playing cds through the BDP...

rmurray

Re: playing cds through the BDP...
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2021, 03:41 am »
  Thanks James ...take care :thumb:

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2021, 03:43 pm »
So  does the BDP3 have more power than the BDP2 maybe ?

Yes.  No mention of it in the BDP-3 manual, but USB 3.0 ports are rated at 900 mA.

Some drives come with a double-headed USB cable which I am now using (on two different USB headers on the back of the BDP-2) just to be safe.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2021, 04:04 pm »
Yes.  No mention of it in the BDP-3 manual, but USB 3.0 ports are rated at 900 mA.

Some drives come with a double-headed USB cable which I am now using (on two different USB headers on the back of the BDP-2) just to be safe.  Ah, now this is good to hear  ..900mA rather than 500....so those little drives won't overload the BDP3..correct...?..Thanks again folks :thumb:

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2021, 06:03 pm »
  OK, so  who  or what  is a good wall wart drive.... ?  Sounds like this would be the answer  but the better one would be to have the  BOT put back into production

Depends what you mean by "good".  Any optical drive in a desktop package will have a DC input and would work (doesn't have to be $1000) but they are harder to find.  The problem with the portable "slim" drives is they make a lot of noise spinning the CD at full RPM all the time.

The Asus Blu-ray drive linked here is a 16X BD-R and 40X CD reader!

An older 2X-6X BD-R drive will spin the CD a bit slower (24X).

Pioneer "Auto Quiet mode" may be an even better choice for us:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-XS07S

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2021, 06:30 pm »

Dear redbook, when you quote reply to a message kindly type your reply after the /quote tag or your response is difficult to find.

Hopefully Bryston will provide an official answer on potential long-term damage from drawing too much current through the USB bus.  However in the computer world millions of people are pushing the USB standard with these drives on a trial and error basis.  Many tablet PCs are known to have insufficient power (by design) to run an optical drive.  In other words, they just try it and if it works they don't worry about it.

I can confirm that using the double-header USB cable does help, as it allows my power-hungry Asus drive to work on my lowly BDP-2.  It might work with a single cable on a BDP-3 USB 3.0 port.  Using the double cable on your BDP-3 will increase your chances of success, and with a total of 1800 mA of current (minimum) will eliminate any chance of problems.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2021, 06:14 pm »
 Ok , sorry but I'm confused again . Using an external blue ray drive can read a cd....? :scratch: I like that powered  Aesus  one  that is mentioned earlier in this  thread...but I thought that  blue ray drives can'r read a redbook cd.....

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2021, 06:43 pm »
Ok , sorry but I'm confused again . Using an external blue ray drive can read a cd....? :scratch: I like that powered  Aesus  one  that is mentioned earlier in this  thread...but I thought that  blue ray drives can'r read a redbook cd.....

They sure can - look at the chart I posted above with the drive read/write speeds.  The problem with the Asus is I don't know how quiet it is, being a 40X speed demon.

The little Pioneer has a quiet mode and doesn't use a lot of power but it also has a DC in, if you prefer.

Here's another option if you prefer something more traditional sized:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-X12UBK

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2021, 06:05 pm »
Another option: LG 24X External DVD Writer with Silent Play model GE24NU40, which I just bought on eBay for a fraction of the Pioneer price.

I can confirm that it works with the Bryston BDPx and is virtually silent playing a CD.  It is about the size of a BOT-1 also quite solid and has rubber feet so it stays put when you push the button  :D