Evolution One Monoblocks

walterslw

Evolution One Monoblocks
« on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:59 pm »
Hi There,

Hoping someone from NuPrime can help clarify this question :-)...

I am investigating / researching adding a pair of REL subs to my audio system.    I believe that the output of the NuPrime Evolution Ones are fully symmetrical?    The answer to this has implications to the type of high-level output cable needed for the REL subs.  I.E with many balanced / fully symmetrical amps, a user cannot connect the Negative output to ground.   Just need to verify.

Thanks in advance.
Lou

rustydoglim

Re: Evolution One Monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2021, 08:06 pm »
Yes, you can connect.
But it is our recommendation that the line level input to REL will provide better bass.
REL's purpose of taking the inputs from speaker terminals is that the sub woofer will be able to match the sonic characteristic of the amp. Furthermore, some preamps or DACs do not have additional output for the sub.
But if the amp has neutral sonic characteristic, then you are accepting a much higher noise level by taking the output of the amp instead of from the preamp.  So I encourage you to compare, if you can't tell the difference, then don't connect the speaker outputs to REL.

walterslw

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2021, 05:02 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Rusty.   I have followed RELs advise for connecting to a Class D amp.   Connecting line level really isn't an option for me.  For one, I am not going to be running another 2 X 30 foot RCA cables from the output of my pre amp to the location of the two RELs.  This will add cost, and raise the output impedance of my pre amp - not that it really matters with the EVO Ones 1'sMOhm input impedance.     So for me it is more about convenience of connecting to each Monoblock nearby.
There is no increase in noise whatsoever.  In fact, within about 30 minutes, I had the two carbon subs dialed in, and they sound GLORIOUS!.   I own Von Schweikert Speakers, and when Albert was alive he always recommended going into subs via high-level to maintain the sound.   I actually would like to compare the difference between RCA and High-level, just don't have the ability to do so right now, and really don't want to run 30 foot RCA cables.   The balanced out from my pre is feeding the amps directly ;-).    What's nice is that the EVO Ones have a grounding nut at the back.

THanks
Lou

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2021, 07:32 pm »
Good point, I forgot that sub(s) could be far away from the preamp.