***Sub Cabinet Design***

patricksalter

Re: Sub Cabinet Design
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:25 pm »
Peter, can you tell me a little about your painting process?   Are you spraying or brushing?   I'm assuming you are using Urethane. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #41 on: 26 Jan 2011, 06:09 am »
Peter, can you tell me a little about your painting process?   Are you spraying or brushing?   I'm assuming you are using Urethane.

Patrick, I'd always spray unless I was going for some effect with brush, and yes, two stage urethanes would be my weapon of choice.

On MDF, urethane high build primer, then sand 220. Fill and sand, probably one more coat of primer, sand to 320 or 380. Spray color, then two coats of clear. Wet sand 600 or 800, two more clear, wet sand to 1200 or 1500. Power compound and polish. 

I don't have a paint booth so the last cut and buff is necessary to get piano finish. Ruben gets some killer finishes, and has what appears to be a really nice booth.

FWIW, Wood cabinets with lacquer are easier to get looking good, the glossy paint finishes are tougher.

sl_1800

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:55 pm »
Peter J,

In my former life I painted cars for a living, even with a good booth you can still get dust nibs that need to be sanded away and buffed. Meguiars makes some hard abrasive blocks in different grits that is great for really getting those dust nibs completely flat.  A word of caution with them is to use a finer grit than you think you need, my recommendation would be the 2000 grit block.  http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+SAND+1000

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #43 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:58 pm »
Peter J,

In my former life I painted cars for a living, even with a good booth you can still get dust nibs that need to be sanded away and buffed. Meguiars makes some hard abrasive blocks in different grits that is great for really getting those dust nibs completely flat.  A word of caution with them is to use a finer grit than you think you need, my recommendation would be the 2000 grit block.  http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+SAND+1000
Thanks for the rec SL, I'll remember that. I've used a kind of hard rubber block with loose paper in the past. I don't work in the auto paint world and there's a bewildering array of products available. Fortunately, the folks at at the paint supply houses are willing to guide me, but when it gets outside of painting cars specifically, (like MDF), I've had to wing it at times.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #44 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm »
They look great Peter!

Ruben

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #45 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:19 am »
Just so y'all don't think I fell off the earth with this project...

Shot some primer today,

Sorry for picture quality, didn't have my camera so used phone.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:22 am »
I've been experimenting with some unusual finishing techniques. Some were visual duds, some complete failures but I think I've landed on one that I really like for the side panels.

This is a chemical patina on copper gilding. The clear coat is a quickie shot of urethane just to get a feel for what it will look like, so disregard the orange peel.

What do y'all think?

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2011, 02:06 pm by Peter J »

srb

« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:32 am »
Very organic looking, like some kind of slate or stone.

Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #48 on: 15 Apr 2011, 02:26 am »
Very organic looking, like some kind of slate or stone.

Steve

Interesting you should say that, I said something similar to my wife. Even though that wasn't my specific goal, when I finished the sample, it just clicked with me. What the picture doesn't show is an almost irridescent quality...I'm pretty stoked about it.

I'm actually thinking of finishing our front door like this!
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2011, 02:06 pm by Peter J »

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 15 Apr 2011, 07:16 am »
Hi Peter,

Nice work! :thumb: Very "earthy"...   

That should blend well with many different wood tones.

Have you decided on how you're going to finish the rest of the sub?

I've been itching to use a new metallic finish myself. I'm considering using this "Geode", or "Ice" patterned aluminum when I redue my N3's. Much to my surprise, the wife actually prefers the ice pattern! :o

Ruben

The actual height of these pieces is about 43".

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2011, 02:02 pm »

Have you decided on how you're going to finish the rest of the sub?

I've been itching to use a new metallic finish myself. I'm considering using this "Geode", or "Ice" patterned aluminum when I redue my N3's. Much to my surprise, the wife actually prefers the ice pattern! :o

Ruben

Piano black top and bottom, Ruben.

Those are cool looking...laminates?

Sounds like we run on the same track. A fountain of ideas and things we'd like to learn or try, just need time, money and things to use as test beds! Now that I write that, it kinda describes many of those who hang out here.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 15 Apr 2011, 04:34 pm »
Piano black top and bottom, Ruben.

That'll look great. :eyebrows:

Those are cool looking...laminates?

.025" Solid Aluminum

Sounds like we run on the same track. A fountain of ideas and things we'd like to learn or try, just need time, money and things to use as test beds!

Time is my biggest hurdle at the moment. :whip:

Here are some other possible contenders.

Ruben

4' x 8'

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #52 on: 7 Jun 2011, 12:10 am »
Getting back to this...been a while. Should be on the home stretch now.

Painted and cleared sides today. Gilded copper on the left, Porsche I-don't-remember-the-name gold on right, (looks more copper than gold). Tops, bottoms and sandboxes in black tommorrow.

Woo-hoo!

Plund

« Reply #53 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:17 am »
Peter J,  Woo-hoo is an understatement...the tops/bottoms look AWESOME!  :drool:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #54 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:13 am »
Absolutely gorgeous! Those will be beautiful - definitely something to highlight the room.

(insert envious emoticon here  :green:)

HT cOz

« Reply #55 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm »
Wow that is cool  :thumb:

jparkhur

« Reply #56 on: 9 Jun 2011, 12:18 am »
That both is worth more than my car.. ha... cool.... :P

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #57 on: 9 Jun 2011, 12:32 am »
That both is worth more than my car.. ha... cool.... :P

Mine too! If I remember right, Chris told me he paid about $35K in 2003. It's his baby and I'm grateful to be able to rent it...nicest booth I've worked in...nice guy too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 9 Jun 2011, 03:29 am »
Man, I am thinking that a pair of Super-V's painted up like that would look awesome.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #59 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:37 pm »
Man, I am thinking that a pair of Super-V's painted up like that would look awesome.

Maybe someday, Danny. :D Been tumbling ideas in my head about building some  since you introduced them, but haven't landed on a vision that's made it beyond the thinking stage...I'm sometimes a slow ponderer! And builder too, I guess, working on these subs since last fall...hmmm...