BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

saveloy

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #160 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:49 am »
These differ very slightly in temperature with the green being hotter.  :drool:
And BTW the red dress is on the back of the green dress cover -- you get them both  :D
Tony

So the answer comes down to basic stupidity?!

Napalm

« Reply #161 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:53 am »
These differ very slightly in temperature with the green being hotter.  :drool:

:eyebrows:

Napalm

« Reply #162 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:06 am »
Now a serious question: would anyone here be interested in running digital filters (such as tone controls, EQ, compressors etc) on their BDP-1? Like in real-time filters (the file stays unmodified)?

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #163 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:28 am »
Since in another thread I mentioned "Devil May Care" as one of Diana's best sounding tracks, now I was curious how it was mastered. Here it is:

Good stuff, I think they did some "loudness" but nothing excessive. As for the peaks, a few of them just touch the limit, without any clipping. All in all a job well done.

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #164 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:45 am »
James, I have this nice notebook with this nice sound processing software and a large drive, how do I connect it to the BDA-1, as the only digital output is Displayport (no SPDIF coax/optical)?

Nap.  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #165 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:47 am »
James, I have this nice notebook with this nice sound processing software and a large drive, how do I connect it to the BDA-1, as the only digital output is Displayport (no SPDIF coax/optical)?

Nap.  :scratch:

What's a display port?

james

Phil A

Napalm

« Reply #167 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:52 am »
What's a display port?

james

It's the new thing that is supposed to replace HDMI. There are Displayport -> HDMI adapters but that's about all I can do.

Nap.

srb

« Reply #168 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:53 am »
A Display Port is the VIDEO standard that Apple has been using for a few years, and with the proper adapter or cable, supports HDMI, DVI or VGA display connections (or direct to Display Port equipped monitors, like Apple's cinema displays).  There is no audio out on a Display Port.

The laptop can connect to the BDA-1 via USB for 16/48.  Anything higher and you will need an external USB to S/PDIF converter.  Apple laptops and some PC laptops have a combination S/PDIF Mini-Toslink optical output combined within the headphone jack.  Does yours?

Steve

Napalm

« Reply #169 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:55 am »
There is not audio out on a Display Port.

Steve

Yes there is. Multichannel. I can get it producing sound through a Displayport -> HDMI adapter and a Denon HT receiver. So the sound is there.

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #170 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:56 am »
PC laptops have a combination S/PDIF Mini-Toslink optical output combined within the headphone jack.  Does yours?

Steve

Nope. The jack is analog only. And kinda' sucks at it.

Nap.

Phil A

« Reply #171 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:57 am »
It's the new thing that is supposed to replace HDMI. There are Displayport -> HDMI adapters but that's about all I can do.

Nap.

Then you get an HDMI audio de-embedder -
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

It sounds best without an HDMI cable connected at the output for some reason.  It will handle 192kHz audio.  It is made by Port-ta, a company based on the Far East and they sell it under model no. PET4000.  I have both the Monoprice and Port-ta devices and they appear identical.  I use it with an Oppo Blu-Ray player to extract 88.2kHz PCM from SACD and upconvert it in the BDA-1.

Phil A

« Reply #172 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:04 am »
Here's the page on the Port-ta product - http://www.port-ta.com/products/203.html

Napalm

« Reply #173 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:08 am »

Phil A

« Reply #174 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:17 am »
The interesting thing is that the coax digital out of the HDMI audio de-embedder to my ears actually sounds a bit better than going through the Oppo (which I guess was built with emphasis on output via HDMI).  I think they are great for cheap product.  I actually might pick up a Sony 370 Blu-Ray player (open box buys are $80 and the player seem to sell everywhere for $100 now) which is supposed to convert SACD to 176.4kHz PCM.

Welly123

« Reply #175 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:09 am »
Now a serious question: would anyone here be interested in running digital filters (such as tone controls, EQ, compressors etc) on their BDP-1? Like in real-time filters (the file stays unmodified)?

Nap.

Hi Napalm, sounds interesting. Especially for those poor quality CDs resulting from the "loudness" affliction, of course I appreciate that there's little that can be done to add back the missing information but the BDP-1 does seem to expose those ripped CDs for what they are: crap recordings. Real-time filters could improve the situation, and add another element to the BDP-1.

Regards

Russell

vengky

« Reply #176 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:25 pm »
Having listened to the BDP-1 for a few days, I have to say that it has easily exceeded my expectations. It is an amazing experience to rip a CD you are very familiar with (when played using a CD transport and the BDA-1), and then be flat out stunned by the improvement when the same 44kHz music is played through the BDP-1  :thumb:

Heard the combo at the dealer's showroom paired with the new PMC FB1i Signature and I was extremely impressed. Then today my dealer brought it over to my listening room and I was seduced by the combo. It has incredible clarity and details without the digital glare. Horns have the attack and bite but without the sharp piercing sound that i usually get when playing computer audio. Vocals were clear  full body not sterile with a tinge of warmth. I was thinking to myself is this digital?  This I am referring to CD rips. For the Hi-rez downloads its another level all together. You just have to hear it for yourself at 192kHz rate. It is truly stunning. Computer audiophiles should test drive this new "digital turntable" of the future  :lol:

I usually take my time when it comes to purchasing new gear, wait for more feedback and user reviews but I came away so impressed that I gave in to my impulse and paid for the combo on the spot.

I have ordered the black face plate combo  :) which I have been given to understand is not the default colour for Asia and will take some time to arrive  :scratch: It can't arrive soon enough  :D

Rupret

« Reply #177 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:08 am »
This forum is BDP-1 feedback so as someone who has used the BDP-1 for several weeks I'm offering my feedback:

My system is BDP-1 -> BDA-1 -> BP26 -> 2x 7BSST2 -> 2x B&W802D

The sound:  Amazing.

Ease of Use (i.e., User Interface:  Mini-Max ... front panel):  Caveman.

Bottom line:   The sound is great but don't expect to easily manage a music library.   If sound is the top priority then the BDP-1 is definitely the way to go.

NOTE:  I rip my CD's to FLAC and listen to them through the BDP-1.  I've been through 3 iterations of ripping my CD's and am suggesting that you use dbPoweramp as it somehow works noticeably better than the others that I have tried.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #178 on: 12 Dec 2010, 04:52 am »
Rupret,

what do you mean by "don't expect to easily manage a music library"?

al.

Welly123

« Reply #179 on: 12 Dec 2010, 11:02 am »
This forum is BDP-1 feedback so as someone who has used the BDP-1 for several weeks I'm offering my feedback:

My system is BDP-1 -> BDA-1 -> BP26 -> 2x 7BSST2 -> 2x B&W802D

The sound:  Amazing.

Ease of Use (i.e., User Interface:  Mini-Max ... front panel):  Caveman.

Bottom line:   The sound is great but don't expect to easily manage a music library.   If sound is the top priority then the BDP-1 is definitely the way to go.

NOTE:  I rip my CD's to FLAC and listen to them through the BDP-1.  I've been through 3 iterations of ripping my CD's and am suggesting that you use dbPoweramp as it somehow works noticeably better than the others that I have tried.

With respect, I must disagree with the statement “don’t expect to easily manage a music library”. Although I do agree with all of your other statements.

I also use dbPowerAmp and rip in FLAC using the following naming/file format:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[track] [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[track][] - [artist] - [title] - [genre]

This allows the ripped files to be effectively stored/named in a simple and viable structure with minimum modification, on a 1TB USB drive connected to the BDP-1, and visible on my home network for additions/deletions. The only change I make is to break-out “Artists A~M/N~Z”, “Groups A~M/N~Z” and “Compilations A~M/N~Z” with further folders for other major categories (Classical, Vocal, Live etc.). Using mPod on a iTouch and the “Other” option and selecting “Browse” it is very simple to see and locate virtually any artist/album. The standard mPod Artist/Album/Search functions all seem to work OK and are independent of the file saving structure detailed above.

I’m sure that I will further refine the above as I’ve only had the BDP-1 for a week, and so far am simply enjoying the great sounds. Even with the initial intension of doing comparisons and evaluations, I just keep enjoying the music and forget about the “technical aspects”.

My primary music system set-up is now: BDP-1 (AES/EBU) > Anthem D2v (XLR) > 7BSSTs  > JAS Audio Platos

Regards
Russell