Studio Monitors < $1k

brklnclln

Studio Monitors < $1k
« on: 5 Dec 2014, 03:12 pm »
Hi :)

I'm chasing recommendations for nearfield monitors or an equivalent passive system for < $1k. I'm really looking for monitors that aren't overly coloured with reasonable clarity. So far I've looked at Yamaha HS8's, JBL LSR308's and Adam F7's - nothing has truly grabbed me. I know I'm not going to get ridiculous quality for my budget but this is a pretty big purchase for me (student life...) so I'm really trying to explore other avenues and recommendations. Be it other big name monitor brands, passive speakers and amp, or a DIY monitor kit. Any suggestions or recommendations? :)

Cheers

guest61169

Re: Studio Monitors < $1k
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2014, 04:22 pm »
Don't expect them to grab you in a music store or when plopped on top of an office desk.   You need to get them into your listening room and experiment with positioning, room treatment, proper speaker stands and any "room" settings on the speakers themselves.  These factors will affect sound quality as much or more than which of the above speakers (if any) you choose.  Try to buy from a store that offers returns and keep them mint until you know they are the ones you like.  I use HS8s myself.  By the way, they took months to optimize in my listening room but I'm really glad I persisted.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2014, 04:26 pm »
Dynaudio BM Compact mkIII

-  includes IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 desktop speaker stands
-  49Hz-24kHz / 116dB SPL peak
-  Made in Denmark
-  $800 / pair

MarkR7

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2014, 04:43 pm »
I fully agree with NoWay...  I personally use the JBL 308s in a simple secondary system, and I hated them at first; thought that I threw money out the window. After a couple of hundred hours and playing with positioning, they became smoother with a natural midrange, lost their harshness, they opened up, and now they fully disappear and have a great soundstage.  I am pleasantly surprised by them! The bass is quite impressive for the small speaker as well.  Don't base your decision on what you heard in a store!

Don't expect them to grab you in a music store or when plopped on top of an office desk.   You need to get them into your listening room and experiment with positioning, room treatment, proper speaker stands and any "room" settings on the speakers themselves.  These factors will affect sound quality as much or more than which of the above speakers (if any) you choose.  Try to buy from a store that offers returns and keep them mint until you know they are the ones you like.  I use HS8s myself.  By the way, they took months to optimize in my listening room but I'm really glad I persisted.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2014, 05:15 pm »
If you can DIY the GR Research N2X is really nice. I have a friend who uses a pair for his home studio and he's really pleased. They sometimes come up used here, as complete speakers, for well under your budget.

http://gr-research.com/n2x.aspx

walkern

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2014, 07:54 pm »
I own a pair of GR N2X speakers and I second Tom S's recommendation.  Genuinely wonderful sounding speakers at a very reasonable price.

Neil

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2014, 08:44 pm »
Hi :)

I'm chasing recommendations for nearfield monitors or an equivalent passive system for < $1k. I'm really looking for monitors that aren't overly coloured with reasonable clarity. So far I've looked at Yamaha HS8's, JBL LSR308's and Adam F7's - nothing has truly grabbed me. I know I'm not going to get ridiculous quality for my budget but this is a pretty big purchase for me (student life...) so I'm really trying to explore other avenues and recommendations. Be it other big name monitor brands, passive speakers and amp, or a DIY monitor kit. Any suggestions or recommendations? :)

Cheers

Best bang for the buck is DIY. Meniscus now has a whole range of kits that come with assembled crossovers. They will build cabinets for you as well. Anything designed by Jeff Bagby will sound amazing like the Mandolins, Kairos/Adelphos, Tributes, etc. For example His Continuums are available through Salk Sound for $1200 but you can get the kit at Meniscus for $400 (minus cabinets). That is one of his personal favorites - but all the kits whether by him or others are well regarded designs that you'd have to spend much much more to compete via retail.

http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2014, 09:12 pm »
Maybe look at Ascend CBM 170SE's. They have outstanding clarity and an exceptionally flat frequency response, particularly for their price. Maybe pair these with a Crown XLS? You'd be well under $1k and probably even have cases left over for some desktop speaker stands.

DS-21

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2014, 09:42 pm »
Maybe look at Ascend CBM 170SE's. They have outstanding clarity and an exceptionally flat frequency response, particularly for their price.

Those are very problematic-sounding speakers, despite the axial response. The reason is they were designed with no thought whatsoever to their polar response. Which looks like a giant mushroom cloud.

And, alas, that's exactly how they sound: because there's such an imbalance of upper midrange/lower treble energy thrust into the room that region is severely colored in room, unless the room is castrated with thick "treatments" on the sidewalls.

To the OP, I'd recommend seeing if you can find a dealer to sell you a pair of KEF R100's for that price. Or, perhaps even better albeit not as attractive, get a pair of KEF Q100's and a pair of small inexpensive subs, such as the ~$100 Pioneer units.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2014, 09:44 pm »
I would take a look at these Epos on sale-

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-57507-epos-epic-2-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

or these Focal's on sale-

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139678-focal-chrous-807-v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

Others to consider for a nice clear and detailed sound are B&W 685's and Monitor Audio Silver S1's or S2's, NHT Classic 3's

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2014, 09:55 pm »
Check out the polar response of the SEOS 12! :o                                                                      http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1291022-hey-guys-we-need-little-rallying-here.html

a.wayne

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2014, 11:09 pm »
Those are very problematic-sounding speakers, despite the axial response. The reason is they were designed with no thought whatsoever to their polar response. Which looks like a giant mushroom cloud.

And, alas, that's exactly how they sound: because there's such an imbalance of upper midrange/lower treble energy thrust into the room that region is severely colored in room, unless the room is castrated with thick "treatments" on the sidewalls.

To the OP, I'd recommend seeing if you can find a dealer to sell you a pair of KEF R100's for that price. Or, perhaps even better albeit not as attractive, get a pair of KEF Q100's and a pair of small inexpensive subs, such as the ~$100 Pioneer units.

Looks pretty geographical ....... :lol:

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2014, 11:26 pm »
I'd stretch for a pair of used KEF LS50s. Brilliant speakers. Used at around $1100 or so should be possible. They were 1299 new for a Black Friday sale. Maybe not too late for that?

brklnclln

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2014, 05:23 am »
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Keep em coming!

brklnclln

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2014, 07:21 am »
Best bang for the buck is DIY. Meniscus now has a whole range of kits that come with assembled crossovers. They will build cabinets for you as well. Anything designed by Jeff Bagby will sound amazing like the Mandolins, Kairos/Adelphos, Tributes, etc. For example His Continuums are available through Salk Sound for $1200 but you can get the kit at Meniscus for $400 (minus cabinets). That is one of his personal favorites - but all the kits whether by him or others are well regarded designs that you'd have to spend much much more to compete via retail.

http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html

Excuse my ignorance but I'm guessing these need to be paired with an amp? What should I look at?

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2014, 10:09 am »
I prefer the Philharmonic's Founteks over the Neo tweeters.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonitor.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2014, 11:28 am »
Well after 12 years I still love my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's.  Image like crazy, plenty of detail, tons of tone, very musical.  Can't write home about the cheap black vinyl finish but otherwise content value is extreme.

The premise of typical studio monitors (active design with one channel of amplification per driver and the crossover upstream of the amps) is ideal.  It can provide improved dynamics, ruler flat frequency response, and unbelievably deep/full bass thanks to matched amps/drivers that have direct feedback and the possibility of greatly improved crossovers.

Keep in mind that the purpose of studio monitors is to be work horses (flat frequency response, have a dry/detailed sound to help reveal the warts, and work best on an equipment bridge in a near-field setup); not pet horses for show, equestrian events, or racing.  Home audio boils down to being emotionally satisfied (and the colorations that suit your individual fancy).  So the sound of studio monitors is often quite fatiguing.  There are a few monitors that come to mind fitting the definition as "Cheap and Cheerful" which successfully crossover between studio work and home desktop/across the room enjoyment:

Adam 3AX ($650/pair, room filling, ribbon tweeter, front volume controls, highly resolving, tight bass)
KEF X300A ($800/pair, includes DAC, coaxial design, baby brother of the well respected LS-50)
Tannoy Reveal 402 ($280/pair, big/wet/crisp sound with good imaging)

RDavidson

« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:26 pm »

Wow! I never knew they were so bad.....especially with all the glowing reviews.
I second roscoeiii's recommendation for KEF LS50's, if you make the stretch. They'd do well in either a studio setting or a home setting. They need a good amp, though. I wouldn't hook them up to just a budget amp and expect great things. Not sure how maybe a Crown XLS would do on them. Something tells me the treble could be excessive, but I'm purely speculating.
JLM, is right about studio monitors with built-in amps. What's great about the really nice studio monitors, like Adam and Dynaudio etc is that the amp(s) are optimized to the speakers. Takes out a lot of guess work.
Emotiva has some reasonably priced powered monitors, that have gotten good reviews.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2014, 05:13 pm »
Good prices on the Emotiva Stealth speakers - sold each
https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/stealth-6