Emotiva ERC-02 or XDA-1 -- or something else with a VC & balanced XLR outputs?

Wind Chaser

I'm considering some very good pro studio monitors, but they only have balanced XLR inputs, and therein lies my dilemma.  I have a Beresford 7520 DAC, which I like a lot, especially after comparing it with a supposedly top notch DAC that cost many thousand dollars more, but the Beresford doesn't have balanced outputs.

The XDA-1 is now listed as clearance reduced to $249.  It seems this unit has/had some operational issues with the volume control.  Does anyone know whether or not that problem has been solved?  Moreover has anyone tried using it with the balanced outputs?

Or is the all in one ERC-2 (currently on sale for $369) the better way to go?

Or maybe there is another cheap and cheerful decent DAC or CDP I need to consider?

In any case whatever it is, it must have balanced outputs and a workable volume control.

srb

What studio monitors do you have?  Some allow an unbalanced connection through the XLR balanced connector, either with their combo XLR/1/4" jack or an adaptor.

As far as the Emotiva XDA-1, I had one of the early ones and its volume control was linear and not logarithmic.  The webpage stated .5dB steps and was subsequently editied to say ".5 steps".  With my setup, a 26dB gain amplifier and 89dB speakers, I found the first step, .5 was too loud for the quietest setting I wanted, and that I only had 4 coarse steps available before it was too loud.

My understanding was that once the problem was acknowledged by Emotiva, you could request the unit to be programmed with a logarithmic volume control prior to shipping.  The webpage and manual still say ".5 steps", so I'm assuming they are still shipped in linear mode unless logarithmic is specifically requested, but you would have to verify that with Emotiva.

Edit:  According to Emotiva, the units are being shipped with the volume control in logarithmic format.  They have not modified the product webpage to reflect that.

I though it sounded decent, but the extra value I thought it had was not in superior sound, but in having remote control inputs and volume.  Even if mine had been shipped with a proper logarithmic volume control, I'm not sure that I could have lived with the many bright blue lights and display, even at the dimmest setting.  The manual stated the dimmer would cycle through an all lights off setting, but that wasn't implemented.  (Maybe it has been now?).  OTOH some people like gaudy light shows.

Steve
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm by srb »

Rclark

Just FYI my xda-1 is up on auction at the 'gon. Just going to run the erc2 dac for now.

Oh the volume control thing was fixed ages ago. Mjne was a launch unit and I sent it in to have them remap it.