Multi-disc CD player recommendation

brj

Multi-disc CD player recommendation
« on: 30 Nov 2009, 07:31 pm »
I started another thread looking for mini-monitor speaker recommendation as a holiday gift for the parents, but this was another idea I had... a multi-disc CD player.  They currently have a Kenwood DP-M107R 7 disc CD player that is fully functional after what seems like 20 years of service, and I hate to retire something that works, but its lack of discrete remote codes for many commands has made integration via a programmable remote quite problematic.

(A computer based music system that can rip CDs in place would be fantastic, but I don't know of any fully contained music servers, ala the Olive 4 series, that fit the "cheap and cheerful" price tag and are sufficiently intuitive.)

So with that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for a $350, or less, multi-disc CD player?

Requirements:

• Fully discrete remote codes
  • Capacity for at least 5 disks, 6 or more would be better (although I don't see the need for 100+ unless other benefits arise)
  • Random function operates between disks
  • Player will be feeding a Denon AVR-1909 receiver via either analog or digital input, depending on which has the better DAC (although a digital feed allows use of the Audyssey room correction on the Denon)
  • Used might be ok, since some older transports are quite good, but for such consumer grade electronics, I'd lean toward new

Thanks for your thoughts!

2gumby2

Re: Multi-disc CD player recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2009, 12:12 pm »
Take a look at the Denon DCM-390. It has HDCD capability too which I think is a real plus. I really like the HDCD format. I have a DCM-380 and I have been very happy with it.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:30 pm »
...and speaking of multi-disc players...

I hope you don't mind me adding this on. (If not, PM me and I'll start a new thread instead.)

Are the 100/200/300 disc changers reliable? Should I avoid them or are they fine?

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2009, 04:53 am »
I use this for older DVDs and some CDs.

Sony VAIO VGP-XL1B3 Digital Living Systems Media Changer (200 discs - player/recorder. Used with mini HP tower)
paid - $150 at Sony outlet store last year.

Mariusz

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:20 pm »
Thanks but they no longer make that Vaio. Anyway, it'll be in the spring before I get one.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:29 pm »
I have one of these I don't use.

This changer works fine I don't need it now since I have ripped all the CDs.  It's free to anyone who wants to pick it up in Vienna, Virginia. 

brj

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2009, 07:20 pm »
Most generous of you, Woodsyi!

Alas, that would be quite the walk from Colorado! :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone!

Gumpy, has your Denon had any issues?  Reliability seems to be a point of contention in the reviews I've scanned so far.

Mariusz, the Vaio looks interesting, but my parents don't have a PC handy to connect to it, so much of its functionality would be wasted.

Thanks!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2009, 07:34 pm »
I can pack it up and send it out if you want to pay the shipping and handling cost.  I don't think I saved the original box since it's not really an "audiophile" item.  I would have to make sure the carousel and the laser is secure.  PM me the address if you want it shipped.

turkey

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:04 pm »
At the other end of the scale, my brother recently got a Sony CDP CE375 CD changer (5 disc).

It works nicely, sounds quite good, and should last him for years. It was about $100 too.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:34 pm »
I've been extremely happy with this Onkyo piece. It performs flawlessly & sounds exceptionally good.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=DX-C390&class=Compact%20Disc&p=i

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2009, 09:24 am »
I can pack it up and send it out if you want to pay the shipping and handling cost.  I don't think I saved the original box since it's not really an "audiophile" item.  I would have to make sure the carousel and the laser is secure.  PM me the address if you want it shipped.

Well, it looks like I'll have a CD carousel player when I return to the States next year!  :green:

Thanks, Rim!  :thumb:  You da MAN!

This really is the Cheap and Cheerful forum for me!

charlie

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2009, 11:57 am »
brj,
   My Denon DCM-380 has been completely reliable. I had a Denon DCM-370 before that with a lot of hard use and it was reliable as well. I sold it and bought the 380. I also saw customer reviews indicating some reliability problems with the 380, but mine has performed flawlessly and I've been very happy with it. From what I've read, the 390 is supposed to be more reliable, but my 380 has been just fine.

weirdo

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2009, 08:16 pm »
the Marantz multi-disc player looks pretty handsome in its new iteration I saw it on Audio Advisor I think . It was 399.00.  I would not be surprised if it sounds good. I have two other changers, a Denon and a Sony. both are in bedroom systems where realiability is way more important than sound.