Science Fiction Operas

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Science Fiction Operas
« on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:40 am »
I loved the 1959 Blomdahl's Aniara Opera on 90s years Capriccio records.    Do you know others science fiction operas??

http://www.amazon.com/Karl-Birger-Blomdahl-Aniara-Space-Opera/dp/B00008EXWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261792520&sr=1-1

geezer

Re: Science Fiction Operas
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2009, 02:26 am »
I've never heard of a science fiction opera before. As I dislike that type of movie, I doubt I will ever watch this opera.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2009, 06:47 pm »
I've never heard of a science fiction opera before. As I dislike that type of movie, I doubt I will ever watch this opera.
Hi Geezer,
The sound effects and music of this Opera are real stunning, just like Ligeti or Subotnik, a beautiful journey.  Aniara is not like a modern science-fiction movie from the 80s or 90s, it is more like Kubric's 2001, or a Wagner opera, it is in the old language of science-fiction from the cold-war,
it was premiered in 1959.
I have not watch any VHS/DVD of this Opera though, but the scenarios must be all inspiring.
Regards,  Gustavo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniara_%28opera%29

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2009, 07:26 am »
It sounds interesting; can't say I've heard of any others, though.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:15 am »
Hi Chappy, Thanks for this nice options, I was unaware Adams had a new opera.
Regards, Gustavo

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:26 pm »
I have to admit that I am not really keen on modern and post modern music.  What you call the science fiction opera seems to be a genre of postmodern music that synthesizes a lot of modern strains of musical "developments."  I took a really interesting post graduate course that was called "fragmentation and integration" in arts.  The objective was to look at the modern trend of fragmenting "-isms" like minimalism, structuralism, serialism, deconstructionism, etc. and see if there are integrations taking place.  It's a search of a cultural semiosis, closing of the loop if you will,  that will establish a meaning in someway.  Philip Glass is one man who is on this as a living.  There is another person who put out his version of a semiotic masterpiece that integrated a life long journey into music. 

That is Frank Zappa!

I think his final work, Civilization, Phase III is an Opera (now that I think of it) and it is a powerful one. 

The epithet of the opera and Zappa's music is in the final dialogue:

Spider: We can get our strength up by making some music
John: That's right
Monica: Yeah . . . yeah
John: But the thing is, you know what?
Spider: What?
John: We don't even understand our own music
Spider: It doesn't, does it matter whether we understand it? At least it'll give us . . . strength
John: I know but maybe we could get into it more if we understood it
Spider: We'd get more strength from it if we understood it?
John: Yeah
Spider: No, I don't think so, because -- see I think, I think our strength comes from our uncertainty. If we understood it we'd be bored with it and then we couldn't gather any strength from it
John: Like if we knew about our music one of us might talk and then that would be the end of that

Doesn't it remind you of the ending in a Samuel Becket Play?  :o

Thanks for bringing up the other ones.  I will have to listen to John Adams.