Thoughts about building one of these into an AKSA?

yammy1688

Thoughts about building one of these into an AKSA?
« on: 20 Mar 2009, 07:41 am »
http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

Bent Audio Slagleformer passive attenuator module.  I'd like to try out one of Hugh's amps, but just not very fond of separates as I like to keep things simple and only want one input anyways.  I was wondering what are you guys' thoughts on installing a pair of these into an AKSA?  Or perhaps even gutting a promitheus TVC and putting the parts into an AKSA chassis?

I haven't heard any accounts of AKSA owners pairing their amps with passives such as the promitheus TVC, bent audio tap, etc.  Any care to offer any input on the matter? 

It appears that the majority of AKSA owners use a GK-1 for a pre-amp, but I think that may be too many parts to install that into the same chassis as the AKSA, not to mention the additional power outlet required.

walkern

Re: Thoughts about building one of these into an AKSA?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2009, 06:37 pm »
I am using a Promitheus TVC with my LF55 Platinum, and it works extremely well.  The only down side is, no tube bliss unless you've got a tube source (I am also using the Promitheus DAC, but switched the output opamps to GD Audio Moon modules which makes the DAC sound more analog/tube like).  This combo also necessitates using very neutral sounding interconnects, speaker cables, etc.  It is immediately obvious if I substitute in any cable that tips the spectral balance of the system in any direction.  I am going to write a brief post (when I've got a few minutes) about cables that I've tried (PCs, ICs, SCs etc) that seem to really let the music flow.  In any case, I've not built in any sort of volume control into my LF55, but if memory serves Hugh's instruction set includes details about how to do so.  By the way, I've got RAW Acoustics RA-8 speakers (line source sort of, with a central ribbon tweeter).  They are very easy to drive (high sensitivity), but are also very revealing of junk coming their way.  The LF55 is FAR and away the best sounding amp I've ever had, and not by a small margin... so my recommendation is... GO for it.  You won't regret it.

Neil

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2009, 08:42 pm »
Transformer volume controls (TVCs) introduce quite a bit of low order distortion into the music, mostly H2, H3 and H4.  This low order distortion skews the distortion spectrum towards something rather like tube amplifiers with their large output transformers, and partly simulates the sound if you use a very low distortion SS amp.

There are two problems with TVCs, cost, and complexity.  For 20 steps, you need 20 taps on the trafo, and this, unless it's very well shielded, can create a few problems for assembly and sometimes causes noise issues.  A great advantage, but not one generally available because TVCs are wired as autoformers, with one continuous tapped winding, is that a TVC can use a primary and a secondary, and this enables you to omit the input cap, removing a source of high coloration from the input cap.  However, I have never seen a TVC wound as a conventional transformer;  they are always autoformers, which seems a pity.

Yammy1688, if you have a TVC already, go for it.  It will sound damn good.

Cheers,

Hugh

yammy1688

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:19 am »
Hugh,

Thanks for chiming in and for the words of assurance :)

I think I'm going to go ahead with these:

http://www.bentaudio.com/rempics/safbb.jpg

A bit expensive, and not your typical TVC, but from what some have saidm these actually sound better than John's prior offerings. They also seem extremely easy to install and don't take much space.