Room measurement question

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Room measurement question
« on: 27 Oct 2018, 12:53 am »
When taking room measurements using a UMIC-1 with the microphone at the listening position, should the mic be pointed straight up, horizontially towards the speaker, or it doesn’t matter since it is an omnidirectional mic?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Room measurement question
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2018, 01:38 am »
When taking room measurements using a UMIC-1 with the microphone at the listening position, should the mic be pointed straight up, horizontially towards the speaker, or it doesn’t matter since it is an omnidirectional mic?

Depends on what frequency range you are measuring. And for that matter, there is a different calibration file for straight up/down (0 degrees) vs. pointed at a right angle (90 degrees).

Straight up/down for frequencies less than 300Hz.

The 90 degree angle makes a particular difference at > 5khz. I use it to see top end extension. And actually I have measured at 0 degrees all the way out to 20khz. The difference is the last octave is tilted down a little. I would suggest you look in the Minidsp site under Applications as there is a lot of good information there.

90 degrees for > 300 Hz.

Best,
Anand.

artur9

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2018, 01:41 am »
The experts say straight up but sometimes the software one is using for room correction has different instructions.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2018, 04:20 pm »
Anand,

Thanks. I wondered why there were two calbration files, one with 90 at the end. The REW instructions said to use the 90 file but not why. I have been doing it wrong, pointing the mic up but using the 90 degree calibration file.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2018, 04:22 pm »
The experts say straight up but sometimes the software one is using for room correction has different instructions.

That’s what I thought too but after reading Anand’s answer I understand what goes with what

Mike