30V Maraschino

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
30V Maraschino
« on: 12 Sep 2015, 04:49 pm »
We are going to offer a 30V Power Supply option for the Maraschino.  The application is for lower power systems.  We get slightly better performance at low power with 30V.

Note these max power numbers with the available power supply voltages....

Max Power into 4Ω:
    30V ---- 102W
    48V ---- 260W
    60V ---- 406W

Max Power into 8Ω:
    30V ---- 51W
    48V ---- 130W
    60V ---- 203W

As you can see, we are conservative with our ratings.  The 30V Maraschino will be officially rated for 45W into 8Ω, for example.

We've been running tests to compare the performance at 30V versus 60V.  Here's the first plot.  It shows THD+N versus power into 8Ω at 1kHz for 30V (blue) and 60V (red):

Comments welcome!  Thanks for viewing this thread.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: 30V Maraschino
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2015, 05:00 pm »
Here's the plot for 4Ω, same parameters otherwise:

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2015, 12:58 am »
Interested, so what is the price for the 30v?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2015, 08:24 pm »
Interested, so what is the price for the 30v?
Since an adapter is required to interface to the Maraschino, the price will likely be about the same as the 48V versions.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2015, 10:31 pm »
Since an adapter is required to interface to the Maraschino, the price will likely be about the same as the 48V versions.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

Any trade-in value with the 48V PS?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2015, 12:07 am »
Any trade-in value with the 48V PS?
Due to the required adapters (barrel plug to DIN), the cost is about the same.  30V is great for small systems!  Please send me a PM if you want to try them.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2016, 02:40 pm »
Just a quick note....

We shipped to our first 30V Maraschino customer last week.  We're anxiously waiting to get feedback on his results!

As mentioned before, these are especially good for high efficiency speakers, and provide this sonic combination:
    Lows: tight and solid thanks to DC coupling (no bass phase shift as with other amps)
    Midrange: tube-like liquidy smooth
    Highs: lock-on imaging, open sky bandwidth with speed, none of the harshness of other Class-D amps

If you're interested in 30V, please send me a PM.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2016, 02:45 pm »
How much are they?

Sorry, answer is here:

-Tommy O

Best,
Anand.

jseipp

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2016, 12:51 am »
I'd like to drop in to mention that I am the recipient of the first 30V Maraschinos, and give a few preliminary comments.... 

As excited as I was to give the Maraschinos a good listening, I was down in bed for the first several days after they arrived.  I set them up in place of the integrated that anchors the bedroom system, and was immediately treated to an upgrade in sound.  I have to admit that I didn't exactly know what "locking bananas" were until now, other than a really funny thing to say out loud, but they are in fact a very elegant solution to hanging the amps -- no worries about them taking a tumble.  The 30V Maraschinos did a great job of keeping me company while down, but that isn't where I intend them to go....

I got some time in today comparing the 30V Maraschinos with the 60Vs that I already have on my main speakers.  My immediate impression is that the 30Vs do, in fact, bring something a little extra special to high efficiency speakers; mine are rated at 97dB.  Don't get me wrong, the Maraschinos on 60V supplies sound glorious, but the 30V supplies seem to bring the sound into focus a bit more, without losing any smoothness or sounding in any way forced.  I have open baffle speakers that do wonders in enveloping the listener in sound.  The Maraschinos both fill the room with full ambiance while allowing the sounds to "pop" right out of space, exactly where they feel naturally placed.  High frequencies are ridiculously focused and dead on in attack and decay.  The combination of clarity and drive the amps on these power supplies provide allows for as direct a connection to the music as I have had to date. 

I wish to do considerably more listening before writing up a full review, and I have some gremlins to chase down (nothing involving the amps) before being able to do them full justice, but so far the 30V supplies do seem tailored perfectly to the moderately high efficiency speakers I am using.  To me it's another testament to the versatility of the Maraschinos -- I have yet to find anything they don't excel at, and it seems that this excellence can be dialed in even further with the range of power supplies offered.  More to come....

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2016, 11:23 pm »
I am looking very forward to trying the 30v power supplies. My speakers are 86db efficiency, but I usually listen around 65-80db at the max. :thumb:

jseipp

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2016, 02:14 am »
I found across the board that the 30V supplies were particularly good at keeping the music "alive" at low volumes -- I think you'll be very impressed.  With my speakers I was amazed. :o

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2016, 08:26 pm »