Fluance turntables

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Fluance turntables
« on: 13 Feb 2024, 07:01 pm »
What are some cartridges that work with the RT-85's tonearm?

What are some cartridges that work with the RT-85n's tonearm ?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Fluance turntables
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2024, 02:41 am »
So they pre-package a few different cartridges in their tables, but in looking at the tonearm mass vs the resulting resonance frequencies, you'd be much better suited with the Nagaoka MP110 than you would with an Ortofon 2M Blue. Another aftermarket option that would match well would be a Sumiko Rainier.

Just an FYI, there are tonearm resonance calculators that really help get an idea of complimentary pairings.
Tonearm Resonance Calculator

Info needed is tonearm effective mass, mass of cartridge and hardware, and dynamic compliance of cartridge.

Bob Stark

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2024, 06:24 am »
My best friend has the Fluance 81 or 82.  He is using the cartridge that is one more advanced than the TT/arm it shows the picture with.  I tried to put a Grace F9E cartridge on there and it won't go on.  Stay with the cartridges they show.  If you want to spent more money on the cartridge, get the ones that are upgrades within their lineup.  I have a very good analog setup that costs 10 times more than his Fluance, BUT...I was very impressed with the sound that combo of his brought.  Total he paid about $450-500 for the TT/arm/cartridge.  In today's money, that setup sounded mighty good.

Bob

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2024, 11:37 am »
I'd note that these are two very different turntables.  The RT80 and RT81 are very different in performance than the much higher quality RT82 thru RT85.  Within those two groups the differences is the supplied cartridge and in the RT85 you get the acrylic platter.  Thus you can buy the 82 and upgrade to the 85 at any time in the future saving $200 now, but you can't ever upgrade the 80 or 81 more than a new cartridge.

strateahed

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2024, 12:46 am »
I have the Fluance RT85, and after comparing with other sub-$1,000 tables, found it to be feature rich and a great value. Regarding cartridges, I sold the Ortofon 2M Blue that came with it (quick sale) and replaced it with an Audio-Technica VM750SH cartridge ... costing nearly as much as the TT itself. and have it paired with an Audio Horizons tube phono stage. I've been very pleased with this set-up.   Also I've read some good things about the Nagaoka MP-200 ... slightly more expensive and it comes already mounted on removable head shell. Purchase from Amazon & return if not to your liking.