I don't know what it is but it's free! Computer sound module

jermmd

Proteus VX
This sound like something related to audio so I thought people might be interested.

Joe M.

srb

The original E-mu Proteus was a hardware sound module that contained sampled instrument sounds that were triggered either realtime by a MIDI keyboard or for playing back previously recorded music from a MIDI sequencer.

The hardware sound modules have continually lost market share to computer based software sound programs (although still popular for live performance if you don't want to mess with the unpredictability and hassles of a computer on stage).

If you play a keyboard that has a MIDI or USB output and want to have better sounds than are built into the keyboard (and don't mind adding a computer into the mix), or if you record or compose music into a MIDI software sequencer, this would provide some nice realistic acoustic and synthesized instrument sounds.

Steve

jermmd

Thanks Steve, this might actually be something I can play with. I have a nice keyboard that outputs MIDI.

Joe

srb

When I started with MIDI in the mid-late 80's (on a DOS computer), my first MIDI Interface was a PC card that fit into an ISA slot and cost $170.

When soundcards later appeared, you could get a MIDI cable that attached to the 15-pin joystick/game port.

Now there are very inexpensive MIDI to USB converters and cables, as well as full-fledged external USB or FireWire interfaces that provide full sound mixing, recording, playback and MIDI interface for $100 and up.

Although MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface, back then we called it Money Intensive Digital Insanity.

Steve