m00s is this the laser that has stopped working ?

Does it make sense to have this fixed or is the cdp problematic going forward ?

From a cost perspective does it make more sense to go with something like an oppo 93 instead of reparing the unit
Any ideas what the cost is to fix something like this ?

Replies appreciated

mgalusha

Re: Denon 2900 Modified cdp Dilemna
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:36 am »
I'd guess it's the laser going bad. I have a PCX modded one of these that been trouble free but I haven't used it much in some years. Friend of mine has the John Tucker version like yours, it sounds better than the PCX mods but both are, IMO, getting a little long in the tooth. I have not heard the new Oppo but I would not be surprised if it's a step up from the old Denon's.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:34 pm »
I've never re-aligned the laser in one. A Google search shows at least an oscilloscope and I would suspect a service manual is needed. I might have a SM for the Denon 2900, email me if you decide to try this and I'll see if I can dig up the files.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2011, 12:40 am »
Lets hope its not the Laser Mechanism...it is very expensive to fix it.

bluemike

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2011, 12:09 am »
Anyone know what part is the mac on the Denon 2900
My repair guy says this part is no longer available from Denon
Any ideas ??

lo_tse

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2011, 12:30 am »
Bluemike,

Pardon my ignorance, what is the mac dvd?  Have you contacted directly the Denon factory repair shop (at Applecreek, Markham) about the part  ?

By the way, did you have a chance to contact Mark and Tony about a Spring meet for the TAAS (or what's the remain of it)?

Lo-tse

bluemike

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2011, 12:45 am »
I have no idea what is a mac dvd I need to find out from my repair guy  :scratch:

I haven't contacted the boys yet, it's hard to get a hold of them !

I will try to contact Marc this weekend and let you know

Pm me offline and we can setup a listening session if all else fails

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:41 am »
It is not something related to the firmware?  :scratch:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2011, 04:14 am »
Bummer.  This is the downside to investing a lot in a disc player.  Once the laser or transport logic circuit goes, it's toast.  I had the same exact problem with an older Lexicon universal player.  I paid $100 for a new laser assembly, put it in and it still didn't work.  I had to grieve the loss and move on...

bluemike

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2011, 05:14 pm »
It is not something related to the firmware?  :scratch:
Apparently it needs a new laser something Denon no longer makes
I can check for one on ebay but i'm a bit leery getting one from abroad  :nono:

unless someone has had first hand experience with any one of the ebay sellers that sell replacement laser pickups I might be willing to take the chance
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2011, 10:38 pm by bluemike »

lo_tse

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2011, 10:38 pm »
Bluemike,

Sorry to hear that.  You might want to ask around to find out whether one can use a Philips drive e.g. CDM12 as a replacement.  Although a lot of people do not like the Philips drives (even the CD PRO2), one can always find parts if these drives died, even the old CDM 4. 

I will be uncomfortable using old laser heads.  They only have certain hours of life time.  But if you can get an old player real cheap from which you can extract the part you need, there is no harm in trying.  I was told that the operation of replacing the transport mechanism (including the laser head) is fairly  straightforward and hopefully the labour cost would not be too high.

By the way, if you are going to organise a small "listening get together" please let me know.  Thanks!

Lo-tse

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2011, 12:35 am »
Im sorry about your player Mike. I don't know you, but i think the best option is to buy another one...the repair costs on the one you have may be high.

bluemike

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2011, 01:30 am »
good news i was able to source a optical laser head for the Denon 2900 for a good price and will try to install it myself
I've read that it's a drop in part and does not require any alignment
Anybody familar with replacing a laser head on a Denon 2900 ?