Studio Monitors < $1k

jackman

Re: Studio Monitors < $1k
« Reply #60 on: 7 Dec 2014, 11:36 pm »
FWIW the tweeters* in your speakers are more limited with regard to dispersion and while the BMR on-axis is a bit ragged, design and power response may help smooth it out.

*the tweeters in your speakers are I believe $550/pair, whereas the Cambridge bookshelf speakers list at $700 to $1000 a pair.

Are we talking raw drivers or as implimented in speakers?  The tweets in the Cambridge are probably punched out of plastic in China for $.25.  Also, I would love for anyone with the Cambridge to come over and compare them side by side with my speakers.  They Cambridge speaker are cheaper but you probably get what you pay for.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #61 on: 7 Dec 2014, 11:55 pm »
Are we talking raw drivers or as I plimented in speakers?  The tweets in the Cambridge are probably punched out of plastic in China for $.25.  Also, I would love for anyone with the Cambridge to come over and compare them side by side with my speakers.  They Cambridge speaker are cheaper but you probably get what you pay for.

Having a bad day?  Cause I'm not feeling the love from you Jackman.  Or do you have a axe to grind against Cambridge?

jackman

« Reply #62 on: 8 Dec 2014, 12:07 am »
Having a bad day?  Cause I'm not feeling the love from you Jackman.  Or do you have a axe to grind against Cambridge?

No, I don't mind their products.  It would be fun to hear the ones in question. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #63 on: 8 Dec 2014, 01:26 am »
Sorry I wasn't on this thread sooner.  Needless to say, certain gentlemen will settle their language down, now.  Wind Chaser and jackman this means you in case I was too subtle.  Totally uncalled for.

My apologies. The tone / arrogance of Jack's response to my initial post caught me on the blindside. I should have shown "more" restraint and simply ignored him as I have done in the past. Again, I apologize.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #64 on: 8 Dec 2014, 01:30 am »
 :duel:

jackman

« Reply #65 on: 8 Dec 2014, 03:10 am »
My apologies. The tone / arrogance of Jack's response to my initial post caught me on the blindside. I should have shown "more" restraint and simply ignored him as I have done in the past. Again, I apologize.

I love when you get all passive-aggressive.  Honestly, I didn't mind the personal attack. Good luck with that restraint.  :lol:

Cheers

Jack

sonicxtc

« Reply #66 on: 8 Dec 2014, 07:28 pm »
I've heard consistently good news about Ascend's 2 way monitors.
Encore XLS. I had them. They were great and below your price point.
Green Mountain if you can find a used pair. They'd be great.
ACI can be found in the price range, e.g. ACI sapphire.
Frizt, but that would probably require a used set, too. Fritz's speakers are tremendous.  :D
Tetra....spoke to a guy who loves this line of speakers. I'm not familiar with them.

I can vouch for Fritz, Green Mountain and the Encores having actually heard them.
Good luck.

Edit. How did I manage not to mention Hawthorne?
Granted, it would be an open baffle design, but honestly Hawthorne's are fantastic, super efficient and even just a 10 or 15 Silver Iris or Sterling Silver Iris would sound great. I've got the 15 and with NO separate bass drivers they are incredible. I've sometimes forgotten to turn on the Augies (bass drivers sort of like subwoofers). And, Darrell is one of the nicest guys in the Audio world. Check out their forum. Ask around. Many helpful guys over there. I'd ask Darrell's input. He's a straight shooter.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2014, 07:24 pm by sonicxtc »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 8 Dec 2014, 07:35 pm »
And, Darrell is one of the nicest guys in the Audio world.
Which still surprised me that he's in bed with Core Audio.   :scratch:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #68 on: 8 Dec 2014, 11:10 pm »
If this is your project studio you want consistent sound. You don't want the speaker to grab you you actually want the mix you slaved over to grab you. I know very good engineers that tirelessly, try a mix, burn a cd of it and listen to it from a boom box or car stereo before they sign off. My friend Phil Nicolo goes through a 100+ CDR's for each song he mixs down...I loved JBL's as a kid and now as an old head, I have not heard the ones you tried but the buzz about them is they are really superb.
 I was a drummer so technically as far as doing mixes and all I've done a very small amount, I do know if a certain characteristic a speaker hits you hard all your mixes will sound the same as you try and get that sound!!!!! Remember all the cute little things your spouse did that made you smile and how now they drive you bonkers........just my 2 cents......
 :duh:

brklnclln

« Reply #69 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:41 pm »
If it were me I would do nothing until I heard the Sonodyne SRP400. They are causing a massive buzz right now in pro monitoring circles and apparently possess all the characteristics you mention in spades. Don't let the apparently limited LF extension fool you, apparently they sound huge and, most importantly, the results translate to other speakers. $750 a pair. Sweetwater is sold out (no surprise) but more are on the way.

Googling will reveal raves in Gearslutz.com threads and elsewhere.

Here's a comparison between the SRP 400 and some other highly esteemed (and good) monitors, like PSI and Quested.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/925003-new-sonodyne-srp-line-vs-psi-vs-quested-vs-old-sonodyne-impressions.html

I'm really eager to check these out but it's proving to be prohibitively difficult. The stockist listed on the Sonodyne website doesn't stock Sonodyne products. Sonodyne customer service is yet to get back to me 48 hours later and whilst I found an au domain for Sonodyne (looks to be wholesale distributors) they are also yet to return an email or phonecall. Perhaps its just not meant to be!

brklnclln

« Reply #70 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:48 pm »
If this is your project studio you want consistent sound. You don't want the speaker to grab you you actually want the mix you slaved over to grab you. I know very good engineers that tirelessly, try a mix, burn a cd of it and listen to it from a boom box or car stereo before they sign off.

It definitely helps having a little listen in the car and through a pair of iphone earbuds. Most of my mixing is done in a couple of pairs of headphones and it gets woefully fatiguing. Can't wait to get a pair of proper monitors!

brklnclln

« Reply #71 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:49 pm »
I've heard consistently good news about Ascends 2 way monitors.
Encore XLS. I had them. They were great and below your price point.
Green Mountain if you can find a used pair. They'd be great.
ACI can be found in the price range, e.g. ACI sapphire.
Frizt, but that would probably require a used set, too. Fritz's speakers are tremendous.  :D
Tetra....spoke to a guy who loves this line of speakers. I'm not familiar with them.

I can vouch for Fritz, Green Mountain and the Encores having actually heard them.
Good luck.

Edit. How did I manage not to mention Hawthorne?
Granted, it would be an open baffle design, but honestly Hawthorne's are fantastic, super efficient and even just a 10 or 15 Silver Iris or Sterling Silver Iris would sound great. I've got the 15 and with NO separate bass drivers they are incredible. I've sometimes forgotten to turn on the Augies (bass drivers sort of like subwoofers). And, Darrell is one of the nicest guys in the Audio world. Check out their forum. Ask around. Many helpful guys over there. I'd ask Darrell's input. He's a straight shooter.

Thanks dude, will check these out for sure!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:52 pm »
It definitely helps having a little listen in the car and through a pair of iphone earbuds. Most of my mixing is done in a couple of pairs of headphones and it gets woefully fatiguing. Can't wait to get a pair of proper monitors!
Do you have anything on SoundCloud that we can hear?  This helps a ton.  I have a fairly high end system here in both 2ch and also headphones. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #73 on: 10 Dec 2014, 07:50 pm »
I don't know if your budget will stretch this far, but there is a pair of Neumann KH 120As on eBay right now for a buy it now price of $1250; top bid $800. They are a great small near field which sound much larger than their size and a very safe recommendation, even though the made-in-India Sonodynes are much cheaper. The low end -2dB point of the Sonodynes is 75 Hz and the same for the Neumanns is 54 Hz. They are $1500 new and are likely to retain their value better than most, being Neumann.
They are located in Rhode Island.

roscoeiii

« Reply #74 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:07 pm »
I don't know if your budget will stretch this far, but there is a pair of Neumann KH 120As on eBay right now for a buy it now price of $1250; top bid $800. They are a great small near field which sound much larger than their size and a very safe recommendation, even though the made-in-India Sonodynes are much cheaper. The low end -2dB point of the Sonodynes is 75 Hz and the same for the Neumanns is 54 Hz. They are $1500 new and are likely to retain their value better than most, being Neumann.
They are located in Rhode Island.

OP is in Australia.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #75 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:56 pm »
OP is in Australia.

Oops. Hence the difficulties connecting with Sonodyne; I don't think they are well represented there.

ajzepp

« Reply #76 on: 10 Dec 2014, 09:36 pm »
CG4 or CG24 from www.rslspeakers.com 

One of the best kept secrets in audio. These have impressed me beyond belief. Have had them for over two years and no plans to make any changes.

wushuliu

« Reply #77 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:21 am »
CG4 or CG24 from www.rslspeakers.com 

One of the best kept secrets in audio. These have impressed me beyond belief. Have had them for over two years and no plans to make any changes.

Do you have just the speakers or their speedwoofer sub as well?

simoon

« Reply #78 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:44 am »
Why not go DIY?

There are some great kits that will outperform commercial speakers for quite a bit less.

For example, you can get a pair of Jeff Bagby's 'Contimuum' for $353 over at Meniscus, build a couple of cabinets, and the end result will outperform anything else you are going to get for under $1000 for a couple of weekends of labor.

These are modeled on the original BBC Ls3/5a studio monitors.

http://meniscusaudio.com/continuum-full-pair-p-1324.html

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #79 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:52 am »
If you go diy, get the GR research N2x.  From what I understand, Jeff B's computer model for crossovers works well, but I'd bet Danny's ear works better.