Has Anyone Bought & Used One of These?

bside123

Has Anyone Bought & Used One of These?
« on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:55 am »
Here's something I found on eBay. Has anyone actually bought and use one of these? Results?

Medical Grade Isolation Transformer 100-132v in 100va 4
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=220481431189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_928

Mariusz

Re: Has Anyone Bought & Used One of These?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:29 am »
Is this transformer going to cure my audioholic addiction?  :lol:

(general audio might generate more responses.......if any)

Cheers
Mariusz :wink:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:43 am »
I bought a pair for my DAC and transport but haven't gotten around to adapting the plugs to fit my gear.

bside123

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm »
I bought a pair for my DAC and transport but haven't gotten around to adapting the plugs to fit my gear.

I was wondering about that... What type of adaptation is required? The pics and the description are not very revealing. I couldn't get a clear idea of how to hook up the transformer.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:49 pm »
So basically 100 watts is their limit?

turkey

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:56 pm »
Is this transformer going to cure my audioholic addiction?  :lol:

Probably not, but it might be a cheap and cheerful way to solve a problem with ground loops. :)

People might also want to look into something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWERVAR-ABC200-11-power-conditioner-no-res-/160483256648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255d8c2948

Oneac is another brand to look for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONEAC-POWER-SUPPLY-LINE-CONDITIONER-CL1101-/370435841275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563fb25cfb

bside123

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm »
For more technical info, here's the link to Signal Transformer site... the company that makes the product mentioned on eBay:

http://www.signaltransformer.com/content/industrial-process-control-international-one-4-all-transformer-chassis-mount

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:14 pm »
Here's something I found on eBay. Has anyone actually bought and use one of these? Results?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Medical-Grade-Isolation-Transformer-100-132v-100va-2-/390224979633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adb38a6b1#ht_500wt_928

Yes - they are terrific.  I know of no better cheap 'tweek' to use and improve digital playback.

It acts as a very effective wastegate for digital hash transmitted by your digital gear on the AC line....it won't allow it back into the sonic chain to contaminate your downstream preamp and amp.  As well, I would assume it delivers 'cleaner' power to your digital components improving them, too (this one is potentially more dubious in effect)

I use a single outlet version of a variable isolation transformer called IsoTap (made either by RCA or a company called Wiz who made them for RCA). There's tens or hundreds of thousands of these old iso trannies in supply in at least the US...real cheap on ebay when they appear.

Luckily, two are on ebay now quote cheap.  They're both multi outlets so they're especially good for folks that have both a transport and DAC set-up (I have only an integrated universal CD / DVD / SACD / DVD-A player as my digital front end)

http://www.google.com/products?q=isotap+ebay&hl=en&aq=f

wow - the guy selling these for $24.95 + $12 shipping has more than 10 available.  This is a screaming good deal for these.  When you receive it, you will notice considerable heft for a little can.  It's mostly all tranny inside - no fancy audiophool parts need apply :wink:

Note: you will more-than-likely need 'cheater' plugs...this is the full extent of adaptation required to use these (trust me, if I can do it, you certainly can :))  That is, a plug that will receive the (likely) 3 prong plug from your DAC and or player and convert to a two prongs for insertion into the IsoTap isolation transformers).  These were made before the advent of 3 prong ground plugs.

An electrical engineer or electrician might admonish :rules: you for using a cheater plug due to the potential electrical hazard created....but in reality, digital equipment need such little juice there is little potential hazard created.  Not so with hungrier amps that have been designed to use 3 prong grounds - admonishment and caution using cheater plugs there is likely proper.

I think more than a few of you will be thanking me for steering you into spending a mere $36.95-to-your-door to buy one of these...they're that helpful to the digital cause. 

I was hoping Wind Chaser had hooked his up to give us his sonic view of these...but, I see from the above that it takes a little bit of time to set the ones he received up :(

EDIT: I just saw turkey's post and link from above about the 'POWERVAR ABC200-11 power conditioner' on ebay.  If it goes cheap, it's a great deal and would require no adaptation to use with your modern 3 prong cords prevalent today. 

Regards, John

bside123

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:18 pm »
Hi John,

Have you used this particular iso-transformer with any gear other than digital? Preamp, Amp?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:39 pm »
Hi John,

Have you used this particular iso-transformer with any gear other than digital? Preamp, Amp?

I do remember using with my turntable....I noticed no notable change good or bad  :dunno:

I can't remember offhand if tried with any other gear as I've owned it for a few years.  I probably didn't try on any other gear.  My experience with all power conditioners that use a transformer based 'solution' has been abysmal on anything but low-draw front end gear :( 

Perhaps a MASSIVE power condition with a MASSIVE transformer like that stuck to the side of the utility pole outside your house from the local electrical company would do the trick....but I've found the audiophool transformer-based conditioners starved amp and preamp for juice and made them sound a lot worse in many instances. They sounded 'cleaner', but overall more strident.  So, it added more bad than good was my opinion of them on amps and preamps.

The IsoTap units are hefty, but not the size trannies you'd typically use for amps and preamps. However, they may be of benefit to those using efficient Class D / Tripath amps.   Best to listen for yourself and make an individual determination of effect :) 

For digital front ends....you're simply likely to be thrilled for an expenditure of under $40 for these.

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:35 pm »
I could be wrong, but my guess is an isolation transformer will do more to improve your system than a 'high end' power cord.  I've never been able to grasp why a power cord could make any difference in that regard. 

For the record, I am a big believer in ICs and speaker cables.  Just haven't had any comparable experiences with power cords yet.  The PCs that I have tried ranged in price from $500 to $2000.  And while they certainly sounded 'different' to one extent or another, I've never been smitten or thought that the difference could be classified as a legitimate improvement.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:55 pm »
I could be wrong, but my guess is an isolation transformer will do more to improve your system than a 'high end' power cord.  I've never been able to grasp why a power cord could make any difference in that regard.

Yeah, I'd agree...iso trannies should provide more sonic and less dubious benefits than pricey power cords. At least on digital front end gear.

I've heard differences in IC's and loudspeaker cables too...but the positive effects weren't repeatable across all systems and components and neither did most of them sound anything but different from one another. So, I suspect their effects (good and bad heard) are due to electrical realities I have little basis of knowledge in :dunno:

I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade....if you love and find benefit using pricey speaker cables and IC's...more power to ya'.  All that matters is your enjoyment of your music :thumb:

John

Alexdad54

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:51 pm »
After reading the discussion about the Isotaps listed on ebay,  I'm inclined to pull the trigger on a pair for my CDP and my DAC but I wanted to ask which of the outlets on the pictures would one use? I would presume the one labeled "isolated" but they also have "direct", "high", "medium" and "low", etc.
thanks,
Dave

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:28 pm »
After reading the discussion about the Isotaps listed on ebay,  I'm inclined to pull the trigger on a pair for my CDP and my DAC but I wanted to ask which of the outlets on the pictures would one use? I would presume the one labeled "isolated" but they also have "direct", "high", "medium" and "low", etc.
thanks,
Dave

Dave: I wouldn't know offhand...mine has only one single outlet marked isolated.  Perhaps one of the more technically astute folks here could steer you in the right direction.

115v is what you'd likely set it at....mine is also variable and I either heard bad effects from using higher or lower than actual/normal voltage on the line (typically between 110 - 120v in the US) or no difference when I toggled different voltages on my unit.  It just stays at 115v now.

John

Feanor

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:41 pm »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=220481431189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_928

As I understand it, isolation transformers are especially good at getting rid of low frequency noise, but not so good in general with RFI.

I once tried a Tripp Lite IS1000: see HERE.  My intent was to get rid of transformer hum in my Bel Canto amp.  The Tripp Lite reduced the hum quite a bit but not entirely; unfortunately the unit itself hummed louder that amp ever did, so I sold it.  :|

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:47 pm »
As I understand it, isolation transformers are especially good at getting rid of low frequency noise, but not so good in general with RFI.

I once tried a Tripp Lite IS1000: see HERE.  My intent was to get rid of transformer hum in my Bel Canto amp.  The Tripp Lite reduced the hum quite a bit but not entirely; unfortunately the unit itself hummed louder that amp ever did, so I sold it.  :|

I don't know what part of the frequency spectrum they eliminate noise from best - or any apparently shortcoming 'filtering' out RFI - I honestly think most of the benefits of these on digital gear is it acting as a wastegate from letting digital hash migrate to your upstream components, ie, preamps and amps.

There is a little bit of hum from these IsoTap units too....but they are very solid to hold.  I think, but not sure someone once shared with me that they are fully potted inside (wax, foam, clay??) so the hum from these Isotap units is minimal.  Whatever residual hum there is is mostly handled by putting them on some surface or feet that would absorb some of it (a silicone pot holder, $5.99 from Sur La Table kitchen store, works under mine :thumb:)

John