TriTrix speaker kit-$199

lcrim

TriTrix speaker kit-$199
« on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:54 am »
I thought of the cheap and cheerful circle when I came across this kit.  Check out the link.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-702

Anybody know anything more about it. 

I couldn't find an efficiency figure but it has a second order crossover.  Looks decent and you can't beat the price w/ a stick. 

Mariusz

Re: TriTrix speaker kit-$199
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2010, 03:09 am »
Thanks Larry for the link and including it in Cheap and Cheerful.

I can't really tell if $199 is for a pair or a single speaker kit?

If it is for a pair - well, it sure is cheerful. :lol:

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2010, 03:31 am »
I'm pretty sure that is for a pair.  It is designed by Curt C, a long time PE Forum regular with several designs to his credit.  One of my students built a variation on one his designs several year ago that sounded and measured pretty nice.  It should be a bargain for the price.

Sparky14

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2010, 05:51 am »
The latest edition of Affordable$$Audio has part 1 of a review.....

http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2010-01.pdf

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:16 pm »
I checked out that "review" of the speakers, actually there was part I and part II   and no listening impressions or specs yet.  There was info on building the kit.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:59 pm »
I thought of the cheap and cheerful circle when I came across this kit.  Check out the link.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-702

Anybody know anything more about it. 

I couldn't find an efficiency figure but it has a second order crossover.  Looks decent and you can't beat the price w/ a stick.

You're right, you can't beat the price with a stick!

The efficiency figure from what Parts Express has published below appears to be from about 84 dB to 88 dB on axis. There is a classic BBC dip around 4kHz that the designer Curt Campbell mentions is integral to the tweeter itself. Also, this is an 8 ohm loudspeaker as the two Dayton midwoofers are connected in series and hence the lower sensitivity figure. The impedance also looks easy peasy for any amp to drive. Very hard to be critical of this design as there are several others I have seen that don't even measure as well as what is posted here. For the price, a bargain. Maybe for my office or a larger den system?  :scratch:

Anand.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2010, 03:13 pm »
Why are the cabinets glued and then screwed? Aren't cabinets typically just glued together?

I would love to build one of these but I don't have any clamps and I have trouble drilling a hole perpendicular to a surface.