C & C Speakers

I.Greyhound Fan

C & C Speakers
« on: 21 Nov 2016, 07:00 pm »
I needed a pair of CC speakers for another bedroom system.  I was considering the Elac B'6s.  I wanted something under $350pr.  I just bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds in Rosewood from Music Direct with free shipping for $349pr on sale.   I had about $125 in Amazon gift cards that I received from doing on line surveys related to my work that I used in the purchase.  I hope I did not make a mistake with these over the Elac's.   I wanted a book shelf speaker with a 6.5" woofer and a slightly warmer sound laid back sound.  Just curious what other people recommend or are using.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: C & C Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2016, 09:45 pm »
IMO the Elac B6 are not laid back and especially not warm.  In fact I characterize their sound as typical modern thin/spritely.  For passive speakers I've enjoyed Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s for roughly 13 years.  Supremely musical, image like crazy, and offer full bodied mid-bass.  (Personally I try to avoid gear that has a particular coloration.)  The new CBM-170SEs are right in your price range, but probably not available via Amazon. 

Early B.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:46 am »
No, you didn't make a mistake with the Wharfedale's, great speakers at the price.  It's been awhile since I've heard them, they've been around forever, so they certainly weren't the latest version, but I really liked them.  Very dynamic and clear without harshness, a tough feat for cheap speakers. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2016, 04:48 am »
No, you didn't make a mistake with the Wharfedale's, great speakers at the price.  It's been awhile since I've heard them, they've been around forever, so they certainly weren't the latest version, but I really liked them.  Very dynamic and clear without harshness, a tough feat for cheap speakers.

Thanks, all the reviews on these speakers are very similar.  The people that don't like them find them to be too polite.  I tend to favor a little bit of colored sound vs complete accuracy.  I got them for a great price.  I will probably pair it with a Class D  cda 254 Audio amp that I have laying around with my old AVA Ultra II hybrid preamp.

Those Ascend Acoustics look like a good speaker.  There is a pair on ebay for $199 along with some good deals on B&W 686's.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2016, 02:50 pm »
Audio by Van Alstine used to sell a modded version of the Diamonds with changes to (IIRC) the crossover. Might want to ring them up and see if it may be possible to improve them significantly at modest cost.

(What is the opposite of 'polite' in speakers anyway???...  )

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm »
Some of the better inexpensive speakers with some downsides or other things to consider:

Elac B5/B6 (could use some No-Rez to solidify cabinets and are not efficient)
JBL LSR305 (self powered, can be had very cheap at $220-240 a pair, but require being fed a signal and power cable)
AV123 / GR Research XLS - Encore (still one of the better small speakers around and a natural sound, but may be more difficult to find)
JBL Studio 230 (big speakers, nice sound)
JBL Studio 530 (difficult to find at a lower price, when they're available, the price is good and sound is very good for intimate settings, but inefficient design)
Klipsch RP-150M (much more neutral design than in the past, efficient)

The newer JBL designs are really fantastic and image like crazy. I've heard nothing but great things of the Studio 530 design. The Studio 230 and Klipsch RP-150M are efficient designs, so if you're looking at using low powered tube amps, they'd be a definite option to consider. With neutral designs, tubes will add the sound you're looking for and provide pleasing harmonics.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:35 pm »
I considered the JBL's.   A lot of people really like them.  The WAF with them is not very good.  I strongly considered the Elac's but if you read between the lines on reviews (pro and user) they have their issues.

It will be interesting to compare the 10.2's to a pair of Monitor Audio S1's (a very clear, musical and detailed speaker) and PSB B6's (great midrange and warmer sounding with very good mid bass, lacks upper frequency detail but it is a lot of bang for the buck and a very forgiving speaker) that I have.  I bought the PSB B6's for my son and I may offer him the 10.2's in a trade if he likes them better than the PSB's.  Initially I wanted to buy the Wharfedales for him a few years ago but the price went up and the PSB's were on sale for $100 off.

cujobob

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2016, 06:24 pm »
I considered the JBL's.   A lot of people really like them.  The WAF with them is not very good.  I strongly considered the Elac's but if you read between the lines on reviews (pro and user) they have their issues.

It will be interesting to compare the 10.2's to a pair of Monitor Audio S1's (a very clear, musical and detailed speaker) and PSB B6's (great midrange and warmer sounding with very good mid bass, lacks upper frequency detail but it is a lot of bang for the buck and a very forgiving speaker) that I have.  I bought the PSB B6's for my son and I may offer him the 10.2's in a trade if he likes them better than the PSB's.  Initially I wanted to buy the Wharfedales for him a few years ago but the price went up and the PSB's were on sale for $100 off.

With the grills on, I think a lot of the JBLs look pretty nice, but obviously style is subjective. Danny Richie also offers mods for the ELAC B6 and seemed to speak highly of the driver quality. The two major knocks I've seen on them have been the inefficiency and cabinet resonance.

cujobob

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2016, 08:41 pm »
Just a head's up, the LSR305 in white are available on Amazon right now for $99 each. $200 a pair including amps.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2016, 08:53 pm »
Just a head's up, the LSR305 in white are available on Amazon right now for $99 each. $200 a pair including amps.

There's an ongoing $50 instant rebate from JBL through December 31, and although not all retailers are showing it, you can get black ones from sources such as Guitar Center, Markertek, etc.

Steve

tvyankee

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2016, 09:13 pm »
This may be a double post. Sorry. Thought it was a good deal.

http://www.techbargains.com/deal/439385/svs-sb12-nsd-subwoofer

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2016, 09:57 pm »
There's an ongoing $50 instant rebate from JBL through December 31, and although not all retailers are showing it, you can get black ones from sources such as Guitar Center, Markertek, etc.

Steve

How can you tell if the instant rebate is being applied? I went to Amazon and B&H Photo and don't see any indication that they are applying a $50 rebate.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm »
How can you tell if the instant rebate is being applied? I went to Amazon and B&H Photo and don't see any indication that they are applying a $50 rebate.

I guess you have to get it from someone who is applying the instant discount / instant rebate from the listing page:

http://www.markertek.com/product/jbl-lsr305/jbl-lsr305-5-inch-two-way-powered-studio-monitor-each?gclid=CKiuya6xvdACFU6RfgodDzYCbw

(I was in error about Guitar Center, turns out theirs was a used listing)

Steve

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2016, 01:32 am »
Barfdales are great cheap speaker. Everyone wants to rave on Elac. They're ok but not leagues ahead of the barfs and definitely not as pretty. So what you got and Mordaunt Shorts are my favorite cheap speakers. Steer clear of cheap Monitor Audio if you value your hearing. Ouch!

2bigears

« Reply #15 on: 23 Nov 2016, 02:17 am »
 :D.  Anybody know the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 Ref Monitor ?   I'm thinkin'  on that speaker.   :D
              Watch those poor turkeys run ,,,,,,   Whoa !   :)

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 23 Nov 2016, 10:34 am »
Polk Audio has these on Black Friday sale for 50 bucks and free shipping.

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/t15

A second vote for Mordaunt Short. I sold a truck load of these in the 80's. MS 30-35's were true giant killers. They even beat all of the B&W's.

rotarius

« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2016, 10:26 pm »
I bought a pair of Polk TSX220B for a bedroom without much thought and I am surprised by them.  I have no idea why they sound so good, I am enjoying them a lot.  Not the most resolving but very smooth and warm.  JBL Studio 530 are really nice at their price point.  Very well designed horns!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2016, 11:21 pm »
I received my Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's in 2 days from Music Direct.  The build quality is excellent with real Rosewood Veneer and quality binding posts.  They look great with the grills off with a high gloss black front panel.  The cabinet is curved.   They look like speakers $2K or more.

They are breaking in right now in my main rig with my Pass X250 amp and BAT preamp.  They are very inefficient and are rated at 87db sensitivity but they seem lower.  I tried them in another system with a Parasound A21 amp and a diy Pass B1 preamp/buffer and I can't get any usable volume out of them.  They clearly like the 500wpc of my Pass amp and the dynamics of the BAT preamp.

They have a slightly darker sound but are neutral at the same time.  They are laid back and very smooth with a sweet midrange.  Treble is not harsh and bass is very controlled and tight for an inexpensive speaker.  They sound more detailed and less bloated bass than a pair of more expensive PSB B6's that I have. Dynamics are improving after about 4 hours of play.  I suspect it will take about 30 hours to fully break in.  Vocals and acoustic music sound great with them.  They are definitely a Rock and Roll speaker.
The main weakness I hear is that the top end could use more detail as you would expect in a speaker in this price range.

These are clearly a C&C great buy.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2016, 11:50 am »
I received my Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's in 2 days from Music Direct.  The build quality is excellent with real Rosewood Veneer and quality binding posts.  They look great with the grills off with a high gloss black front panel.  The cabinet is curved.   They look like speakers $2K or more.

They are breaking in right now in my main rig with my Pass X250 amp and BAT preamp.  They are very inefficient and are rated at 87db sensitivity but they seem lower.  I tried them in another system with a Parasound A21 amp and a diy Pass B1 preamp/buffer and I can't get any usable volume out of them.  They clearly like the 500wpc of my Pass amp and the dynamics of the BAT preamp.

They have a slightly darker sound but are neutral at the same time.  They are laid back and very smooth with a sweet midrange.  Treble is not harsh and bass is very controlled and tight for an inexpensive speaker.  They sound more detailed and less bloated bass than a pair of more expensive PSB B6's that I have. Dynamics are improving after about 4 hours of play.  I suspect it will take about 30 hours to fully break in.  Vocals and acoustic music sound great with them.  They are definitely a Rock and Roll speaker.
The main weakness I hear is that the top end could use more detail as you would expect in a speaker in this price range.

These are clearly a C&C great buy.

OK, so they look nice.  But from your description it seems like they may be broke (little volume).  Manufacturers are notorious for over-rating speaker efficiency (the 87 dB/w/m figure is average), but this is beyond extreme.  Are all the settings on your gear correct/proper?  Is there some sort of protective cover on the drivers or binding posts?  Can't be very C&C if it takes a 500 watt amp to make them sing.  Weird.