Free electronics from the neighbor.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Free electronics from the neighbor.
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2011, 07:41 pm »
My first "rig" was a 20 year old AM radio (that must of had tubes).  In a couple of years I added a portable cassette deck.  About three years later I blasted ahead with a funky Panasonic AM/FM/cassette (long, tall unit with single driver speakers in form following masonite cabinets).   By the time I graduated from high school I'd upgraded the speakers to a pair of JBLs.  All that while working hard on the farm and living in a room that barely had heat.

In college we really went from mid-fi to legitimate hi-fi and a 12 black and white TV that we could play pong on.   :thumb:

Finally got my own TV at age 40 (after a divorce).   :duh:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2011, 07:51 pm »
It might be a nice thought if your boy went over to your neighbors and thanked them Bob. I would be feeling mighty obliging if I were him.  8)  A TV in my bedroom? Yeah right  :lol: , a transister radio's more like it til I was a high school junior and bought myself a 5" portable reel to reel with money from my job at the local mom/pop store. My thing was to go around to all my friends who had "giving" parents and record their Beatles albums. I had quite a collection of tunes that I toted around with that stereo reel to reel "back in the day".  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:02 pm »
It might be a nice thought if your boy went over to your neighbors and thanked them Bob. I would be feeling mighty obliging if I were him.
Yes. I've been thinking the same thing. Just not sure how I want to pimp him out. Maybe he should paint their house.  :thumb:

When I was 12, I think my source of "fi" was one of those record players that had build-in multi colored lights behind a "crystal" light diffusion panel that would pulse with the music.  :oops:
I'd hold the microphone of my cassette player up to the speakers to make compilation tapes.  :lol:

Bob

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2011, 12:24 am »
That looks like a serious distraction for a 12 year old, one that could affect his GPA...  :rules:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 28 Mar 2011, 12:26 am »
Bob, that's how I made my compilation cassettes.  :roll:

A 12 year old painting my house??   :nono:  How about mowing their lawn "xx" number of times?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 28 Mar 2011, 12:36 am »
Bob- Tell your son when he comes up for air the old guy in Allentown said "Bring it"!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2011, 12:40 am »
Mr. Chaser, His GPA is just about as high as it can get. In fact, he's not only in an accelerated program, he's been invited (twice) to spend the summer in Australia, and once in London as a student ambassador. All based on his grades.

JLM, Yea they've got a two story with a steep yard on one side essentially making it three stories high. He's smart, but lacks common sense. Maybe ladders shouldn't be in his future.  :lol:
Glad to know I wasn't the only one "bootlegging" in that manner.  :duh: :lol:

Ed, I'll tell him you called him a punk.  8)

Bob

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2011, 12:52 am »
Mr. Chaser, His GPA is just about as high as it can get. In fact, he's not only in an accelerated program, he's been invited (twice) to spend the summer in Australia, and once in London as a student ambassador. All based on his grades.

Great!  You ought to give him the keys to your room - he's earned it and then some!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2011, 01:19 am »
Oh yea. He's got free reign of my room, tube amps and all.  :lol:

Bob